4abue

Sewing Machine for Beginners
Old 06-17-2020, 03:48 PM

Any recommendations? Iím a total beginner.TIA

4abue is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Sewing machine
Old 06-17-2020, 04:55 PM

I would look for a used one. Singer is a name brand. Domestic and White are brands from my high school days but donít know if theyíre still around.

You want something simple: backwards, forwards, zipper and buttonhole attachments are super handy. If itís used and a name brand, you can get the manual on line most of the time.

If you want a brand new one, I recommend going to Joannís or a sewing machine/vacuum cleaner store. Weirdly, they tend to be together. Keep firm in what you want and donít let them up sell.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 06-17-2020, 05:49 PM

I would go with an entry level Juki. I just bought a super deluxe one, but I sew a lot. I love the Juki brand. An entry level Brother would be good, too. I have not read good things about the newer Singers, but I don't have personal experience. I have a Brother cs6000i that I am upgrading to the Juki from. It's been a good machine. I just want some different features now. So a Brother is good, but I think the Juki brand is exceptional. I have a Juki serger which I absolutely love! I don't really know what their lower priced machines go for, but I think you need to spend at least $200 to get anything decent. Have fun!
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-17-2020, 06:10 PM

Iím on my second basic Singer. Iím a moderate seamstress. I think Iíd buy another brand next time. My momís 1960ís Singer is still going strong, and so is my Singer treadle machine. Newer ones have lots of plastic parts that break easily. Thatís true with plastic in general, though.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

Brother machine from Costco
Old 06-17-2020, 06:56 PM

I bought one just a couple of years ago. I found a new machine at Costco that has an easy to follow guide and videos to watch online too. It does basic stitches and came with a bunch of feet. It even helps thread the needle! It was less than $200, portable so I can store it away when Iím not using it. It is easy to order extra needles and bobbins online. Check out you tube on how to use the machine you are interested in.
Good luck on your decision. There is a lot to choose from.

knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 06-17-2020, 06:59 PM

Following! My kids are using a borrowed Brother right now. It seems to work well. I have no idea how to use it, haha. If they'll use it enough, I plan to buy one for them
so hopefully I'll get some good ideas from this.

Brother and Singer are the only two brands I have heard of. I will look into Juki.
love_to_learn is online now   Reply With Quote

bookbadger

Brother
Old 06-17-2020, 07:17 PM

I have neevr heard of Juki but the Brother brand was recommended to me by our local quilt group.
bookbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-17-2020, 08:13 PM

All my machines are Husqvarna and I really like this brand. They have some really nice entry level machines that allow you to do quite a few techniques.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 06-17-2020, 08:27 PM

Do you have a quilt shop near you?
They often sell sewing machines and do service and repair.
They might have good used entry level machines that people have traded in when up-grading machines.

I have a 35 yr old Janome that is great. I also have a newer, lighter weight (approx 15 lbs) Janome that I take to classes and my quilting group.
I bought it from The Shopping Channel. It was a great deal and does everything I need it to do. Watch your shopping channel for the Janome presentations --- you might get a great deal on a machine.

Bernina and Husqvarna are also reliable products.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

!
Old 06-18-2020, 04:54 AM

I agree with going to a shop; even if you don't purchase a machine, you will get so much information that will help you decide what type of machine you want and what features are make or break for you. However, the shops are great places to look for machines because, as previously stated, people trade in to buy up to more advanced machines and the shops have these entry level machines which they have serviced and prepared for sale. Also, you have the shop personnel available for support and oftentimes for service on your machine as well. That's a big deal when you don't know much about sewing or machines and something isn't working correctly!

md2dkh3 is online now   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 06-18-2020, 05:59 AM

I have a Janome machine. Buying it from a shop where they do repairs is a must for me. I could have purchased a machine from Wayfair or Overstock but chose not to because of repairs.

I'd look at several stores first & see a demonstration before I'd buy. The first shop I went to was happy when I said that I wanted to look at a couple of different shops. I did go back to the original shop and made my purchase there. I bought a machine in the middle price range. That way I can have room to expand my skills.

Also, see if they have lessons.

Another thought is to look for school auctions. Sometimes they will sell machines & then buy all new for their classes.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I have an old Kenmore
Old 06-18-2020, 08:09 AM

from a Thrift store- I think I paid $15 for it.

My favorite part about it is that the directions for threading the machine-AND the bobbin--are printed/embossed right on the machine itself. I just follow the arrows for perfect threading each time.

I am not new to sewing but I sew pretty infrequently. Knowing how to thread it properly, including the bobbin, has made it so much easier to maintain the machine. I've had it for several years now and it has not needed maintenance or repair.

Even if it goes wrong now, I know I got my money's worth from it.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Lottalove
Old 06-18-2020, 08:10 AM
This message has been deleted by Lottalove. Reason: double post-oops

KeyKid

Sewing machine
Old 06-18-2020, 10:14 AM

I don't really know what's out there as basic/beginning sewing machines. Mine is not in that category and I've had it 28 years.

A feature that my machine has (that maybe newer, more basic machines have) is that when it stops, it automatically stops with the needle up and take-up lever all the way up. There is a button to press so that when you stop, the needle is down (through the fabric) for making turns or holding your work steady. That feature is one that I am thankful for every time I sew.

Last edited by KeyKid; 06-18-2020 at 11:08 AM..
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote