Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

what to grab at sewing/craft store?

>

tia

what to grab at sewing/craft store?
Old 07-06-2020, 10:14 AM

my mom and i are doing a run to Joann's tomorrow--going first thing, hope to avoid crowds!

i'm making a list so i know exactly what to grab and i'm not wandering around...

scissors (i have 2 good pair but i've used them for all sorts of things--need to get a pair exclusively for fabric)
fabric; interfacing ; bias tape; elastic (for masks)
pipe cleaners (to go around hangers so tops don't slip off)
basic elasticized waist skirt pattern (found some gorgeous fabric in my mom's stash that i stole--have never made clothing on my own--only altered so it needs to be BASIC)
rock tumbler (going to make sea glass and sea pottery!)
snaps (because i have a wraparound dress that doesn't "around" and stay--and a couple blouses that need a decency adjustment!
buttons (making some twisty towel turbans for gifts)
black thread since i'm almost out

i am NOT buying anything for school! who knows if we are even going back....so hoping to save my money in this regard!

What would you be picking up at the sewing/craft store if you were going? Maybe there's something I'm missing...

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-06-2020, 10:20 AM

Extra needles for sewing machine? I don't really sew, but on the rare occasion that I do, I tend to break mine.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

What is sea pottery?
Old 07-06-2020, 10:24 AM

I love craft store trips. I have not been since February and would love to go if I felt safe.

I would get a small bird house and straight sides glass vase to mosaic. I have plenty of tiles to work with.

I would stock up on powder grout mix again.

I would get more water color paper.

I would like a new craft to try. Not sure what.

Silk flowers for the new mosaic vase perhaps.

Maybe a new ink stamp for my journals.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 07-06-2020, 10:27 AM

I would get some pony beads. I love my masks with the Tshirt ties and pony beads.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-06-2020, 10:35 AM

scissors. Mine are horrible!
quilting tools
quilting fabric
oh, just whatever catches my eye!

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

What to grab for sewing/crafts
Old 07-06-2020, 10:49 AM

First, make sure you have the Joann's app for coupons. If you don't have the app you can print them here.

Gosh, I don't need more fabric and I do have a couple of projects I need to work on. I could be tempted to get some more alcohol inks for my rock painting project.
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 07-06-2020, 11:15 AM

Oh, please let me know if they have fabric!!! I have been to our Joann's a couple of times and they are wiped out! Also, no elastic. They probably have the kind you are looking for, but 1/4", 1/8", etc is nonexistent in almost every place due to mask production.

I would be looking for some organizational stuff because I am trying to get things in my house situated a little differently now that I'm retired and hope to someday soon have my DGSs over here a lot!

Also, I received a cricut machine for Christmas and would like to have more tshirts for the boys and more supplies for that.

I'm always looking for quilting stuff. Do any of your projects require interfacing, zippers, buttons, etc.??

It doesn't matter what you buy, it will be fun to hear about it. I so miss the days of going in there just because I wanted to look around and everything I could possibly want was there for the looking.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 07-06-2020, 11:34 AM

Since I’m a weaver/crocheter I would look at yarn but I already have enough for years so ....

Fun fleece or flannel to make blankets or throws for gifts. A few baby prints included.

A new rotary cutting mat that is a lot larger than the one I am currently using.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 07-06-2020, 11:46 AM

Sounds like you have a good list.

Don't forget to take a small sample of the fabric you are using to make the skirt, so you can get matching thread. If you decide to get matching thread, don't forget to check if you have an empty bobbin to use. If you don't, you might want to pick some up.

I'm curious - you mention interfacing. Is that for the masks? Seems like that would be harder to breath through.

Also, if you are trying to make this a "quick" trip, you might want to look at patterns online tonight, so you can easily pick it up, without having to spend time browsing the pattern books. I just checked and Simplicity has their patterns online to look at.
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

Fabric
Old 07-06-2020, 12:25 PM

I was at a local Joann’s this morning looking for knit fabric. Their cotton/quilting shelves were almost bare.

liberty teach is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 07-06-2020, 12:28 PM

I want one of those gizmos for making your own bias tape.

