Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tell me about your refrigerator

>

linderdm

Tell me about your refrigerator
Old 06-23-2020, 08:01 AM

Our refrigerator is 10 years old, and the ice maker can't keep up with the family home all of the time. It's a side-by-side, which they still make, but so many people are going with the French doors with the freezer on the bottom.

Those that have a French door refrigerator, do you like it? What brands are best? We are looking at LG; Kenmore was also rated high on Consumer Reports.

TIA

linderdm is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-23-2020, 08:10 AM

I like our Frigidaire Professional with the drawer on the bottom. I looked for rolling storage baskets in the drawer as well as two ice makers. This one has those features. There's an ice maker on the top left door as well as in the drawer below. Our frig is about five years old or so and we haven't had any problems with it.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 06-23-2020, 08:45 AM

Amana. I got it last year. Stainless freezer on the bottom.

I wanted one made in American with pull out freezer drawers. I want a french door but they only come with ice makers and I didn't want one.
sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 06-23-2020, 08:46 AM

I have an LG that you described. It also has an additional drawer under the french doors.

DH upgraded and I do not find the additional drawer a deal breaker. We also have some sort of display that can take pictures and keep a shopping list for you. That is not something I use or want. It does play music from pandora and I like that, but a speaker and a phone would work just as well to keep some background music on.

So, like the set up, but don't need the extras. (DH says I am just cheap and simple)
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

tatapatch

French Doors
Old 06-23-2020, 08:46 AM

We have a Whirlpool French Door Fridge. We also have a water/ice dispenser in the door and it also crushes ice (which is great!). However, the touch buttons didn't work for a while and then magically started working again like a year later and we've never had problems since. Kind of weird.

Anyways, we really like it. The only thing I don't like about it is the freezer part is too small to put a frozen pizza box in. I have to take the pizza out of the box in order to put it in the freezer. Though, it's not a big deal, it is kind of inconvenient since then I have to cut the pizza cooking directions off the box in order to remember how to cook it!

tatapatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

My Refrigerator
Old 06-23-2020, 08:49 AM

Is the French door style with a bottom freezer. It came with my newly remodeled house so I didn't get to pick it, but I really like the big open space behind the two French doors. Unfortunately, my model doesn't have an ice maker on the door so I have to pull open the somewhat heavy freezer bottom, then bend down to get ice. I do this a dozen times a day in the summer.

Mine is a Frigidaire. I have no idea how it's rated in Consumer Reports which is where I normally go for any buying info, as I'm a subscriber. I don't want to know if it's poorly rated, since I'm stuck with it, and I'm mostly satisfied. I just hope it lasts a good while.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Kitchenaid
Old 06-23-2020, 08:55 AM

We went through a few refrigerators before finally finding one we liked. We ended up with a French door Kitchenaid with two extra compartments above the freezer. The ice maker keeps up fairly well, but it has a max ice feature that helps out if it gets behind.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

refrigerator
Old 06-23-2020, 09:07 AM

I so miss my freezer on the bottom. Like it because it puts the produce/crisper drawers up at a useful level. French Door Models would be to big for our space.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

KitchenAid here as well
Old 06-23-2020, 09:16 AM

I have a stainless steel KitchenAid French Door fridge.

It has a deep drawer on the bottom with two shallower drawers within that space. It has a smallish ice maker in the door. While smaller, it keeps up with us just fine. It has water in the door as well.

I love it. It has two "favorites" drawers between the fridge and freezer but it still has drawers in the fridge itself as well. I tend to store the frequently used items in the two outer drawers as it keeps DH from opening the whole fridge every time he needs his snacks.

We bought ours from Best Buy. It was a steal at the time due to a big sale, buying it with a dishwasher at the time and several other deals going-delivery, installations, etc.-at the same time. (By the time it was all done, it was basically like getting the dishwasher for free...)

We have been very pleased.

https://www.kitchenaid.com/major-app...rmf606ess.html
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

linderdm

Great advice
Old 06-23-2020, 09:34 AM

Off to google to look at your suggestions!

linderdm is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

Kitchen Aide French Door Refrigerator
Old 06-23-2020, 10:49 AM

Love it! It has ice maker when needed in the freezer. Water dispenser is inside when needed. Front is smooth. We drink tap water most of the time, so it works well for us.
knit1purl2 is online now   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 06-23-2020, 11:18 AM

We just got a new fridge with the freezer on the bottom and French doors. It's bigger than my old fashioned freezer on top model. When I switched the food over, what looks like more space fits less food. There's no way to "stuff" the freezer because you have to be able to push in the drawers. Everything has to tuck in below drawer level so there's less space than it looks like there is. In my old freezer I could tuck food into every space. I love the look of it and it does the job, but I miss the functionality of the old one.

I was planning on getting rid of my freezer in the garage because my new freezer has more cubic feet than my old one. I won't be doing that now!
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

LG with French Doors
Old 06-23-2020, 12:09 PM

Mine has an ice maker with a huge ice bin inside the freezer. It's too much ice for my husband and I, but would be great for a family home all the time.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I have a Samsung
Old 06-23-2020, 12:28 PM

You donít want one. Enough said.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 06-23-2020, 02:48 PM

You lose a lot of freezer space with the French door. I had one in the place we were renting temporarily and I hated it. There was not enough freezer space. I am so happy to have my side by side back. I bought all new whirlpool appliances and I am happy with it.
cemsnowy4 is online now   Reply With Quote

4leaves

Donít get
Old 06-23-2020, 03:58 PM

a Samsung. Looks good, nice size, but weird leaks and ice sheets in fridge.
4leaves is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 06-23-2020, 06:08 PM

Is there anything else wrong with the refrigerator?

You may want to look into installing a separate ice machine if itís just the ice? You could have one installed in the kitchen or even a garage space.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-23-2020, 10:27 PM

I'm not home so don't remember what brand mine is, but I LOVE my french doors and bottom drawer freezer. And what I really love is that there is a refrigerated drawer in between. I put all refrigerated snacks for my family in that drawer (anything that is not an "ingredient" and I don't mind if they eat). It's terrific! Another thing I thought was unnecessary but I ended up loving is one of the doors has the thing where you can open just the front of the door, not the whole thing, for items that you use frequently. Again, not necessary but a feature that I really ended up liking.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Fridge
Old 06-24-2020, 04:21 PM

I replaced my fridge about 18 months ago. I really wanted one with french doors. But the price difference made me rethink that. I ended up with another side by side model, and saved the extra $1,000.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

carrieann

Old 06-25-2020, 10:37 AM

Mine is a Kenmore with the freezer drawer on the bottom. I like having the drawer on the bottom!
carrieann is offline   Reply With Quote