Help

The VENT

Overwhelmed with online training.

>

SpecialEdly

Overwhelmed with online training.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Oh boy! I'm starting in a new district and I already have 10 plus hours worth of online trainings to do. (including the usual start of the year ones, Sexual Harassments, CPS, Blood Born Pathogens, etc.)

SpecialEdly is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-15-2020, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your avatar seems perfect for this post Maybe add some wine or whatever your drink of choice is I hope it goes quickly! I've been in so many online trainings/webinars over the past few months, but they've all been pretty interesting. I find the ones you are describing as much less so
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

middlestsis

Make it a little faster
Old 07-15-2020, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you hit the settings gear, click "playback speed", and set it to 1.25, it will make it faster but still intelligible!
middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Tests at the end...
Old 07-15-2020, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would take the tests at the end and pass them, and then speed through the content. You couldn’t totally fast forward to the end, but you could go through more quickly. I had my I-pad and laptop open in case I had to look up an answer. The dyslexia one we had was particularly long and deadly.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

Puzzle and/or coloring books
Old 07-16-2020, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I completed word searches and colored many pages or random stuff. Knitting works well too.

Think of your future students and how distance learning works for you. D

knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Feel for you
Old 07-16-2020, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I feel for you and am sending virtual hugs your way. I feel the same way and I'm not new. All of the e-mails of training, information, etc. driving me nuts. It's summer for jeepers sake!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

I hear you.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If I actually have to do everything that's showing up as "assigned" in SimpleK12, it's about 20 hours of webinars. And the kicker is that there are other webinars that would be of more benefit to me.

Right now I'm doing the ones that I know I'll have to complete (Blood Borne Pathogens for the bazillionth time) and the ones that will be useful for me. But then I'm going to contact my principal and confirm whether we have to everything assigned and whether I might have some "wiggle room" to do things that would help me more.

Also (and this has annoyed me every year I've been at this school) if I'm a 40% employee how is it that I have to do 100% of pre-service training?
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Background noise
Old 07-17-2020, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Depending on what platform they're using, you might not be able to speed it up or skip sections, but you CAN let it play on mute while you watch TV, clean your kitchen, play Candy Crush, read a book, whatever. I sit with my laptop on my lap and my phone in my hand, so I can click through the training when prompted and I know when it's time to take the quiz. The quizzes at the end are usually stupid easy, like, "Should you give students drugs?" or "Should you steal money from the office manager's desk?" Anyone with half a brain can pass those quizzes on the first (MAYBE second) attempt.
sdfrgsertgse

sdfrgsertgse

drfger
Old 07-18-2020, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Protip: they can see if you've muted it, or skipped sections, or minimized it. I had an AP mention that to us. the best way is to keep it on a low volume, and just let it play while you do something else. if you have dual monitors at home, do something on the other monitor