I'd also like some white linen fabric with a black thread pattern every 2 or 3 inches or anything black and white that would pull together my new kitchen color scheme.

The last time I was at JoAnn's I found 5 yards of black and white buffalo check and that was it. There wasn't a scrap of gingham in sight.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

giver1940

Did you see Song of Joy's
Old 07-06-2020, 01:09 PM

post about the loom stuff to use for masks? It's posted a little above yours on this board.
giver1940 is online now   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

My Joann’s has elastic hidden
Old 07-06-2020, 02:05 PM

Ask for it at the cutting table. I didn’t know, but was taking about making masks and they asked me if I wanted some.
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 07-06-2020, 02:14 PM

Thank you for all the great suggestions!

Gromit--newish sewing machine--i still have 2 needles, plus the one on it--but i did break one within the first month of using it! i'm kind of a demanding seamstress!

1956--i saw a video on beach pottery when i was looking up how to make beach glass: https://www.facebook.com/93408923331...5285290197660/

i thought it pretty clever and fortuitous. (i pick up glass when i'm running/walking and am planning on making a frame for my friend.) someone broke a pretty patterned china plate in one spot where i run, and i've admired the flower detail for some time...but it's not glass so i didn't pick it up. then i saw the video and thought---oh! i'll try that. and then grabbed some pieces the next time i went that way and wore pockets. i'm not sure it will come out as nice as hers--since her plate looked old and Greek and had earth colors....we'll see!

luvmycat--maybe i'll get jersey material and pony beads to try that out....i have not done a good job with the measurement of ear loops so far! (my go-to pattern uses bias tape to hem the sides of mask and create ties. my first 2 that i made ear loops with i made with bias tape and they were too short. the next one i made (because i did NOT want to do another load of masks--sigh....before i went to the store) and used invisible stretchy rubber (see post about elastic in thread above) and those were too long.

KeyKid--i do have the app! coupons haven't looked very appealing the last few times i looked---and dummy me threw out the paper coupon flier a while ago....i will also load up Michael's and Hobby Lobby coupons (if available) since they'll take those! i like to have a coupon for every single thing i purchase when i go in...but this is a big trip and i'll just have to suck it up and spend more than usual.

md2dkh3-- i didn't even think that they might not have fabric!!! about 2 months ago i ordered some online--2 different patterns--really pretty! but i DID NOT like that i had to order so many yards. i do have some elastic i've been cutting off packages, and i found some (little bigger than i'd like) at WalMart--so i'm not really in need of it...just thought i'd check.

elspeech--good call on the skirt thread! i think i'll use white, so i'm set.
yes, the interfacing works as a filter. back in March i ordered some--and it took over a month to get here. and it was SUPER-thick--like i could stand it up on its side before i washed it! i cut it up and used it as inserts. it's totally breathable but pretty hot! the longest i've had to wear a mask is 2 hours on a walk in 80 degrees near swampland. not pleasant. (i've seen a few tutorials that mention using interfacing with masks--but i doubt it was supposed to be so thick--i just ordered the only thing i could get my hands on!) also, excellent call on the pattern--i'll look at them tonight and pick a couple in case my first choice isn't there.

SongofJoy--the first mask i made for DH (works at grocery store) i had to make before my shipment of bias tape came in. i just took a long strip of fabric (had a ton of the same fabric for his mask--i always have woven cotton on hand to make napkins, thankfully) and i folded both sides in and sewed--made my own bias tape! and used that for the straps.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Tia
Old 07-06-2020, 03:15 PM

Thank you!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Machine needles
Old 07-06-2020, 03:52 PM

Definitely pick up more of those! One thing to change if your machine isn’t sewing its best is the needle. They really need to be replaced more often than you think!. Plus, I know I sometimes run a streak of breaking a few right in succession
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Tia
Old 07-06-2020, 05:47 PM

Another thing you can use as a filter are the blue shop towels like you would buy at Lowes or Home Depot. If your masks have pockets you can then easily replace them. The would less heavy, and probably cheaper, than interface.
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote