Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

PT Ice Breaker

>

all41

PT Ice Breaker
Old 09-19-2020, 02:46 PM

Let’s play a Back to School Ice Breaker game! I know, I know……but this one will be fun! I promise.

Please introduce yourself and share anything you would like us to know about you. It can specific. It can be vague. It can be funny. It can be sad. It can be uplifting. It can be a secret. It can be long. It can be brief. It can be ANYTHING you feel like sharing. Just share something.

Last edited by all41; 09-19-2020 at 03:10 PM..
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 09-19-2020, 02:46 PM

FIRST NAME: All LAST NAME: Forty-One

And this is my story……

I am the oldest of 5 siblings.

I have been married for more than 25 years.

I have 3 adult children, all boys, or men now, I guess.

My ‘screen name’ is a phrase my grandmother used to always use when she had a lot to do. She would say she had 41 things on her to do list and she got “all 41” done! I like to be busy and I make lists just like she did. That phrase has stuck with me and I have been known to use it.

My relationship with my mother is not where I would like it to be and that makes me sad. However, I know I cannot have toxic people in my life that continually tear me down. It makes me feel selfish.

I am thinking about going back to school for a second master’s degree. Scary.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-19-2020, 02:50 PM

I am amiga13 because I majored in Spanish, I am sustained by my friendships and want to be a good friend to others, and 13 is my lucky number (because I was born on Friday the 13th—as my mom said, “That explains it”).

I only taught for 30 years (all grades 1-8) because I was a SAHM for 11 years (in the middle). I loved teaching. I felt privileged to be called teacher. Learning still fascinates me. Watching DH’s dementia taught me a great deal about the brain and what it means to be human.

*I have always had a love/hate relationship with food and have always struggled with my weight. Others see me as strong, but chocolate wins the battle every time.
*I have always been an avid reader. My favorite writers are Michael Chabon, John Irving, Nick Hornby, Ann Tyler, and Joyce Carol Oates. I love listening to books as I take seaside walks.
*I have always had friends. Aren’t I fortunate?

Last edited by amiga13; 09-19-2020 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Sorry if this is boring stuff & I’ve overshared
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Hello
Old 09-19-2020, 02:54 PM

I was born in 1956. My nick name is BD and my first two initials.

I started teaching as a home economics teacher in 1982.

I also have a dance minor and taught HS dance for a year as a fine arts elective while also being the sponcer for the drill team.

Then I went back to school and got my language arts certification and taught that as well in MS and HS before I had my own children.

After I stayed home for a few years with my boys I went back to school again and got my elementary certification.

So I have a wide variety of teaching experiences. It was fun but now I am enjoying retirement.

Last edited by 1956BD; 09-19-2020 at 05:09 PM..
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Oh my gosh!
Old 09-19-2020, 03:16 PM

All41, I was reading your name as "All for One" not "All forty-one"!

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

SassyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Me
Old 09-19-2020, 04:00 PM

I'm Teacherbee. I'm 31, going to be 32, and in my 10th year of teaching. I currently teach 4th grade. I've taught 4th and 5th grade. I've taught in public and parochial school. I currently teach in a parochial (Catholic School). I spent 5 years in public and this is my 5th year in Catholic. I'm so happy I made the switch. I really love all of the subjects, but I think math would be my favorite to teach. Although, as soon as I say that, I think but wait, I like this subject and this subject and this subject and so on.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
dutchgirl
Old 09-19-2020, 04:05 PM
This message has been deleted by dutchgirl. Reason: Still too much info

cemsnowy4

Old 09-19-2020, 04:05 PM

My name is cemsnowy4 because when I was thinking of a user name for this site the only thIng I could think of was the user name I used to create my kids
webkinís account.

I have been teaching Third grade for almost all of the 27 years.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 09-19-2020, 04:15 PM

I'm GreenBunny. I know it's difficult to believe but that's not my real name. When I joined PT whenever it was, I looked around the room and my eyes landed on one of Boy's old toys that I still can't bring myself to give up.

I'm not going back to school except to teach Art at a local community centre. I love teaching in general and I love teaching Art specifically.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Old 09-19-2020, 04:19 PM

I am tctrojan because that was that mascot at my school. I retired after 32 years. I taught special ed., Lang. arts and 8th grade math all the same year for my last three years of teaching. I was old enough I could teach anything. (No band, PE , or art) I will be 60 next month. I have been married for over 25 years. No secrets here!
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 09-19-2020, 04:23 PM

My name is sonoma because I love sonoma county and Iím a nor cal girl at heart. I came to Los Angeles out of high school to be a dancer but ended up teaching for 30 years.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-19-2020, 04:30 PM

I am GreyhoundGirl because, weíll, I love Greyhounds and when I went to join, Cardfan was taken.

I have been teaching for 17 and teaching has really tested my fortitude. I have been fired once, RIFíd twice, honorably dismisses once (donít ask) and worked for some of the best and worst principals, and everything in between. There are days I question if itís what I want to be doing, but Iím the end I canít imagine doing anything else.

Iím extremely lucky to have amazing parents who support me no matter what. I know how lucky I am and I thank God for it everyday.

Iím an introvert who prefers to be an extrovert and working from home with my dog(s) is what Iíve been training for my whole life. I have also struggled with my weight my whole life.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 09-19-2020, 04:34 PM

I just signed up for Weight Watchers. Again. I'm a life- time member, but this is the heaviest I've ever been without being 9 months pregnant. Darn covid. I went for the 6 months membership. I know this stuff - I need to stick to it, and having to pay helps. I plan to start on Monday.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
happygirl444

happygirl444

Old 09-19-2020, 04:41 PM

I'm happygirl444. There was a song by Martina McBride back in the day by the same name, and I loved it so I made it my screen name. I taught for 9 years, and now I am at home with my two boys, 4 and 5. We are incredibly blessed to have adopted our boys. I am held hostage in a state and area I do not like because my husband's job is here. I am an avid reader, and I love to learn. I am currently trying to learn more about classical music and art. I am very involved in volunteering at church. I also love to sing, but I have a terrible, terrible voice.

This is a fun thread to start.

letsgomets

Let's see
Old 09-19-2020, 06:11 PM

I'm Letsgomets - because we lived in New York for 29 years. We couldn't be Yankee fans when we first moved there (dh's first love are their competitors) so we decided to root for the Mets.

We spent dh's military career in New York, and moved back to our home state when he retired from the military. I taught for 35 1/2 years and retired this August because of COVID. I'm kind of at loose ends right now - trying to enjoy retirement, but I am a huge type A person, so it's a struggle. I'm hoping to settle in more soon.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 09-19-2020, 06:12 PM

Hi, I'm MissTrace. Not all that creative - it's based on my name.

This is my 21st year teaching and my third school. I've taught 2nd and 3rd grade. Now I teach k-5 reading and have several other duties. I honestly love my job and hope that the position doesn't become a victim of looming budget cuts.

I've been married 19 years. We couldn't have children, so I am now mom to the cutest dog in the world and sweetest cat ever. The cat arrived at our house when the pup was a few months old and decided to move in. She's my first cat and I am so glad she chose us.

I love to read, travel, and craft. Crochet is my favorite way to spend the day at home and I have a very real yarn addiction. I am an introvert who is enjoying being home and avoiding social situations way too much. I do miss carefree family visits and traveling.
MissTrace is online now   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 09-19-2020, 06:16 PM

I am a night owl. Even on school nights, I would stay up late, teach my heart out the next day, and then come home and take a nap before getting up to make dinner and supervise homework. Hence the name "timeforbed". I was telling myself to get off the Internet.

I taught for 27 1/2 years before an incident during a routine knee replacement surgery went awry. I had unconfirmed severe sleep apnea, not noticed since I wasn't a snorer. That caused a problem in the recovery room after the operation when the nurse on duty gave me pain medication. It slowed down my breathing enough to make me turn blue. If my son hadn't been there watching me and if he hadn't had enough sense to notify the nurses on duty, I would have died. Instead, I spent months in the hospital in ICU in a medically induced coma and then learned how to walk, eat, and think again. Not something that works with a teaching career! I tried to go back to school instead of retiring like the doctor suggested, but it was a no go. So I retired early. I use a cane to walk now, and a wheelchair if it's a distance like in a store. I am thrilled to be alive, and that has become my new motto. Seriously, I am a happy person.

I am well-traveled, lived overseas when I was a teenager, and have traveled/camped all over the United States. I used to hike a lot. Now I am a backroads explorer and I take a lot of photographs of what I find.

Enough. I need to stop and go to bed.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 09-19-2020, 06:19 PM

I am Cat woman because I am enthralled with cats. I taught for 33 years before retiring. Mostly second grade, but sometimes first and sometimes a combo of both. I absolutely loved teaching literacy and helping struggling readers succeed. After my retirement I found out that at Student Support Team meetings, when they discussed students that made significant gains and they found out they were my students, they were attributed to be ďCat womanedĒ ( well, not that word, but my real last name).

I used to ride my bike really a lotó- doing at least one century ride a year. Now days not so much!

Last December I found out I had breast cancer. Totally shocked me because it was found so early. I finished radiation just as Stay at Home orders were enacted so I never got to have my celebratory lobster and drinks with friends and family. I feel fortunate that my treatment went smoothly and pretty much forget I ever had cancer.

Within the last year I have expanded my interest in machine embroidery and quilting. I find it fascinating and a great way to express creativity. I had
participated in several craft fairs (until pandemic) and hope to resume them in the future. I get a kick out of interacting with other crafters and people interested in my items.

I am a foster failure to three of the most beautiful, albeit quirky, cats I affectionately call the Three Hooligans.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 09-19-2020, 06:43 PM

I am jazzer because I have been a professional jazz saxophone player for many years. I taught band, music, and theatre for 20 years all in private schools, and 13 of them as an owner of an education business that provided outside music lesson services to schools.

I never got state certified which I know I very unusual for someone who taught in regular school settings. My bachelorís degree in music administration ended up being almost the same as a music ed degree save for a few classes and student teaching. I ended up getting a private school job on a lateral entry basis while working on the certificate, and after a year got a job as a band director for an outside music service like the one I started. Later, I decided I wanted to be a business owner and not a public school employee and could afford to go that route. Oddly, I am now a public school employee as a teaching assistant and my business fizzled out. Never say never I guess.

I have acted in and directed community and semi professional theatre productions for 25 years. I miss doing that and playing with the jazz group I started. It has been a while since I have done either thing.

I have been married for 14 years and with my husband for almost 17 years. I didnít get married until I was 38. I never wanted children because I wanted both a career in teaching and in performing. I never thought of myself competent enough to raise a child.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Ice Breaker
Old 09-19-2020, 06:47 PM

I came to teaching as a second career when California downsized all the classrooms. I had a reputation for being good with the problematic students. And for speaking my mind. A lot.

My ďnameĒ indicates my culture. It is also my license plate and my name on some online games.

I was born and raised I. San Francisco and am second generation on dads side and 4th generation on momís side.

I lived in SF during the 60ís through 80ís. I have a colorful past!
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 09-19-2020, 07:07 PM

Hi Everybody! I'm 2teach2! I came up with this name because I have 2 children and I teach 2nd grade. I've been married for 31 years and am on year 35 of teaching. I would SO love to retire, but I am the main breadwinner in my house, and it's not financially feasible. I love dogs and cats and have one of each. I love to read, garden, travel, putter around in my home, and do puzzles and games. I would consider myself an introvert, and I had no problem staying home during the pandemic! I can easily amuse myself for days on end.
I've really enjoyed reading about everyone!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 09-19-2020, 08:16 PM

Hi, I'm D. I know my name shows md2dkh3 which is the first letters of members of my familly and 2nd grade teacher, 3 kids, but I'm one of the Ds. When I initially found this site, I had no idea that it would be a place to visit and share - I thought more of a place to give and receive resources so I just used my go-to nondescript user name. Would love a do over!

Anyway, I was married 26 years and now divorced 12. I taught 2nd grade almost all the years that I taught but did teach 3rd grade a few years. I retired just this past May. I love quilting and sewing, reading, and of course spending time with my kids and grandsons! Even though I live in South Texas, summer is my favorite season. When possible, I'd love to travel now that I'm retired and have more time.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 09-19-2020, 08:23 PM

tia is my name. (named after some corny western song which includes my middle name as well.) i like having a "different" name; i do wish it were a bit longer and had more substance, tho--i hated it as a child since i could never find a pen or license plate or mug with my name on it--even though i grew up in california and tia means aunt in spanish....

i've taught at the same elementary school in idaho my entire career--28 years--most of those in 6th grade--this is my 4th year in 5th. am devastated that my teaching partner/friend decided to join our district's online school because she is terrified of the virus (and DH has some pre-existing conditions). but we still are in contact and teaching same grade, so we share stuff. my "new" teaching partner came up from 4th because a combo happened below her--we get along well and think alike (so far), so i'm grateful for that. i fear i may scare her a bit because my brain is constantly running, and when i think of an activity i want to do or assignment, i whip it up and send it to her. (she probably thinks i have my poop in a group--but i'm really behind in some essential areas.)

my school is pretty close-knit, so this not congregating and hiding in our rooms (we've been virtual for first 5 weeks--teaching from our school--came out of red and into yellow, so primary comes back half of them, alternating days next week) has really hit me. (i enjoyed avoiding people all spring and summer, but to be around my coworkers/friends and not BE WITH them has been tough!)

we are finally empty-nesters with 2 sons on their own--in our city--hoping that one day they will discover a career that aligns with their passions. neither one finished college and that breaks my teacher's heart.

wait...what was i supposed to be sharing?bb i'm not awesome at following directions---following a recipe is a disaster. i do like to try out new dishes, but i'm also a messy cook and don't clean as i go. i like to sew (but am an amateur). love to read while sitting in the sun. enjoy running. (haven't had much time since school started and now we have smoke from fires in other states--ick) a little storm cleared some of that up, so i may get to go out tomorrow.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 09-19-2020, 09:49 PM

I'm Song of Joy because that's the meaning of my first name and because I didn't have the good sense to leave out the spaces in my user name. Also, because when I taught, we sang every day.

Teaching was a midlife career for me, and I worked for 25 years, most of it in 2nd grade in a faith based school. I've been married to a real upbeat guy for 44 years and have 2 sons with 3 grandkids that I've hardly been able to see lately and it breaks my heart.

In my retirement life, I love gardening on our 5 acres, going to Bible Study, and being part of an Enrichment Women's Club that has been in existence for more than 100 years. I love nature walks and hope I'll be going on more after I recover from this hip replacement surgery. My new leg is 1/2 inches longer now though. That disappoints me.

My DH and I both have part time retirement jobs. He's the handyman at the private school where I used to teach and I tutor local kids - many of them with dyslexia. My tutoring students are very dear to me which I discovered after surgery when there was so much outpouring of support with flowers, cards, fruits and prayers for recovery.

I've worked super hard all my life and learned how to use tools for home repairs and maintenance. We survived a devastating flood in 1996 and moved our house. Believe it or not, COVID is not the most stressful thing I've been through.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

ice breaker
Old 09-20-2020, 02:48 AM

My PT name (Linda/OH) is my real first name and I live in Ohio.

I just retired from teaching fourth grade most of my 27 years.

I've been married 43 years, have one son and a daughter. And one precious granddaughter.

I am an avid gardener both flowers and vegetable. Sitting on my porch are 2 baskets of a variety of peppers waiting to be used.

I also enjoy reading and binge watching tv.

I love walking, hiking and most of all biking! In the summer and fall, I spend time almost daily doing one of them.

We enjoy traveling but our plans are delayed with Covid, but so looking forward to getting away some day...

Terrific thread! I love reading everyone's backstories and interests!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 09-20-2020, 04:51 AM

Well.. I am neanea, but I am embarrassed to admit that I messed up my user name when I registered and never bothered to change it. It was supposed to have been "naenae" Nae being the back end of my middle name and a nickname my uncle used to call me.

31 yrs ago I graduated from college with an elementary ed degree with a kindergarten endorsement. I always had dreams of being a kindergarten teacher. Well things didn't pan out as planned.

My first job out of college was teaching kindergarten at a daycare. I hated it. Most kids went to regular half day kindergarten in the public schools and did not want more teaching at day care. I struggled tremendously and had no support. I got married and pregnant that year, so after one year I quit.

From then on, my top priority was raising my four children. My husband's job had us moving about every two years, so I didn't even bother to look for a teaching job.

By the time my forth was born, we were living in another state and I would have had to take more college classes to become licensed there. With a young family and short on money, I shelved that idea.

When my youngest was eight, I got certified as a substitute teacher and did that for almost nine years. I became burned out of that, so now I am a paraprofessional in the sped room. I have no desire to ever becoming a classroom teacher anymore.

I am a shy introvert and probably even socially awkward. I don't post very often here, but I do read this forum everyday.
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

Ice breaker
Old 09-20-2020, 06:24 AM

My name is brooks56 which is part of my name and birth year. I meant to capitalize brooks when I signed up.

I taught for 32 years, mostly 5th grade.

My husband and I have been married for 36 years.

We have two grown sons who are both employed at banks; one in technology and one as a loan officer. We are also going to be grandparents in February.

I live within 30 minutes of where I grew up and am within a few hours of the beach and the mountains.

I enjoy walking, reading, thrift shopping, cross stitching, and PT.
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 09-20-2020, 07:11 AM

I'm nucleus because I had to change my name some years back and I opened the dictionary, pointed to a word and it was nucleus. I felt it suited me since I'm the nucleus of my family anyway.

I'm in my 25th year of teaching the same grade. I hope to retire in 9 years having only taught that grade. It's a badge of honor at my school since teachers are moved often.

My DH passed away 5 years ago and I'm going it alone now. People have asked if I plan on dating again and I really don't. I was with my DH since I was a teenager. I can't imagine loving anyone else. Plus I was never on my own so I'm taking this time for me.

I have two cats that are driving me crazy with health problems. I don't know if I'll ever be able to travel again because one is on medicine that she doesn't like to take. I love to travel and it's driving me insane to stay home so much.
nucleus is online now   Reply With Quote

freckleface

Ice breaker
Old 09-20-2020, 09:37 AM

Hi, I'm freckleface. It comes from a childhood nickname. Do you remember the Pillsbury powdered drink mixes from the 60's? This really dates me! Anyway, I was named after Freckleface Strawberry because I had freckles.My brother was Goofy Grape, one of sisters was Loudmouth Lime, and my other sister was Lefty Lemon.

I graduated from college in 1975 and taught for 36 years before retiring in 2019. I took 8 years off in the middle to take care of my kids. I've taught 2, 4, and 5th. 5th was my favorite! I am loving retirement and I think I retired at just the right time!

I am married to a farmer and we've been married 43 years. We have 1 daughter and 2 sons. My youngest son is getting married October 10, 2020. We're crossing our flingers that everything will goes as planned. Our other son was married in April at the height of shutdown and all the wedding plans went down the drain. They were married in a farm field and it was beautiful. We have 2 especially cute granddaughters, but I don't get to see them very much as they live 2 1/2 hours from us.

I am enjoying retirement, even though I have become my DH's hired man!

I am also a diehard Iowa Hawkeye fan and am so glad the the BIG 10 is playing football again! Go Hawks! My DH is an Iowa State Cyclone grad and so we have some interesting "debates"!
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

PT ice breaker
Old 09-20-2020, 10:49 AM

Hi, I'm Ruby tunes. My PT name is borrowed from my beloved red Doberman who died some years ago.

I am officially retired after 37 years in public schools but I've been teaching adult immigrants part time the last three years. I have a good pension and really don't need to work but the students are inspiring and I enjoy my co-workers. Now I only work remotely due to COVID.

I have owned and trained four Dobermans, one at a time, over the years. They each earned advanced AKC obedience titles. I like the breed for their intelligence, high energy, and loyalty. I have also owned three beloved cats, all rescued from schools.

I love my desert home in SoCal but I am very grateful to have a small mountain cabin to which I escape in the summer. I enjoy reading, walking or moderate hiking, casual bicycling, and dog training. Normally, I love entertaining, going to concerts or shows, and enjoying restaurants but, sadly, all that is on hold now. Nevertheless, in spite of a few personal health challenges and the threat of COVID, life is good!

Stay safe, PTers!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

boxermama

Me
Old 09-20-2020, 12:18 PM

I am Boxermama because I love boxer dogs. We have had one or two in our family since 1998. I am dog mom to Molly and Sally right now. I am mom of 3 and nana to 3 soon to be 4. My husband and I have been married for 26 years.

In the past 33 years I have taught every grade K-8 except 4th. I also taught preschool in college. I teach second grade now (and have for the last 16 years) and I have been at the same school for the last 30 years. I am the only original teacher to the school that is left. I am 95% certain this is my last year. Distance Learning is going to do me in!

I have lost 35 pounds on WW since the end of May. I have a way to go, but being on the losing end of weight loss feels great!
boxermama is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-20-2020, 12:49 PM

Great idea! I have enjoyed reading every single one of these and will be back later to read more!

My first teaching job ended being at an elementary school I attended in 4th and 5th grades! I taught 5th grade as a long term sub and got a position at the same school teaching 1st grade the following year! For most of my career I have taught K and public PK. I retired from public school after 31 years and now teach in the state VPK program, housed in a faith based (WS Lutheran) childcare center. I LOVE it, though as an ELCA Lutheran we do clash a bit ! DH and I are both very active in our church!

I've been married 36 years! After a struggle with infertility we welcomed 2 sons in the next 3 years and 9 years later began fostering a newborn girl who later became our daughter. She has struggled with bipolar and drug addiction, but is now 100% clean at 21 and expecting her 1st child, a girl, in October, our 1st grandchild! Our boys are married to wonderful women whom we adore. One works in a local branch of our state prison as a classification officer. His wife is general manager at a Chick fil-A. Our younger DS is an assistant store manager at a Kohl's and his wife is a mental health counselor at the county jail. We also have an affection and adorable pit bull named Skye.

I am both a breast and endometrial cancer survivor!

Next!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 09-20-2020, 03:56 PM

I'm pdxteacher because I live in Portland, OR and just couldn't find the will to be more creative when I joined.

My first teaching job was in kindergarten - where I quickly learned K teachers are angels in disguise and I am definitely not one of them! Are 5 year-olds actually real humans yet? My experience says no. So for the last 15 years I've been teaching middle school "life skills" and it's just the best. The hard days can be tough, but the good days make it worth it.

I read. A lot. Almost anything except sci-fi and romance. The podcasts I listen to are mostly about books. I don't watch much TV unless it's British crime drama or The Great British Bake Off. And The Office. And The West Wing. Ok, maybe I watch a fair amount of TV, but it's very selective.

My spouse, corgi, two cats, and lots of of love from my adorable niece and nephew fill up my life. Living in the PNW means we get to have lots of outside adventures - snowshoeing in the winter, hiking in the spring, and trips to the coast in the summer. I feel lucky to love where I live.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Me
Old 09-20-2020, 04:27 PM

My name comes from my beloved, late companion animal, Anabel. She was 12 when I joined PT. I live in the center of California and am lucky to be able to spend time on the coast.
My 92 year old mom lives with us for now. I just couldn't leave her at her senior residence with no visitors, especially since we have room and I'm not going anywhere! My sister spells me a week a month, plus helps out at home.
I taught K and 1st for 30 years after spending time as a hotel desk clerk after college.
My DH and I have done a lot of traveling using frequent flyer miles he earned as a traveling sales rep.Now we're sticking close to home, as everyone is, but we're hoping for one more big trip. Where should we go? Austrailia? Iceland?
I'm trying very hard to single space after a period. Not successful every time!
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

3togo

Old 09-20-2020, 05:13 PM

Iím 3togo. When I joined PT, I had to come up with a name on the spot. Not realizing that it would be difficult to change my name later, I came up with 3to go, because at the time I had 3 years to go until I could retire!

I started teaching in 1979. I always wanted to be a primary teacher, so of course my first class was a grade 5/6! I moved down the grade levels gradually, until I finally got my dream grade - grade 1.

I retired 8 years ago and started tutoring 7 years ago. I have also volunteered in schools. This year I am homeschooling my 4 year old granddaughter, because of Covid.

Iíve been married for 34 years, have a son and a daughter and 3 beautiful granddaughters. I also have a sweet maltipoo named Coco.

I have always lived in Southern Ontario. I grew up in a major city, but have lived about 45 minutes north of the city since 1988.
3togo is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 09-20-2020, 09:46 PM

I'm late to the party, but I'm enjoying learning a little about everyone.

I'm TeaPro because I enjoy drinking tea, and pro not because I am a pro at teaching, but because I often put part of the name of the site in my passwords. It helps me keep them straight.

I have two daughters and three grandchildren that bring me so much joy. I was married to my late husband for almost 40 years, and I'm still figuring out how to move on alone, and who I am now. The first year was exhausting and stressful, but now I'm finding my way, and more and more finding joy and adventure in life.

When I first found this site I looked mostly at the Busy Board and Second Grade. I found ideas that helped me step up my teaching, and even posts that helped me in my masters courses. Now I'm most often " in the Lounge."

I was a teacher for thirty years, mostly first and second grade, and am newly retired. I loved the kids, developing relationships with my students and marveling at the progress they made in 10 months, but am elated that I never have to attend another staff meeting EVER.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Aderynbach

Iím late too!
Old 09-21-2020, 04:05 PM

My name is Welsh for ďlittle bird.Ē I love birds and am rather short so, it fit!
Iím in my 11th year teaching. Iíve mostly been in 1st grade and really love first graders, even (maybe especially!) when they are really, really weird!
I struggle with perfectionism and letting go of my mistakes. Itís something the Lord and I are working on daily!
I love animals, especially my wild 1 1/2 year old Lab Wynnie and my sweet, opinionated orange Tabby Zeus.
I also love to read, walk, hike, do Bible study and cook. I injured my knee a while ago and it is not improving as I hoped so the walking and hiking are sadly limited currently.
Aderynbach is offline   Reply With Quote