The VENT

What are your concerns?

>

scprek

What are your concerns?
Old 06-23-2020, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I saw this on Facebook:

Iím a Teacher and here are My concerns about opening schools.....

Here are mine:
1. My school does not have a nurse.
2. How can I social distance 22 (# of students this year) kindergarten students?
3. What will happen if someone test positive for Covid?

What are your concerns?

scprek is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 06-23-2020, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am concerned about wearing a mask all day. I can't stand it to go grocery shopping for an hour let alone a full day.

What about the lunch room? There are 350 kids in there at a time. Are they going to have students eat in the rooms? When will I get my duty free lunch? I don't want to eat with kids and I don't want that mess in my room.

What about gym class? Again there are 3 teachers with 90 kids in one big gym. How will that work?
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-23-2020, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The above are good so far. There are TONS of concerns...way too many to list, from before the day starts to the end of the day. Starting with... when kids get on the school bus, you can't do 6 ft social distancing on there unless there are just a few kids on each bus.

I read about the staggering of lunches/recesses, but whatever solutions there are will make for a much harder, grueling day than ever before.

I really don't know how regular at-school days (as opposed to remote) are going to go all while still keeping everyone safe.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-23-2020, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We just heard from the state today and they are saying we will go back at 50% capacity. How does that look? Same teacher doing twice as much work? Or half the work by students? They also said it could change as conditions change. More cases? May go SIP. Less cases, more increase capacity? I would rather just go with one method and stay that way for the year.

Recess? Kids still need it, and PE.

How many students won't come back?
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-23-2020, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Will we be asked to teach in person AND virtually at the same time?
Will students be in my room ALL day (lunch, specials)? If so, how do I get that much needed "quiet time" to decompress and be my best for the afternoon lessons?
What is the sub situation going to be like? What happens if there's no sub for the day? Usually, that means each class takes on 6+ additional students.

What if I (or anyone) has a cold/cough? Do we have to take 2 weeks off just in case?

TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Chimneygrl

Old 06-23-2020, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I only have one and that is if we only have half our students each day, then what will I do with my own 2nd grade child? It will be an AB schedule.
Chimneygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-23-2020, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Students are going to need a lot of social/emotional support, and my school doesn't have a counselor.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-23-2020, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can't tell you the number of parents who are saying that their kids can't be forced to wear a mask/won't wear a mask all day. Is the district going to enforce this?

I absolutely abhor the thought of wearing a mask all day.

I teach Sped, small groups, how is that even going to be feasible?

Did I mention parents fighting the mask rule?

Kids don't socially distance. They just don't. It's not natural.

Managing lunches and recess is going to be a nightmare.

Managing supplies is going to be a nightmare.

The uncertainty about how long this mask/COVID thing is going to go on for.

How are other countries managing this.

The money/defecit situation.

I could go on...
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

Iím concerned about
Old 06-23-2020, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Older staff members and kids with grandparents as primary guardians. I’m not too worried about complications if I get it because I’m not in a high-risk group.

Looking at the guidelines for my state, a lot of schools are probably going to try to start the year like normal. The problem is, like somebody else said, kids aren’t going to social distance, and the virus is going to spread like wildfire. Most schools in my state will be back to remote learning by late-September at the latest. I’m basing this on the outbreaks in states that have reopened bars and other venues in which people have close contact.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I am concerned too about the
Old 06-23-2020, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

unintended consequences for some of the students in another way that I've never seen mentioned so far... Medication abuse and overuse, possibly overdoses, etc.

We all have "those" parents--the ones who medicate the sick kid in the mornings hoping the meds will hold off any obvious symptoms of potential illness until at least lunch so the parent can work, run errands, sleep in, blah blah blah...whatever...

It is already an issue far too often in schools everywhere. Parents need to go to work--I get it. Parents fear their students have missed too much already. Parent doesn't want to be hassled about attendance.

How many kids will get dosed up, whether sick or the parent just fears they are sick, so the student can pass the fever check at the front door...???

How many overmedicated kids and their poor livers and kidneys and tummies and brains will fall victim to this???

I KNOW it will happen--maybe not widespread but... even if it is just one kid per grade level or one in a building or whatever...that is a lot of kids.

We know that there are kids who are symptomatic at home, who will be treated for those symptoms at home in the morning, and will come to school to infect many others before the teachers or nurse figure out that student is ill.

And for those who are not detected-how many medications will be administered inappropriately just so they can get them out of the house for the day? I just hate to think about it.

whatever is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-23-2020, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

These are things Iíve thought of so far . . .
  • Hearing kids when they wear a mask. I have a hearing issue and watch mouths.
  • Keeping kids away from one another.
  • Kids eat in classroom. Where is my duty-free lunch?
  • How do we handle materials?
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-23-2020, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My concerns seem to change by the day. The big ones for me are the thought of wearing a mask all day, and how in the world to teach kindergarten while trying to distance them and not letting them share manipulatives and toys. Basically changing my entire day and rewriting all of my curriculum.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Liability
Old 06-23-2020, 10:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My concerns are solely liability, but thatís mostly because Iím at a private school. I will do my level best to ensure that weíre all following the rules, but a magical unicorn I am not. What happens if someone catches it? Is my school liable? Am I?
Englishish is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Ugh
Old 06-24-2020, 02:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

If I was still teaching my biggest concern would be high maintenance, anxious parents.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 06-24-2020, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My concerns:
-liability, as another poster said. If one of my students gets COVID, will I be held responsible?
-how can I ensure that my students are interacting appropriately with each other without nagging or frightening them into thinking they can't be around others?
-wearing a mask all day
2teach2 is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 06-24-2020, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Wondering if as an assistant, my job will turn into that of a security guard making sure students stay apart and donít fiddle with their masks. I work one on one with specific students. How will I be able to do that from 6 feet away.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-24-2020, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

How about how will I know who is talking if I canít see their lips move?

BettyAnna

Old 06-24-2020, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I worry about the parents who dose their kids with tylenol and send them to school sick telling them to to go to the nurse if they don't feel well. Our nurse is constantly making calls saying you can 't come back to school unless you have been fever free for 24 hours.

I worry that there will be no more group work in education. The social aspect of school is at risk.

There have been discussions of an a group and a b group and cameras in the classroom recording/broadcasting the lesson for the students who are not in school on those days.

We were told that kids would hardly ever leave the room. They will eat in their room. Special teachers will come to them and walk them to the special room once they have disinfected all the tables and chairs from the previous class. Every time someone uses the bathroom, the toilet and the sink they use has to be disinfected.

I worry about where the disinfecting materials are going to come from. Where are we going to get all the wipes and disinfectant and who will pay for it.

I worry about the little ones who won't keep their masks on all day.

I worry about keeping a mask on all day in a school without air conditioning.

I worry about my underlying health condition in the petri dish that is an elementary school.

I wonder about changing careers.
BettyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet123

Everything
Old 06-24-2020, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Iím concerned about everything. But if I had to list my top three..

1. Contracting Covid...of course.

2. Liability. If someone in my ďcohortĒ gets it.. am I liable?

3. Being held accountable to meet very high and rigorous expectations to ďcatchĒ students up and teach current grade level concepts simultaneously. Ugh

Violet123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Concerns and More Concerns
Old 06-24-2020, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I've basically been a shut-in since this began. The weird thing is that I am eager to go back because I found the online teacher just not engaging and stressful. However, at the same time, I'm terrified of getting sick and getting relatives sick.

So, here's my list of concerns:
1. Going back and getting sick
2. Not going back and being a shut-in
3. Bizarre, unorganized hybrid teaching with little to no working tech for students.

Yeah, I'm just trying to not think of it because there really doesn't seem to be a great solution. Also, I basically go out in a pandemic suit. However, I feel like I can't breathe in the masks. Yet I will pass out before I take the thing off in public... Our school has zero outdoor space, no AC, and is small. I can't see our school being serious about the health. I feel like admin. has already shown a disregard for our health and safety.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-24-2020, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

We got notice we are going back on a hybrid model where 50% of students will come on M and T. Wed will be a cleaning day, and the other group comes on Th and F. My question is who cleans after that group? The evening custodian is not going to have time to clean every room and sanitize on Friday night.

Persephone

Old 06-24-2020, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I am concerned because I am a Special Area Teacher.
Concerned that the powers that be view me as just a prep period and not a course.
If we do distance learning, concerned that they do not need me and will cut my position.
Sorry!
I'm the breadwinner in our family and the one who has the health insurance.
Concerned about keeping a job that I've invested so much time and energy into for so many years.
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 06-24-2020, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

These are mine:

1. Wearing a mask all day.

2. Kids coming in the classroom right when they come to school (no AM recess) and eating in the classroom.

3. Specials? I can't see how that will work. How will the rooms be cleaned after each class? Who will clean it? Just a Lysol spray and wipes???? You could do PE outside but it's too hot in AZ.

4. One more....We're supposed to start in August. I'm worried they will push it back till September which means I won't get paid till then.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-24-2020, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

-Wearing a mask all day/trying to teach in a mask
- Either having to police students wearing masks all day OR having to wear my mask while they're all unmasked/not protecting me. I realize those are conflicting ideas, but that's where I'm at right now. Both scenarios bother me.
-Having to enforce impossible social distancing rules
-Lots of teachers out every day (because we will be required to stay home for every sniffle) and no subs
- No protected lunch/planning time in many of the schedules being floated around
- Running pull out groups/doing my sped services when almost every "plan" out there says that students have to stay with their same cohort all day
- Dealing with the severe behaviors that are going to stem from trying to enforce crazy new rules all day/students sitting at their desks all day
- Doing all of the above and having the same academic/growth expectations as if things were "normal"
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 06-24-2020, 10:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I do not have a regular class. I help run our library and teach k-5 reading intervention. My concerns include (but definitely aren't limited to):

-Keeping my job! I love what I do and don't want to suddenly get moved into a classroom setting in August.

-If we follow CDC guidelines with students staying in the same room all day, how will I meet with my intervention students.

-How do I keep all my supplies clean/have supplies for each individual student when I'll likely have 60+ students a day?

-How do we safely run the library? Keeping ourselves and students safe.

-Will I be the resident sub? If we have teachers calling in last minute/going home. I'm already called in when we don't have enough subs. I'm sorry but I really hate subbing when I have a job to do.

-Teaching with a mask on all day.

-Being exposed to/getting sick with COVID.
MissTrace is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

My Concerns
Old 06-25-2020, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Here are my concerns. They are in no particular order and I didn't read what others wrote, so they might be repeated. The concerns deal with a variety of different scenarios, but aren't grouped that way.

1. How to adjust my teaching style and the activities I like to do to keep social distancing.

2. How to do online and live/in person instruction simultaneously...and not how as in how you do it, but how to not feel overwhelmed by it more than anything!

3. As much as I would prefer in person teaching to virtual teaching, I just think it's too soon. Cases are rising right now in our area...higher than they have ever been, both cases per day, percent of positive tests, etc.

4. Wearing a mask all day will stink

5. No lunch in our teachers lounge with adults

6. Having students eat lunch in our rooms and not getting a break from them

7. Kids coming in behind academically from all this time off

8. More behavior issues since students had basically 6 months at home

9. Kids not liking school because they would rather be at home (who wouldn't?)and parents complaining, blaming the teacher.

10. Kids/parents thinking there is too much homework since they went for 3 months without "homework" and parents complaining, blaming the teacher

11. What happens to instruction/school if I get Covid?

12. Many of our staff is over 60 and/or married to people over 60.

13. Kids waking up with a fever/symptoms and parents giving them Tylenol and sending them to school.

14. Being afraid to cough for fear that people think I automatically have Covid

15. The scores/future of our students, work force, educational system, etc. as this generation experiences more e-learning, school shut downs, etc. How will we keep up? What effect does this have on K-12 students future academic experiences, knowledge, abilities, etc.? For people in career training programs, what effect does E-learning have on their training? Is it as good? Not as good? Better? if not not as good, how will we handle it when we depend on those certain careers?

16. Along with 15, we need to find a way to keep rigor and high expectations alive during school closures and shut downs.

17. How to handle birthday treats or class rewards that are food related.

18. How a whole class reward system would work with 2 cohorts
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 06-28-2020, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

1. Pretty much everything you all have listed above,
2. The expectation that teachers will work miracles to ensure safety, engage students, and continue to increase academic achievement.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 07-01-2020, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I am concerned about mental health. As a teacher, this whole virus has caused extreme anxiety for me. I can't imagine what it is doing for our students and their families. Right now, I just can't picture our schools being a safe place. I'm also worried about how I am going to keep all my little ones socially distanced with masks on. If a COVID case occurs in my classroom, will I be aware and act quickly enough to keep it from spreading among my student's and going home to families? I think I am in decent health, but am I really? This virus seems to target random victims and strike hard. Honestly, I would love to go back to school and do what I love to do which is be surrounded by my students and to teach! Realistically, there are too many unknowns still and we don't know the longterm effects of this disease. We "think" it doesn't affect young people as much but in all honestly, no one can say that for sure.
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Into the Unknown
Old 07-01-2020, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

My district is starting late (Aug 29) and giving parents the choice of in-person school or all virtual school for the 1st semester. All teachers will be teaching from a virtual school curriculum to maintain equity. We have no other details or answers yet. My concerns are:

1. Will teachers get a say in whether we teach virtually or in-person (I have regular contact with my high-risk parents due to childcare)?

2. I teach Middle and I'm a clean freak on a good day - the thought of them eating lunch in my room makes me cringe.

3. Will teachers find out more details in enough time to successfully prepare and plan? Anxiety is high enough without being thrown for a loop at the last minute.

4. Our last pay period for this past year is July 24. School was supposed to start August 3, which would mean a check August 7. Now we won't start until the last day of August. We've not heard anything about pay so I'm stressing.

Last edited by SoDone; 07-01-2020 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Spell check hates me
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote