Help

BusyBoard

Beta Fish as a class pet. Give me pros and cons

>

Miller

Beta Fish as a class pet. Give me pros and cons
Old 07-30-2010, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was thinking about doing a Beta Fish for a class pet. However, my classroom is a portable and while I've kept the air on the past week, I don't know what maintenance will do during the school year.

It can get pretty hot in there. I've had Beta Fish before in my personal home so it's never gotten too hot.

Give me pros/cons.

thanks

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

peggy27

love them
Old 07-30-2010, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have had many betas. they don't take much work and the kids love them. My problem is they turn our heat off on Friday at 4 and it's off until Monday morning and they would get too cold. We have a few buried in the grass on the side of our school. It's hard to bury in the snow. Hmm, maybe I should try again and bring it home on the weekends. they are so pretty to watch too.
peggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

jet setter

Maybe wait until 2nd or 3rd quarter
Old 07-30-2010, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had one last year because the kids kept bugging me for a class pet. The class was usually good for me but when we had a sub they took advantage of the person. I had a bunch of dates that I was going to be gone so I told them if I got good reports back we could get one after the holiday break.

Our building turned the heat low at night and on the weekends so I also had to invest in a heater that stayed in the water. I found a cheap 5 gallon tank at Walmart that had a filter so the water stayed clean. There was also a catfish to clean the rocks at the bottom.

A negative I found was taking the fish home over spring break and taking it back to school... it was just one more thing to deal with when all I wanted to do was get out!

I bought a blue beta and I'm glad I did because the darn thing died over spring break. Luckily I was able to find another one that looked similar and the kids never knew the difference, lol.
jet setter is offline   Reply With Quote

megangsu05

Nasty!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We got our MiID class a beta, and they were really stinky! We had to wash out the tank almost everyday. That being said, I think that one of my students with autism snuck and overfed them everyday...
megangsu05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-30-2010, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Get a small, heavily planted tank with a low-flow filter and a heater. The beta will do great.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sonjateacher

beta
Old 07-30-2010, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Pros:

-the kids love them (I always let the students name the fish)
-they are low maintenance and CHEAP to feed and buy!

Cons:

-taking them home over the break. But just bring a mason jar or something to transport it, and it's not that big of a deal

*Now, for a few years I did "Salmon in the classroom".....THAT was such a big job. I'll never do it again. I had to come in throughout Spring Break to put bottles of ice into the tank. Never allow your class pets to dictate that you can't go away on holidays
sonjateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tigertown

break
Old 07-30-2010, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Betas are very durable and easy to care for. We don't have air problems (too hot or too cold). In fact, I give it a little extra food and leave it over the breaks and it is fine. I do take it home at Christmas but that is all. I just have to give fresh water ever several weeks because it starts looking yucky.
IMO it has to be the easiest class pet and definitely better than an aquarium that requires filters and all that stuff.
tigertown is offline   Reply With Quote