Help

ARCHIVE

Speaking for other classmates... problem

>

sunsets11

Speaking for other classmates... problem
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach fifth and on move up day I encountered a problem that I'm not used to having. I'm not sure if this will be needing a "solution" exactly or not... but I'd like to have a few ideas up my sleeve if it happens on day one.

I will have a couple of kids with speach impediments for different reasons. They are difficult to understand. They need a few extra seconds to get out their words, and sometimes need to repeat what they said to be understood. I have no problem asking them to repeat and letting them take their time, but the school isn't all that big so many of their classmates have been in their classes before.

On move up day, I had kids try to speak for these kids immediately. Kid A (speech impediment) starts to ask a question, Kid B (trying to be helpful) jumps in and finishes the thought or restates. I want Kid A to be able to speak for himself, without creating a problem for Kid B who is really trying to help. I'd like to create an environment that waits, and promotes trying!

BTW - these kids are really hard to understand. I know that will get easier as I get to know them, and I know that the speech resources at my school will help.

sunsets11 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsDriver

MrsDriver

Just tell...
Old 07-28-2010, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the helpers that while you appreciate that they are being kind and helpful you really want to hear the other student. If the other student feels they need help then they can ask for it.

roo

Old 07-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You'll probably have to teach this with examples. You'll need to let the class know that some of them, while well-intentioned, are assuming that their classmates need help when they really do not and are causing frustration because of their quickness to help. You could give an example of someone whose handwriting isn't the most beautiful in the class. What if another student jumped in and started writing for them? If someone wasn't eating lunch as quickly as others, would someone start feeding that student? Emphasize that everyone has the right to be as self-sufficient as possible and will ask for help if needed.
roo is offline   Reply With Quote