Help

The VENT

Virtual Dissapointment

>

SoDone

Virtual Dissapointment
Old 07-06-2020, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

District sent the long awaited "full plan" for fall out this morning. There are semi-answers to some questions but I still have no idea what I am supposed to be doing. I'm mainly disappointed to read that school leaders should work with teachers to decide who will be on the virtual teaching teams (so no real answer on teacher options) and that virtual teachers will be reporting to the school buildings each day. Am I off my rocker to think that doing that totally misses the point of teaching virtually if you are in a group that doesn't need to be around anyone? It's not as bad as being in the classroom with kids but you'll still come into contact with others and be sharing facilities/supplies. I really hope they rethink this.

SoDone is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 07-06-2020, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm now retired, but my sister-in-law is still teaching. We both have health risks. She has been going back and forth on whether to retire right now, even though she needs 2 more years for full benefits.

I just called her to talk about your post. We both agreed that it would be ideal if she could do virtual teaching as you describe. She would want to teach online from her classroom and not allow anyone else in the room. They really wouldn't even have to clean it much. She could communicate with other online teachers/the office by phone/text as needed. The only time she would leave the room would be arriving/leaving the building and using the restroom. She would double mask and wear gloves at those times. It would only work if they didn't need to use her room to spread kids out. About half the parents have indicated they will continue with virtual learning in the fall, so that may be possible. She's hoping they offer her something like this.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Old 07-06-2020, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hope they offer her something like that as well! It would work if, as you said, the teacher is left alone in her room. I suspect that many schools will be hard pressed to distance kids and will be using every available space.
SoDone is online now   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 07-06-2020, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If Iím understanding the roll out plan correctly, are some teachers teaching virtually and others in the classroom with students?

If thatís the case, unless the teachers who are teaching virtually are all high risk, then why shouldnít all teachers have to report to school.
noonespecial is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-06-2020, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
If thatís the case, unless the teachers who are teaching virtually are all high risk, then why shouldnít all teachers have to report to school.
It would reduce the number of people coming and going. Lessen the risk all around for everyone.

TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 07-07-2020, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The proposal in my district is that PK-8 do blended and 9-12 are 100% virtual.

Many pK-8 teachers are really upset that not all teachers have the same level of risk.

If I was virtual I'd prefer to teach from my classroom where all of my supplies are. I don't like recording videos in my home for privacy reasons and also because it's difficult to do with my family around.
sevenplus is online now   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 07-07-2020, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

So, IMO, if a teacher is high risk and wants to teach virtually then it should happen at home only. You can't come to school and teach virtually and expect to never come in contact with anyone. That seems ideal but impossible. If youre high risk, then apply to do remote teaching from home.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Safer at Home
Old 07-12-2020, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The few days I went back to school since March were terrifying. Our school is not set up at all for distancing. Our office is cramped and secretaries were not wearing masks. Our principal did not wear a mask. The janitors did have to wear masks, but removed them when talking. (I wish I were kidding.)

I had two other teachers come in my room without masks and tell them that I didn't need to worry so much. Um, thanks, I'll keep my mask on. So in the three days I was in the physical building, I got exposed multiple times due to people not following the rules, even the administrators. Some of these people are young and healthy, but there were also a few who were not. I thought to myself that it wouldn't be safe until there was a vaccine. I actually was shocked at how some people acted like everything was fine.

Just like everyone else, I would love to go back and have things be "normal." However, since our area is rising in numbers (doubling/tripling), I think I'd just rather teach 100% from home. I do feel for those with kids and families who cannot really work well from home. Yet I would think that it's safer for the family to be at home, maybe not saner though...
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote