Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Vet drama from our dog

>

kerrysgirl

Vet drama from our dog
Old 07-16-2020, 04:41 PM

Had to take my my herd (3 cats, 1 big baby dog) for shots and check ups this week. Called when we got there and a phalanx of techs came out to collect the herd. Last tech got dog duty. My dog refused to get out of the back of our Suburban and tech asked for help. No prob. Me and DS rounded her up and got her on the ground. Dog then refused to walk on her lead/harness and be led in. Poor tech had to go in, get another tech and the two of them carried her in for shots. On the way out, the same poor tech came sprinting out with the dog, who jumped right in and went to a corner of the vehicle where no one could reach her. I wish the tech would have let me give her a tip! She refused when I asked if I could give her one...She did suggest anxiety medicine for the dog, though. I think I'll call the vet about it before next time!

Seriously, though, our dog is usually really good. I'm kinda wondering if the group of masked people worried her...

Hope everyone's critters are doing well!

kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-16-2020, 04:44 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said something about the mask, especially if she has never behaved like that at the vet's office. It could have also had something to do with you not being able to accompany her in. Glad its over! So thoughtful of you to offer her a tip!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aderynbach

Old 07-16-2020, 04:51 PM

No advice but my dog did the same thing! She loves the vet normally but since the techs have to take her in, she gets really scared!
Aderynbach is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-16-2020, 05:00 PM

Oh boy! I have to bring my cat next week. At least she is small and in a carrier....no chance at refusal
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Aw must have been scary
Old 07-16-2020, 05:34 PM

Your dog might have been thrown off by the masks, or perhaps just by the change of routine at the vet's.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-16-2020, 05:51 PM

Mason learned quickly that my new car was large enough for him to engage in a game of “Chase Mason” with the techs. They went to one side, he went to the other, then he went to the back of the car, then he went to the front, and round and round they went.

Then, when she brought him back, the dog who couldn’t jump, jumped in the on his own before the hatch was completely open. I laughed so hard I cried.

My dogs were notorious.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 07-16-2020, 07:42 PM

My dog loves going to the vet, but she would not like it if I wasn't the one taking her in. If she has to go to the vet again I wonder if they would let you walk her to the door? And, just to state the obvious, I can't wait until all of this is over!
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 07-17-2020, 05:52 AM

My dog hates the masks.
The poor puppy, who we are socializing, does not like them either. I have thought about wearing one around the house sometimes just to get her use to it before the vet.

I am beginning to wonder about face shields in places like the vet.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-17-2020, 06:37 AM

Aw, poor pup. While it was extra work, I'm pretty sure vets and vet techs are pretty used to behaviors such as that. At least your dog wasn't fear aggressive (though they have ways of safely handling that as well).

Quote:
Mason learned quickly that my new car was large enough for him to engage in a game of “Chase Mason” with the techs. They went to one side, he went to the other, then he went to the back of the car, then he went to the front, and round and round they went.

This made me smile. Too funny!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote