Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Sleep Study

>

FancyFish

Sleep Study
Old 07-01-2020, 08:43 AM

I had a sleep study done last night. Iím sure it was the worst Iíve ever slept. I couldnít get comfortable with all the wires and electrodes. The sleep lab was in a very noisy area and I was woken by traffic noises several times. I came home and promptly went back to sleep n my own bed. Any experiences with sleep studies?

FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-01-2020, 08:46 AM

I had the exact same experience. I do not think it was an accurate reflection of how I actually sleep.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Oreopete

At Home
Old 07-01-2020, 09:07 AM

You should do one at home. It is so much more relaxing and you do it for 3 nights. It was a good experience...
Oreopete is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

No rest!
Old 07-01-2020, 04:08 PM

I had a sleep study done 4 years ago and it was the worst night sleep of my life. Crappy mattress, heavy comforter, lumpy pillow, sticky wires on your body, bright light coming under the door, noise in the hall, people talking & walking around all night, creepy location, ughhhh!!

My son is having an at home sleep study done this month and it should be accurate because the sleeping conditions are consistent!
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-01-2020, 04:27 PM

I have never done one but I've always wondered how on earth people sleep in those settings. A friend did one and she had to stay up for 24 hours beforehand; I'm guessing to increase chances of actually sleeping there. But that also doesn't seem realistic either. Even if you do sleep, it's not "typical" because obviously you're not usually up for 24 hours first.

And an interesting note: my previous teammate had some fancy schmancy undergrad degree (I can't remember exactly what it was in now, bio nuero something or other) and her first job was working in a sleep study clinic. She made $76K her first year out of college and this was 20+ years ago. I never understood why on earth she ended up teaching...she used to say it was an accident .

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

NewIdentity

Old 07-01-2020, 04:28 PM

That's too bad that you weren't able to sleep to get accurate results. Did you have the option to do it at home?
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

I slept
Old 07-01-2020, 04:31 PM

I could sleep anywhere though. i can sleep with the light on and in a noisy environment. I also did it on a Friday after a busy week of school. I had no issues.
I did the at home sleep test as a follow up, but for only one night (due to insurance) and it was horrible. I ended up having a reaction to the adhesive. Good luck.
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Sleep study
Old 07-01-2020, 06:45 PM

I had a sleep study and felt I didnít sleep a wink, but rested as usual for me. The tech said I slept. I didnít believe him. Just because Iím not moving doesnít mean Iím sleeping. But I guess the techs know more than I do.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-01-2020, 06:48 PM

I did a couple of in hospital sleep studies with no problem except waking up and going to the bathroom. That was a pain because they have to come in and "undo" you. I haven't had an at home study done, but my doctor thinks I might need a study done sometime in the near future because of medicare. Like someone else said, I can sleep anywhere.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote