Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Anyone gluten free?

>

Ms. J

Anyone gluten free?
Old 05-08-2014, 05:24 PM

Anyone out there gluten free? If so, what made you eliminate gluten from your diet? How difficult is it to maintain? Is your grocery bill significantly more expensive?

Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Gluten free
Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 PM

I am gluten free and have been for about 4 years. Ruled out celiac, which my sister had. Turned out I have a wheat allergy or intolerance to wheat. I investigated because of stomach issues but mostly because of terrible migraines.

I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables plus dairy so the grocery bill is much higher.

Many restaurants now offer lots of gluten free entrees, so that makes it much easier dining out.

Eating is very manageable once you get used to it. Why do you ask?
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

tmkteacher

Old 05-08-2014, 07:32 PM

I have Celiac, so I need to eat GF. I also have to do GF on all my hygiene products. That's almost harder than the food. It has been a journey, but it is getting easier. My grocery bills have gone up, because I try to have a few quick things on hand- cereal bar type things and snacks, and those cost quite a bit more. I find restaurants to be tricky, because I am always so worried about cross contamination.
I have found my stomach issues to be a million times better. As a bonus, my headaches have decreased and my skin issues have cleared up.
Good luck!
tmkteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ritabook2

gluten free
Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM

My good friend also has Celiac disease and when she was first diagnosed it was a real struggle for her because she was looking for GF alternatives. Keep in mind, this was almost 10 years ago and GF was almost unheard of and very hard to find, not like it is now. There is a whole section of GF food in my grocery store now! Anyway, she found that most of the GF things like breads and sweets weren't that great and not worth the other things that replaced the gluten and did like the PP said, and ate mostly protein, fruit, veggies and dairy. She always ate pretty healthy foods, so this wasn't much of a stretch and now she says the only thing she really misses is pizza! We have found that most restaurants that have GF menus are good about cross contamination and she can find something to order almost anywhere. She stays away from GF pizza in restaurants, sandwich places and any kind of salad bar because the cross contamination is too easy. It took her a couple of years to really get to know the ingredients to watch out for, and she used internet sites for support and advice. She also uses Arbonne skin care, because their stuff if GF, FYI.
ritabook2 is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Yes!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:01 PM

My roommate is and yes my grocery bill is but it's also more expensive when I am being good because I am dairy free! But she is gluten free because she is allergic to gluten.
She loves almost all veggies so it's not real hard for her. She eats a lot of corn pasta, corn tortillas, veggies with every meal, meat, cheese, etc.

Once in a great while she has a gf bagel or gf bread. Not too often (luckily since I pay for groceries and it's usually about $6 for that stuff for half of what you get for a normal loaf!) Then she enjoys the Betty Crocker GF brownie & cake mixes.

When we go out she seems to like BJ's gf pizza. Other than that she doesn't get anything gf she just orders regular food that doesn't have gluten.

rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 05-09-2014, 02:09 AM

I cut out gluten, nuts and dairy for several months this winter thinking that might be the cause of some stomach issues. I've since re-introduced gluten and nuts and have found that eating mostly "clean" (few processed foods, not a lot of fat or sugar) has made me feel better than being gluten-free did.
Once I committed to it, I didn't find it hard to maintain, and I was able to find acceptable replacements for most of the foods I missed. I did a lot of cooking and baking myself rather than buying processed foods, but I did find myself spending a bit more on food. Buying flours and stuff like that in bulk helped.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 05-09-2014, 05:34 AM

My husband has celiac disease so he eats gluten free (I don't). When he was first diagnosed we were buying a bunch of special gluten-free items, and yes it drastically increased our grocery bill. For example a small loaf of gluten free bread is around $6! However, gradually we learned that it was a lot easier and cheaper to buy foods that are naturally gluten free. We still buy gluten free pasta and Bisquick mix. For the most part DH does without bread as he hasn't liked any of the GF breads we've tried. We will occasionally buy a loaf so he can have a PBJ sandwich, which is one thing he evidently really misses.
I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

Old 05-09-2014, 05:41 PM

Yes, I am gluten free, and I changed my diet to eliminate my psoriasis.

In 2007 I went on Atkins for weight loss, and magically my psoriasis went away. In the summer of 2008 my mother had a stroke and my diet when out the window. My psoriasis came roaring back with a vengeance, but I put it down to stress. In December of 2010 I went back on hard core Atkins and my skin magically cleared up. Now I'm completely gluten free and my skin looks great.

Also, for over 30 years my SIL had terrible migraines that were running her life. About 5 months ago she went gluten free and has not had one migraine since then.

And yes my grocery bill is larger.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

3leggedtable
Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 PM

Is the Atkins diet gluten free? If so, I'm game. I've gained weight on Meds and gluten free foods have the same or more calories.

kidsrterrific

Ms. J
Old 05-09-2014, 07:05 PM

I also use wheat-free hair products. Wheat also absorbs through the skin.

3leggedtable

Old 05-10-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Is the Atkins diet gluten free? If so, I'm game. I've gained weight on Meds and gluten free foods have the same or more calories.
The original Atkins is grain free, stay away from purchased Atkins products. You can buy a used copy of the original 1972 Atkins book on Amazon.

Good luck.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

tmkteacher

hair products
Old 05-10-2014, 03:59 PM

kidsrterrific,
What hair products are you using? I could use some alternatives?
Thanks!
tmkteacher is offline   Reply With Quote