Help

ARCHIVE

Need Instructions for Rain Gutter Shelves

>

NeeCee

Need Instructions for Rain Gutter Shelves
Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have seen two classrooms that have pictures with these rain gutter shelves and in spite of zooming to a ridiculous enlargement size, I cannot figure out how they are attached.

So, someone please save my sanity and tell me step my step how I can have this marvelous display in my own room!

Oh yeah, where can I buy them? Will the store cut them to size, etc? Are the edges smooth so kids don't lose a finger? Etc.....

Thanks!

NeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote

Katybee

Old 07-28-2010, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love this from Pre-K Pages

OK...won't let me post...

google pre-k pages. Go to the blog. Look at her recent posts. You'll see it.
Katybee is offline   Reply With Quote

kaysif

Rain Gutter
Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have them in my class room and I LOVE THEM!!! I purchased a 10' (?) vinyl rain gutter (pretty inexpensive) from our local building and supply store. DH cut it in half with a hacksaw very easily, sanded down the rough edges and mounted it for me the first time. I have since moved it and mounted it this time myself. Electric screw drivers are great!! I got the vinyl because like you, I was worried about the sharp edges. There really are none. I would send a picture but I haven't been granted that privilege yet.
kaysif is offline   Reply With Quote

flor2398

Old 07-28-2010, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have also used gutter shelves in the past and I LOVE them. I prefer the vinyl gutters from Lowes as opposed to Home Depot because they have heavy-duty brackets that go underneath the gutter. These brackets were a bit more expensive, but the others slid on the top, and didn't look like they would support as much weight. Also, the gutters from Lowes have ridges along the inside/bottom, and it helps the books stand up a bit taller.
I bought 10' gutters and sawed them in half with a hacksaw. The edges sand smooth very easily.

I bought 2 brackets for each 5' shelf. You screw the brackets to the wall and then just snap the gutter into place. I would recommend screwing the brackets into a stud, or using drywall anchors. (I haven't tried screwing them into cinderblock, although I know there are ways to do it.)

Good luck to you! You will love the way your books ar displayed on these shelves...instant classroom cheer!
flor2398 is offline   Reply With Quote

sandrus

Shelves
Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Did you all ask your principal before installing the shelves? I think that the shelves would look wonderful but I don't want to bother my principal when she is busy this summer to ask if I can do it. What do you think?

sandrus is offline   Reply With Quote