Help

BusyBoard

Site Word Practice

>

cardnialteach

Site Word Practice
Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have never been a primary teacher so I am very new at this aspect. My former student teacher who is now a first grade teacher, but is not a member yet, asked for suggestions. Since I have never worked with primary in this way I thought PT would be the perfect place to start for tried ideas.

She needs a way to have her students practice their list of words and then test to check for mastery. They daily practice at school, but she would also like home practice as well. She knows not everyone will be on the same list at the same time, so a management tool would be helpful as well. She has been give a list of site words her students need to master by the end of 1st grade. If you have any ideas or suggestions on how you manage your site words, please respond so I can pass this along. Once she gets back to her room she is planning on joining PT too.

TIA

cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachelem

Site words
Old 07-30-2010, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here are some sites with great ways to practice. Hope they help.

www.theschoolbell.com/Links/Dolch/Contents.html

www.murray.k12.ga.us/teacher/donnabishop/Dolch.htm
teachelem is offline   Reply With Quote

westwitch

Spelling City?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have her go to spelling city . com and post the sight words in groups of however many she wants. The kids can go on at home or at school and work on the words with games, "teach me" format or drill. It's free and she can set it all up at once if she wishes.

Steps To Literacy catalog has some really cool desk top word wall name tags that she could use. She could take the lists from there and cover the list with a post-it note when they test on a particular list.

http://www.stepstoliteracy.com/Group...ord-Walls.aspx

If she needs "low tech", go for flash cards made from index cards (she could print them out and have the kids paste them on the cards if she wants a cut and paste activity). They can play concentration, Go Fish, put them in ABC order, quiz one another...
westwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teachkids

parent volunteers
Old 07-30-2010, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I taught 1st grade, I used parent volunteers for site words and spelling practice. That way I could run several groups at the same time. Since I had a few activities that I routinely used, it was very easy to train parents in them.
luv2teachkids is offline   Reply With Quote