Help

The VENT

Cleaners - what do you think?

>

azteach88

Cleaners - what do you think?
Old 07-08-2020, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know many of us are still uncertain what school will even look like this upcoming school year, but I had a curious thought about cleaning supplies. We normally add Kleenex, hand sanitizer, and disinfecting wipes to our list of requested supplies each year. Even if we go back in-person, many if not all of these will be in short supply for us and for the public to purchase. Is there a way to have schools considered as ďpriorityĒ with the companies that make these supplies to help insure that our classrooms are clean and kids have access to Kleenex and such? Would we (schools and teachers) not be considered as an important infrastructure that needs these items before the general public? I mean, if schools arenít clean enough, we all know everything spreads quickly. With custodial staff cut short as it is, the responsibility often falls on teachers to keep the rooms clean. Parents are screaming they need to go back to work (which I get) and we all know that online learning isnít consistent enough for optimal learning. When kids are sick and I believe they will be FORCED to stay home this year, parents will continue to miss work.

I guess this is a vent about the lack of cleaning supplies I know that we will have access to this year. I know our district will supply their eco-friendly crap which is simply watered down to make it last longer and has zero affect on germs, but it smells pretty! I just feel that the ďcleanlinessĒ of our classrooms and the plan for how often and who will do it with what supplies has yet to be addressed. Maybe your districts have a plan, but ours sure doesnít and if they did, they arenít sharing. FYI, school starts in 2 weeks for us and I feel our district has had a ton of time to come up with something by now!

Thanks for reading and listening. I know we are all battling this issue in one form or another.

azteach88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 07-08-2020, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are quite a few parents out there that do not want their kiddos exposed to Clorox wipes and strong disinfecting products. Iíve actually had teachers tell me to use baby wipes to clean desk tops since they get so much pushback from parents. I have no answers, just shaking my head with all of it. I do agreed that sick kids must be kept home. And when the nurse calls you to come get your sick child PICK THEM UP!
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Cleaning productd
Old 07-08-2020, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In CA weíre no longer allowed to use Clorox type wipes when children are in the room. They are considered an insecticide because they kill bacteria.

Iím wondering, does Hexol still exist? It was some vile smelling product that hospitals used back in the day.

And FWIW, considering the lack of custodial performance prior to Covid, hopes are low that rooms will get really clean. Once again it will be up to teachers to pick up the slack.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

school districts
Old 07-09-2020, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

are supposed to get extra money to deal with COVID19. Throw it back on admin.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 07-09-2020, 10:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This brings up a pet peeve of mine. In what other job must employees bring their own tissues, soap, hand sanitizer and other cleaning supplies for common use? Iím surprised we donít have to supply our own toilet paper.

apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 07-10-2020, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been wondering about this as well. I have not seen 1 pkg of sanitizing wipes available for purchase in a store since before all this happened. How will every child in school bring a pkg?

Also, we have a cleaning service (and I use that term VERY loosely!) of 2 women who vacuum, empty the garbage & dust mop the floor daily for 3 buildings. Cannot see them handling the sanitizing efforts at all.
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Latest plan
Old 07-12-2020, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our district's latest plan is that custodians will clean bathrooms every hour, and teachers will pick up the slack by "helping" with cleaning desks.

Oh, and they have a new curriculum they want us to implement!
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Not Sure
Old 07-12-2020, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm not sure what will be done. I have a feeling that maybe at first we will get a token amount of cleaning supplies so they can tell parents we have them. However, I remember when we got ONE bottle of hand sanitizer during H1N1 years back, we weren't even allowed to keep it out in case kids drank it.

I always do supply my own wipes throughout the year. However, I haven't been able to even find wipes. Of course, I don't shop that much anymore, but I haven't found any.

If we do go back and they give us nothing, I'm thinking that I will make a bleach solution every morning to spray down my own stuff. (It only lasts a few hours, but I put bleach and water in a spray bottle.) Our janitors don't have enough time as is, so I don't trust them to be able to sanitize the entire place.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 07-12-2020, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One year when I taught 27 tk students I felt compelled to invest in Norwex rags in CA because we had a severe outbreak of a rare form of Strep. We had an absent and ineffective custodian . Even though this year we had stellar custodians I still touched up with those rags. I have allergies myself and struggle with Clorox products.

My two cents worth is that if school reopens full time (4 days) the campus needs to be cleaned one day a week like on Wed. for deep cleaning. Just spraying daily isn't enough.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

azteach88

I agree with so many of you...
Old 07-12-2020, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Especially the 4-day model. We need one day of solid cleaning. We can use Clorox wipes, but we canít use them when kids are present and we obviously canít have kids use them on their own desks and chairs. Donít get me started on the whole Lysol spray when students are around.

There is no perfect model. I just wish we were being told what the plan is with keeping things clean. I am a person who got sick from asymptotic students and I NEVER want to go through that again. I lost a year of teaching so needless to say Iím a clean fanatic and very nervous about going back without a solid plan.

azteach88 is offline   Reply With Quote