Help

The VENT

Anyone started planning yet?

>

Violet123

Anyone started planning yet?
Old 06-26-2020, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So.. I recently wrote in a post that Iím going to try not to focus so much of my energy on what might happen next fall since itís still 2 months away and anything can happen.

I want to enjoy my summer..what it may be..but I feel guilty that I havenít started any planning yet.

So Iím just wondering if anyone has started their ďplanningĒ since weíre expected to be ready for all possible scenarios.

Just curious...

Violet123 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-26-2020, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I refuse to plan when I have no idea what I am planning for. The school will get my time when we go back. I canít even mull over things in my head with all the different directions up in the air.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

ESDTeacher98

Planning
Old 06-26-2020, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A few teachers have been paid to plan for a month for the next grade level up. Essentially giving the next teachers the stuff the kids missed in April and May. So everyone will come back to having that done for them in grades 1-6.
I have been learning as much as I can about online tools like zoom and Google classroom just in case. I figure Google classroom will be useful no matter which way we go.
I updated my classroom website and made a welcome back PowerPoint.
We had a new science series last year and I wasn't super great at it so I'm working on getting comfortable with that.
I am thinking about a new theme for my classroom that works with our character Ed curriculum.
I just can't seem to turn my mind off of school.
ESDTeacher98 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

NJ Guidelines Come Out Today...
Old 06-26-2020, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our schools just got out this week. Our governor and the state education commissioner are issuing the guidelines today. I am retired, but teachers here can't begin to think of planning till they know what they might be planning for.

I would not feel guilty in not starting right away. You deserve and need a break, especially after this year. I think things will change over and over before school starts, anyway.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Also hard to turn brain off-
Old 06-26-2020, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with ESDTeacher98. I'm having a hard time not doing stuff for school. I also feel scattered when I think about it. We are painting all the cabinets in our loft, so that's helping keep my mind off of it a little.

I also agree with kahluablast. How can I plan without knowing what I'm planning for? Not only do we not know the situation, we didn't deal with class lists. There was also not a definitive on grade level assignments. We are a very small school that always has shifting combos. If parents decide they want a homeschool option (and that was a huge increase on our parent survey), who knows how many kids or what grade level configurations?

We are lucky that our union leaders are thinking about the extra load on combo teachers if there is some sort of Online component. I had a 5/6 combo and spent about 70 hours a week between planning, creating digital resources, and meeting with students.

Last edited by Singvogel; 06-26-2020 at 04:10 PM..
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-26-2020, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Responding to knowing governor issuing state guidelines- we got our "marching" orders this week and I still don't know how to plan or what to plan for. 50% in school. What does that mean? Alternating groups? Virtual teaching while at home or home group does paper/pencil that they took from school? How do we teach all the curriculum that way? It still doesn't make any planning easier. Too many unknowns until the district gives us more and expectations. It is just crazy.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

No Thank You
Old 06-26-2020, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm retired, but I never did any planning in the summer. It was my time to relax and chill out.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Glad to be retired
Old 06-26-2020, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am so happy to be retired and to not have to be in such a state of limbo. I spent much of my summers prepping for the new year, I enjoyed it!

If I was still teaching today, I would be focusing on how I would supply my students with the tools for keeping them separated at school and available at home if needed. I loved using the Marcy Cook tiles activities so I would make the tiles out of the foam sheets from Dollar Tree. Iíd make larger 1-10 cards. Iíd also be writing Donors Choose projects for distance learning kits that would also work in the classroom. Iíd ask for things to make personal response board like sheet protectors and card stock, scissors, dice, counters, multiplication charts, and organizers to keep the supplies together.

In my area there is a company matching funds for things that are used for distance learning and Iím surprised how quickly projects are being funded.

I would be looking for summer projects that would double as in the classroom with distancing and the possibility of distant learning.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 06-26-2020, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a new English curriculum, so I have been looking at that. I will be using it one way or the other.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 06-26-2020, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Nope. Even though we have a framework for how it'll look, it's still a month and a half away and I can bet things will be very different from what they say no, especially as cases are rising in many areas.

googaleeebear is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Plans
Old 06-26-2020, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We had a meeting where they told us to plan and record 20 minute lessons using Screencastify, which they will provide training for in July. Iím not doing anything until after that training. My job has tripled and I deserve a break - so do we all!

They want us to be ďready for anythingď by the scheduled first day of school. But that doesnít mean I have to give up my summer (& I wonít!)!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 06-26-2020, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Nope. We just got out last week. We won't hear anything until about a month before we return in late August. I'm not wasting time planning for something that may or may not happen the way I think it will.

Even if we're 50% what does that mean? Are we going to stick to teaching just math and Ela in elementary? Will they have any specials? Will they want us to pass on social studies and science for now to make up for lost time?

If part of the time is supposed to be done remotely where do I get the materials for that? Will remote days be instructional days or doing worksheets and practice to go along with what they did in class? Or will they somehow live stream to watch the instruction going on in class on their remote days? We don't have the bandwidth for that for 20 classrooms. Should we even be touching papers the kids touch?

No idea what the day will look like and I'm not going to try to guess at this point.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Purplecrayons

Old 06-26-2020, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I teach middle school students with moderate to severe disabilities. I just was told my class will be part of the students that come everyday, but our community based outings are suspended until further notice. Also, not sure if I can use our sensory room and our life skills / kitchen room . So, Iím not planning until I get some direction on what I will or will not have access to.
Purplecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
0-0-0-0

0-0-0-0

Old 06-26-2020, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Teachers can choose to work over the summer. I choose not to. I don't get paid over the summer. My summer belongs to me. Having taught over 20 years now, I've always figured it out and it has always come together once the new year begins. It's my job. I enjoy my job. However, it's not my life.

tgbwc

No
Old 06-26-2020, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This is my 27th summer break. I have never planned during the summer.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

Not unless you count
Old 06-26-2020, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

wild speculation, endless brainstorming, mental planning and reorganizing, and racing thoughts that keep my brain awake at night...
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 06-26-2020, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I did a couple of days of paid training.
I may look over the new phonics program (it's online).
But otherwise, no.
I'm the kind of teacher that can't plan too far in advance, because I like to get materials ready when everything is fresh in my mind. So, to plan out now just ends up being 2x the work.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 06-26-2020, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

No. It was hard to turn my brain off at first because I've taught Summer School for the last few years. I've had to force myself to get totally out of school mode. Also, like others, we don't really know what school will look like in August, so it's kind of pointless to begin planning. So far, I've managed to keep school far away from my thoughts!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-26-2020, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I haven't done any "planning" per se, but I am having a hard time turning my brain off as stuff keeps coming from school that I do need to pay attention to. At this point I have a document on my laptop and phone for ideas, and any time I have a thought about how I might be able to make something work I write it down. That way all of these ideas don't get lost, and when I do know what the situation might actually be I'll be able to go through my ideas. I'm also planning on doing some self study of nearpod and boom cards so I don't go into those things blind.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

I can't settle into any planning
Old 06-26-2020, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I usually have a project or two that I work on over the summer to prepare. But, I can't seem to focus on anything at all. Just doesn't seem worth the effort to prepare something I may not be able to use.

I have been taking a series of online classes offered by the district. Scattered subjects, but tied together with the theme of tech tools that could help with distance learning. So many things to learn! Makes me realize how much more I could have done this past few months with appropriate training and skills.

I feel pretty anxious about the next year. I am a high risk person, and our governor is wanting all students back in school, with masks optional. I might need to retire early. I don't want to do that, but don't want to die because of my job either. And if I have to retire, that leads to the question, "What will I do with all of the stuff?" Like I said, anxiety reigns!
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-26-2020, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Like some others mentioned, I have never planned in the summer. My district/school changes many things every year and it would be a waste of time. You don't learn about whatever the new requirements/things we're focusing are until before school PD in August. I also personally think it doesn't make sense to plan without knowing the students. I'm very efficient and I would hate to waste my time doing work twice (planning during the summer and then going back to redo parts of it later).

This year, I especially feel that it would be a colossal waste of time. As of now, we think we're going back in person but no one really knows. What if I spend time planning for in person and then we end up doing online? Or some weird hybrid thing? Or what if you plan online things and end up in person? IMO it makes ZERO sense to do anything now when no one has any idea what will happen. Even if we do end up going back in person like we're mostly anticipating to in my district, no one knows what that will look like with new precautions.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

some guidelines
Old 06-26-2020, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

We had a Zoom staff meeting today and found out some basics for the school year. Some of it has to do with procedures and such, but the biggest differences is that our entire K-4 school will be 1:1 in the fall. Only 4th had enough devices for each student, my grade had a cart of iPads and we rotated days. We will have do do a specific number of lessons each week through Google Classroom, so I definitely need to start preparing for that. I'm clueless about Google Classroom!
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Dawnmei
Old 06-27-2020, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

You had a staff meeting during summer break?

Last edited by travelingfar; 06-27-2020 at 10:46 AM..

SweetTea

Team Meeting
Old 06-27-2020, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

My team met for three hours to set a scope and sequence for next year. I am not doing much more until a few weeks before school starts. If I plan too much....it will be a waste of time when they tell us we have to do something else. We've been told we will have to do in person, online, and paper packet lessons...and students may be fluid in and out any of these scenarios.
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

southernfried

Old 06-27-2020, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I am, of my own volition. Iíve been mulling over what I want next year to look like since we got out in March. Iíve got a pretty good handle on what I want to do, so Iím going ahead and putting in the hours now so I have less stress during the school year.

Essentially, no matter what happens, Iím planning to teach an ďonlineĒ class. Iíll have the core of my instruction and assignments laid out, content created (video lessons), loaded into canvas, and ready to go day 1. If weíre in the classroom, weíll work through the online lessons together as a class on their devices and the smart board. My primary goal will be to teach them the routine for when we inevitably have to go back on lockdown. Once theyíre launched online I can pull small groups and conference, and we can do more interactive/discussion activities as it feels safe to do so. If we have to start the year online or if Iím tasked with teaching online and in person, everything will be there for them. It may not be my most glorious year of teaching, but Iíll have a cohesive, streamlined curriculum and be done with the constant back-and-forth worry of how Iíll adapt my teaching.

I plan to have the whole year planned out (like 90% done with that currently) and the first 5-6 weeks completely ready to go live before school starts. That way Iím consistently a month or more ahead. If I get sick or thrown a major curveball (which we all know is likely) Iíll have a good cushion.

Iím certainly not knocking anyone who is choosing to spend the summer relaxing and waiting for more guidance. But I have a toddler and a teacher-husband, so Iíll either be doing this work now during naps and on my own lazy schedule, or staying up late at night and missing out on playtime with the little one during the school year.
southernfried is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

planning--no
Old 06-27-2020, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I don't normally plan in the summer at all anyway. Our curriculum is pretty much laid out for us so no need. I read here how people work all summer to plan and I don't understand that, since our mapping is already done. My day to day I can't plan cause it's well--day to day

No idea about the fall until our Governor gives the details next week, at the earliest. Many districts around here have put out plans but honestly, until the legislature changes the law about funding, we're all going back.

I hate wasted time so to me to plan now is just wasted time for what may happen and wasting the wonderful time I have off.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

Travelingafar
Old 06-27-2020, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Yes, we had a Zoom staff meeting on Friday. Our P was understanding if we weren't able to attend, but almost everyone did.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Dawnmei
Old 06-28-2020, 01:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

That's good that the summer staff meeting was optional.

maryteach

This year especially
Old 06-28-2020, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I think that if you plan too much, you might be sorry. Layoffs are coming in a lot of places. Some of you, maybe a lot of you, won't be teaching the grade in September that you thought you would be teaching in June, that you were ASSURED you'd be teaching. I think if you get too far down the road planning out even the first quarter that a lot of that planning may end up being for nothing. I understand the need to feel like you have a plan, but right now, making a plan doesn't mean you actually HAVE a plan. Hard as it is, I think it's better to wait on the planning till the school year starts and you see what's what. You don't even know right now if you'll be online or in-person, and like I said, many don't really know for sure that there's even a job for them. The best thing to do, IMO, is to relax this summer and get all the rest you can. You're going to need it. Don't plan.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Nope!
Old 06-29-2020, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

We have some layoffs here, with more to come. I think that I have enough time to not be laid off, but I could certainly get moved. Until I know for sure, I'm not doing a thing.

I feel terrible for those laid off. They are cutting when we were already in trouble before all this started.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 06-29-2020, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I wish I could start doing some planning, but with too much uncertainty, that just isn't going to happen.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 07-01-2020, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

No. For the first time in 28 summers, I am not planning for the upcoming school year. We are still waiting to hear from our state governor so that decisions can be made. Once our district announces a plan, I will know what to plan for.

Do I feel guilty? NO. This situation has been filled with so much uncertainty, anxiety and fear. I'm trying to do lots of self-care, taking care of family and just being gentle with myself and others around me.

I'm glad to hear so many teachers are doing the same. I've taught for a long time and this by far has been the hardest past several months of my career. I know this will pass and I know we will get through this. Let's be gentle on ourselves in the present!
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Jessica123

Revolt!
Old 07-03-2020, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I too want to plan, but with all the uncertainty, I have decided to revolt by putting my feet in the air and just relax and enjoy my summer.
Jessica123 is offline   Reply With Quote