Help

The VENT

Grades disappeared from gradebook!

>

MissAgnes

Grades disappeared from gradebook!
Old 11-27-2019, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I went into my gradebook to enter writing grades from an assignment, only to find that all the writing grades I've entered for this quarter have somehow disappeared!! There were at least 3 weeks worth of grades entered, I don't have a back up, and I've handed those assignments back!
Ugh! What to do????

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is it your own spreadsheet or a school or district operated system? If it is the later, send them an email and let them know - then try to forget about it. What can you do?

Take a couple days off for the holiday.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

District system.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I sent an email. We still have 3 weeks left in the quarter. Guess I'm just going to have to get a lot of writing grades.
What a pain.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

onion girl

Old 11-27-2019, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Check to make sure that the gradebook did not somehow revert to a different quarter. That happened to me once. When I switched back to the correct dates my data came back.
onion girl is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Old 11-27-2019, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Happened to me once. Called the IT guru, and he retrieved them somehow. I think it had already gone to the next quarter before I could enter final grades. I don't remember, but I was SO relieved!

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Try hitting
Old 11-27-2019, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

" cntrl Z"

Dont panic. The kids usually remember. You can ask them to compile what they think their grade was. Most are going to be honest.

Don't panic
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 11-28-2019, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If itís your district grade book, the IT/tech department should find it. Check the other grade books and marking periods. We have had several grades disappear. Our tech department can retrieve them. Do you have the writing papers? You can put the grades in again. This is the reason I donít give tests or anything graded back to the kids. I keep them. If I need to send home failing grades, I make a copy and send that home. Iím always afraid my grades will be removed due to some technology error. I hope you find them.
mommy9298 is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 11-28-2019, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So frustrating! But you have three weeks to pull something together, and kids seem to stay at about the same level. I suppose you could justify grading on just the last 3 weeks by saying you wanted to see which lessons were learned well enough to apply consistently.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

If IT doesn't get the data back, you
Old 11-28-2019, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

don't have much choice. Justify away! 1x I lost my GB near the end of the yr. ( Back in the days before computer GB's.)
WE turned in our yr plan and gradebooks during sign out. I asked and had to have it to sign out because of state regs.
So I looked at their report cards (paper then) and started in Q1. ( Rewrote names.)
I looked at an average grade, made up grades to average that number for each and every kid, for every single Q and wrote them in the new GB.. It was a royal pain, but got easier as I eventually had a cheat sheet for sets of grades that averaged other grades.
After that I always kept my lesson plans and gradebooks in a case and took them home nightly.
By this time of yr, you could probably guesstimate pretty well if you have to or ask the kids. Your idea of slamming them w/ 3 wks grades works too.
Sorry! I know how frustrating it is as I have lost lesson plans like that too off of the computer. They just disappeared.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 11-28-2019, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Ugh! You know the kids and their abilities. If IT canít recover, get a few grades and go with it. No parents will be the wiser. I find we (I) worry a lot, but parents usually trust us and donít question things we donít tell them about.

Hope it all works...let us know how it goes.

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 11-29-2019, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The kids may still have the assignments handed back at home and could check/bring them back?
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

Gradebook
Old 11-29-2019, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am the gradebook point of contact at my school. If this happened here, I would definitely contact the people at your district who are overseeing grade books. I would imagine that they have back up systems in place. The grades didnít disappear because of something you did. I donít feel that you should have to do anything to hunt down those grades or redo activities in order to get grades. Thatís their issue to resolve. Good luck.
Marriedin79 is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

I am so sorry...
Old 11-29-2019, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

...what a hassle it is to lose your grades on the computer!
I have no suggestions for recovery, because the one time it happened at our school, they were not recoverable...except for those of us who kept a paper grade book. I enter my grades in a standard paper grade book, and because I keep the names in that grade book in alpha order, the whole process is actually faster - I usually don't even have to look at the keyboard, just enter the numbers fast.
I also like the paper grade book because it shows "progression" - it's what I call a "living document." If I give a retake or a kid makes up a HW assignment, I can see the old grade crossed out and the new one entered, showing the progression of the kid's work. This has been very helpful in dealing with both the kid and with parents. The computer grade book just shows the final entry, not the whole story.
I sure hope the grades are found! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-29-2019, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Are you sure for some reason, you didn't click on a different marking period? I did that once, called IT and they had me recheck the mp. I had clicked on the wrong one and all my grades were there. Good luck!
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote