ARCHIVE

We are Robots

>

Sick of It

Sick of It

We are Robots
Old 07-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am very sick of how things are in my district. We have no union. We are given scripted programs to teach. Everything is spelled out, and we best not deviate! "Planning periods" are taken up for meetings. No bathroom or lunch breaks. Heaven forbid we have a restroom emergency...you best call the office and see *if* someone can cover your room (never happens). When you have a teacher next door watch your class when no one comes, you pray no one spots you going to the restroom. Required to purchase things out of our own pocket. I wanted to do small groups and I'm told NO.

BRONX

Times are changing
Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We feel the same way in our district. (Although we are allowed to go to the bathroom)
Our day is planned out for us. Our programs are scripted including reading and writing workshop. They even bought guided reading books with cards that tell us what to say. In time things will change. we just have to close our door and ride it out. Know you are not alone. Even with our strong union their is not much they can do for us when it comes to curriculum. Check your state labor laws about bathroom breaks. We had to do that for teachers who went 4 classes in a row.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

senseigold

Old 07-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

you might also want to ask your doctor to write up an order that you need to use the restroom when you need to use the restroom.

how sad is it they spend so much money to pay us for our education and expertise but then their expectations for us could just as easily be handled by an eighth grader. how are the kids expected to learn anything?
senseigold is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4k

Just a little note
Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

According to Federal Law....if you are working 7 3/4 hours a day they are required to give you 1/2 hr. break for lunch and 2 - 15 min. breaks. They cannot refuse to let you go to the bathroom. Even if you don't have a union you still have those rights and maybe someone needs to get in touch with the area of Fed Gov that handles that.
teach4k is offline   Reply With Quote

sassy56

I hear you!!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Kids come in my room at 7:30 a.m. and if I didn't have a special I went until 12:30 before I could use the bathroom!! We only get 20 minutes for lunch so most of that was used going to the bathroom.

sassy56 is offline   Reply With Quote