Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do you self-check COVID-19 symptoms?

>

amiga13

Do you self-check COVID-19 symptoms?
Old 06-30-2020, 03:36 PM

I do, especially since I had to go to 2 different medical centers early last week. I even take my temperature daily. I would hate myself if I infected someone else. Hereís a reminder of symptoms from the CDC:
Quote:
Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:
Fever or chills
Cough
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Fatigue
Muscle or body aches
Headache
New loss of taste or smell
Sore throat
Congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
Diarrhea

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 06-30-2020, 03:41 PM

Yesterday I went to the dentist because I broke a tooth. I took my temperature and double checked all symptoms before I went.
Sam5 is online now   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 06-30-2020, 03:47 PM

I'd know if I were sick. I always know when I have a high temperature--don't need a thermometer.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

MyLifeClass

smell
Old 06-30-2020, 04:05 PM

The people that I know that have had it mainly had a headache, fever, and loss of smell. I am always sniffing to make sure I can smell something
MyLifeClass is online now   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

No self check
Old 06-30-2020, 04:17 PM

I have many of those symptoms regularly on and off, some in a flash, others last for days.

I keep a mask on as long as I can breathe through one.
I stay away from people in the high risk category

knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

No fever checks
Old 06-30-2020, 04:29 PM

I don't physically self-check everyday, but I have a readily available list of the most recent symptoms. I already know my personal pattern of morning sniffles and occasional cough, so I don't feel I need to check my temperature on a daily basis. When my anxiety got the best of me about possibly having the symptoms, I took my temperature and found it was normal.

Some time in January, for the first time in about 6 years, I caught a cold. Right away I could tell it wasn't my typical sniffles. I immediately went out and bought the Kleenex, cold remedies, liquids and foods I'd need. I basically stayed in bed for a few days until I felt more energetic. After about 4 days I felt much better and resumed my regular routines. I'm assuming... hoping, I will be able to tell if my symptoms are a-typical and lead into a cold, flu, or even (but hopefully not) Covid-19. I understand I could possibly be an asymptomatic carrier, but in that case I wouldn't have a fever, either.
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 06-30-2020, 04:34 PM

If I were to consciously check for all those symptoms, I would probably HAVE all those symptoms. I am a good hypochondriac. I still really havenít gone anywhere- so I really can avoid doing symptom checks.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 06-30-2020, 04:51 PM

No, but when I'm sick I know it. I can feel that I have a fever. In fact, my temperature is typically at 96-97 degrees, and when it is 99 I can tell I'm sick. The other symptoms would be noticeable to me. So if I had those symptoms, I'd immediately think Covid, but I don't self-check.

A while ago DH managed to convince himself he was sick and when he took his temperature and saw it was normal he was so relieved.

Last edited by tyrex; 06-30-2020 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Added more
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 06-30-2020, 05:02 PM

I am literally never sick so if I was I would definitely know it. I have my thermometer handy just in case but unless I think I have a fever I donít check.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Symptoms
Old 06-30-2020, 05:05 PM

Medical appointments tomorrow and Thursday. I have gotten the usual e-mail reminder, text message, and now at least 4 phone recorded messages telling me to cancel if I have symptoms or exposure etc.

Wed's office is just opening in person appointments tomorrow. I'm sure they are being hyper-cautious. Most of the patients would fit in the high risk category.

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-30-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I am always sniffing to make sure I can smell something
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this . I have a bottle of apple lotion that I keep on a shelf in my living room. I'm constantly making sure I can still smell it!

It's a little tough for me because I have allergies and get sinus symptoms all year long. Every time I feel a throat tickle or get a headache I worry, but every time I've checked my temperature it's been normal. I feel like the taste/smell one is the only one that would make me very sure I have it right away, because I've never experienced that symptom for anything else. Pretty much anything else can be chalked up to allergies, sinus, or anxiety if I get myself worked up. I was so freaked out a couple of weeks ago because I suddenly had really sore/weak muscles and I hadn't worked out. Then I realized it was because I'd spent several hours cleaning more vigorously than usual and I should probably start working out so that I'm not sore from cleaning .
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 06-30-2020, 07:47 PM

Thank you for posting! We don't really self-check, but every time DH or I get a headache or sore throat or stomach upset we get a little nervous! These are common, everyday things, but in this day and age they could mean so much more!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 07-01-2020, 02:19 AM

I check myself constantly against the symptoms list you posted. My antibody test (from when I donated blood last week) came back negative.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 07-01-2020, 05:22 AM

I dont, but my 5-year-old takes his own temperature a lot.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 07-01-2020, 05:34 AM

Nope - if I was sick, I'd know it. I do have asthma and allergies so I'm always sniffling and sneezing. If I'm sick, I get SUPER tired (like falling asleep at 6pm) so that's my alert. Plus, when I've had a fever, I know it.

No way I'd want to take my temp daily.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Well,
Old 07-01-2020, 07:54 AM

the symptoms are never far from my mind. We also have a temple thermometer out all the time now. But I have to be careful of anxiety too.

I am overweight and have other medical issues so I will occasionally get a symptom or two once in a while. I am super vigilant of myself and my surroundings until I can tell it is part of my existing conditions or other circumstances rather than CV.

The other day I didn't necessarily lose my sense of taste and smell but EVERYTHING tasted "off" to me. The meat tasted metallic, the milk smelled off, etc--I had DH smell everything again... It was fine. I never did figure out why it happened...

Another day I got a little panicked as I was super warm in the house. Before I was too far gone, DH reminded me we had the oven on and it was 92 degrees out that day...

So I try to balance the vigilance about CV and the anxiety caused by overreaction.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

This is me as well.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
So I try to balance the vigilance about CV and the anxiety caused by overreaction.
It's not so easy sometimes though! Every single time I even clear my throat I am wondering if I am ok.

That being said, I think we will be expected to take our daily temperature as part of a return to school. (If I end up returning.)
letsgomets is online now   Reply With Quote