Help

ARCHIVE

Abundance of INDEX CARDS

>

LoriVincent

Abundance of INDEX CARDS
Old 07-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What could I do with index cards in my 5th grade classroom other than make flashcards with them? I received a HUGE donation of ruled, regular-sized cards, and I don't want them to go to waste. Yes, I plan on sharing with my coworkers

LoriVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

platypus

every once in a while...
Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would pass out index cards in my seventh grade class and write a question on the board.

What do you want to be when you grow up?
What's your favorite meal?
What do you want for Christmas?
What makes a good friend? etc.

I'd put them on a posterboard, decorate the posterboard (generally just with clip art from Word) and laminate and then stick it on the door.

They didn't put their names on the front of the cards.

They loved it and loved trying to guess which card belonged to which student.

Even one of the too cool for school boys asked me when I was going to do another one after one had been on the door for awhile.
platypus is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Vocabulary cards (could be placed on a ring)
Concentration/memory games
Pockets to hold things - inside notebooks, if you take notes.
Finger Pocket Signs - making a pocket with paper, upturned edges to make a "shelf", then place the cards in the "shelf" to indicate answers. I do this for quick and fun assessments - prime/composite, odd/even, yes/no, true/false, A/B/C/D, etc.
Digit Cards (for math)
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Giraffiesauru

Exit cards
Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

at about 5 minutes to the end of the period, ask the kids to write one thing they learned and one question they still have. I use exit tickets to recess all the time. Sometimes it is a response to a question on the board.
Giraffiesauru is offline   Reply With Quote

CaNiKi

Old 07-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use them as desk nametags. The kids design their own.

CaNiKi is offline   Reply With Quote

cfoster

index cards
Old 07-28-2010, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

1. I cut them in half and give students a ziplock bag and have them make vocabulary flash cards to study for tests.

2. math flash cards.

3. I also use them to make setting cards, plot cards, main character cards (themed pictures) after reading stories.

4. Use them for Venn Diagram boards.

5. Write their own math word problems, then exchange cards. Students have a limited time to solve before switching again. Have each student complete every card. Number the cards by student numbers or rows etc. It may take a couple of days to get finished with all cards. If you didn't want to switch you could have them at a centers.

6. Behavior management cards (if you have colors.)

7. Make their own postcards for pen pals.

8. Invitations to Open House.

9. Make your own bookmarks.

10. Write kids names on them and use them to call on students are decide who lines up first.

11. Lunch count boards. (Tray or lunch box; hot or cold lunches.)

These are things I have done with index cards. I can never have too many! I use them all the time!!!!!

cfoster is offline   Reply With Quote

catgirl79

Old 07-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have made my own response cards for quick assessments. I have a set with yes and no on each side, a set of 4 cards labeled a,b,c,d, a set with noun, verb, adj, and adv. The kids like when we use them I hand out the appropriate card set and then ask questions for a review or informal assessment.
catgirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpal12

Assessment
Old 07-28-2010, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use a lot of index cards for assessment. I will get a child to put their name on the front of a card and then I put them all on a ring. I can circulate the room while they are working and make notes and observations.

Quite often I will call them to my desk one by one and present them with a math problem. They answer it on one side of the card and then I make notes on the other side.

I also use them for my choice boards. I print the choice activities on labels and then stick them to the cards. I make 8 or 10 cards for each choice. When the children pick the activity they want to do they put their name on it and then I put them on the ring again for assessment notes.

I also use them for spelling words. The children write their spelling words for the week on them and I keep them in my spelling pocket chart.

Hope you come up with a use for them....I bought 3 packs yesterday
teacherpal12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mollie4

cards
Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Besides all the other suggestions, I use index cards to make jeopardy games. I put them in pocket charts.
Mollie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyLilli

Old 07-28-2010, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In addition to lots of the other uses posted....

My kids also use them to keep their research writing organized (ie each source on a different card).

DaisyLilli is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

didn't read all other responses...
Old 07-28-2010, 11:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

but i'm guessing my ideas haven't been shared:

1. get to know you/team builder--each kid writes 5 things about themselves + their name on a card. throughout the week/month/year, the teacher pulls out cards--everyone stands at first. you read the most general comment. "i have a dog" everyone with a dog remains standing---you can look around to see who has that in common. "i love to go camping" everyone who has a dog AND loves camping remains standing. "i own all of the Harry Potter books", "i have a sister", until you get to the most specific...you have fewer and fewer kids standing. read the last comment (you've arranged it so it's the most specific) "i have broken 4 different bones"---usually it's the person who wrote the card remaining, but sometimes there are a few kids still standing---interesting that those kids have all those things in common. then you can tell who actually wrote the card.

2. take a poster board, glue down library pockets, laminate, and use a scissor blade or box cutter to slice open tops of pockets. make cards with questions or fill-in-blank statements about a particular reading (or any topic you are working on). you can have students each pick a card, or groups pick a card and then discuss and share with the class.
examples: *which character in the story are you most like, and why?
*which 2 vocabulary words from the story do you think are the most similar and why?
*why did Julia give Burt the ball of yarn?
*what do you think happened the next day?

(i try to hit all 3 levels of Costa's Levels of Questions when i do this.)

for my last year's observation/evaluation, i did a group activity where a kid from each group had to pick an orange card (comprehension questions from a story we just read) and someone else in the group had to pick a blue card (vocabulary). they discussed the questions in small groups and then shared with the class. i then asked them which level question they were given. my princ LOVED it!

you could use this to start a unit, as well---what do the kids already know or prior experience or predicting to get them excited.

(oh, i got bright colored post-its at Staples)

for our teacher BTS get-to-know-you activity, i did the same thing. (i always try to find a way to use something that teachers can use in their classrooms)---as teachers walked into the meeting, they chose a card from the poster. there were questions like:
*what big project did you get done this summer?
*what will you miss most about summer?
*what school-related activity did you do this summer?
*what was the best book that you read this summer?
*if your summer were a bumper sticker, what would it say?

i also use index cards for number lines (decimals, pos/neg numbers). for matching/concentration of multiplication and division (use separately)---so 89 x 3 and then the answer on another card. (kids can estimate to see if they are close to being a match)
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

cindyteacher

Research-jot notes
Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I use them to teach them how to take notes from a resource.

Subheading goes on the top
and jot notes follow
cindyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LoriVincent

Who knew?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I had no idea I would get so many useful ways to incorporate these cards in my class. Thank you all. Keep those ideas coming!!!
LoriVincent is offline   Reply With Quote