Help

BusyBoard

Bucket fillers

>

g8torteacher

Bucket fillers
Old 07-30-2010, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can someone tell me how they do their bucket fillers with their class. I thought about doing it with 4th graders. but the book looks like it's for younger kids. Can you do it with just 1 bucket or does everyone need a bucket? Also, where can I get small buckets and clear shoe holders for the buckets. I guess I just need to know how to organize this. Thanks

g8torteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sunnyteach03

Old 07-30-2010, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year it became a hassle and time consuming. This year I am doing whatno learned from another 4th grade teacher. Bulletin board, use thumb tacks to put small red solo plastic cups on the board. These are each student's buckets. Friday morning work is to put a drop into a randomly chosen students bucket. Students collect their drop at the end of the day.
sunnyteach03 is offline   Reply With Quote

OhioTeach

First year with Bucket Fillers
Old 07-30-2010, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am going to try Bucket Fillers this year. The books seems to be for younger children, but older ones should enjoy them, too. I purchased my buckets at Oriental Trader. They arrived in great shape. I am going to have my children complete a short little form and tuck it in the student buckets. Then at the end of the week I am going to have the children bring them to me as I will staple them in their planners. This will give the children something to share with their families each week.

Goodluck with your project. I hope it is a success.

Peace,
OhioTeach

http://www.mrforsythe.blogspot.com/
OhioTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tisa

Bucket Fillers
Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This will be my first year doing this. I got a paint bucket from Lowe's that I decorated, and I'm going to have all students use this one. I'll read the positive "fillers" that have been put in it at the end of the week and then display them on a cupboard door until the next Friday. I'll send those home and put the new weekly "fillers" on the cupboard door. I just don't have the room for everyone to have their own bucket. I'll just have to see how this works!
Tisa is offline   Reply With Quote

dee0404

Dollar store buckets
Old 07-30-2010, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach fourth grade and did bucket fillers last year and it was such a positive experience that I will be doing it again this year!!! Even though the book seems really young, fourth graders still enjoy reading it as a class and it fosters good class discussions on how people want to be treated in the classroom.
For buckets, I went to our local Dollar Tree and in the party/wedding section they had small white buckets that were cheaper than Oriental trader. Each student then had a bucket with their name on it that they had decorated sitting on the back ledge of the white board. On one of the teacher websites, I found slips of paper that the students filled out to fill someones bucket. I highly recommend allow them to fill the paper out because for some of these students, it is one of the few times that they feel special. We emptied buckets on Friday's at the end of the day. I always just made sure that everyone had something in their bucket and if not, I would fill a slip out. If I saw that there were many students that didn't have anything in their bucket I would just remind students to look for someone new that they might want to fill a bucket filler slip out for. (I hope this all makes sense)
Then as a class, instead of doing the marble jar when good choices were made by the whole class, I found a see-through paint can from Michaels. This bucket was our team bucket that we filled with puff balls and when it was full, they got a movie and a treat. Good luck!

dee0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

whtdaisies

Would these work?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm going to use the bucket fillers idea in my room this year. I was going to buy buckets, but as i was feeding my nephew his baby food, I took a good look at the container his food comes in and thought it might work.

They're the rectangular plastic ones (Gerber?). I thought maybe I could staple them onto my wall. I made business card-size slips on VistaPrint for the students to fill out, and I'm pretty sure the cards will fit. I'm going with polka dots in my room this year, so I was thinking of putting round stickers on them.

Thoughts? Thanks!
whtdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

sci.chick.330

whtdaises & ?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

whtdaises - I totally see that working! Sounds original & cute!!

Okay PTers.. I need help I really, really, really, really, really want to implement bucket fillers as part of my classroom. However, I'm the only teacher on my team that wants too. I don't want just my homeroom class to be a part of it - I would like each class to do it as well. So my question is...how I can set it up if I have 4 classes of about 25 kids each?!? I don't have room for 100 buckets

Ideas? Suggestions? Advice? Tips? Or am I just that crazy???
sci.chick.330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Amanda_09

Library Pockets?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What about a poster with those sticky library pocket things (the little pouches that are in the backs/fronts of library books that have the checkout card-or used to)? I'm thinking about leaning toward a class bucket or the card pocket thing. I think Beth Newingham's site has bucket clip art that I could print and glue on the pockets. They'd be easy enough to still fill out a slip (which I think is part of the important part about the whole idea- knowing what you did made a difference). Those are just my random thoughts. Let me know what you come up with so I can maybe "borrow" that idea.
Amanda_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

3moreyears

Bucket Filler Idea
Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am doing it on my team of three this year. So I have a bucket for each of us 3 teachers. The kids will put their slip of paper in the bucket according to their homeroom. So instead of 70 buckets I have 3 buckets, which then I didn't have to come up with a larger space to keep that many buckets. Have fun with this! I am looking forward to doing it this year in my 4th grade classes!
3moreyears is offline   Reply With Quote