r9miles

anybody else gluten free
Old 09-24-2014, 03:42 PM

Do you find it super difficult? sometimes it is so darn depressing

r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Mostly
Old 09-24-2014, 03:50 PM

I do have bread or pasta occasionally. Had a little pasta tonight. I just can't go completely gluten free.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

crayonbox

Old 09-24-2014, 04:12 PM

I was put on a gluten free diet almost 30 days ago. It is hard - but getting easier. I am trying to learn all the different names for wheat products. That is the hardest part. All advice is welcomed.
crayonbox is offline   Reply With Quote

76lake

Old 09-24-2014, 05:14 PM

I was allergy tested about a month ago. I knew I had severe allergies, so the doctor had additional food allergy testing done. Turns out I have severe allergies to both wheat and corn, among other thngs. Not eating wheat has been horrible! I'm being forced to go on a diet by forgoing my favorite foods!
76lake is offline   Reply With Quote

Pinemeadow

I'm not but niece is
Old 09-24-2014, 05:15 PM

I'm not gluten free but my niece has to be because of celiac, so I am always on the lookout for good recipes and products. Today, I saw a gluten free bread recipe on a site I like to look at occasionally that has great recipes. It is called Mennonite Girls Can Cook. Here is the link:
http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/

Scroll down a bit to see the bread recipe, as it was posted a couple of days ago. They have featured other gluten free recipes before, too, that are tried and true.

Also, if you have an Aldi's near you, in this week's ad they have featured a bunch of gluten free products that they are now going to stock daily. I know prices for g-free items can be high and maybe you can find some things you like for a little bit less there.

Pinemeadow is online now   Reply With Quote

DRV

Mourn the food
Old 09-24-2014, 05:16 PM

I have celiac, diagnosed several years ago after a lifetime of stomach pain, and I remember when I first had to give up gluten. It is a hard transition, and you have to allow yourself time to mourn the foods you will no longer eat, and the restaurants you will no longer go to. I love to cook and bake, though, so I make most of my own food. I do not buy pre packaged gluten free convenience foods, as they are expensive and not always very good. Eat foods that are naturally gluten free and your body will adjust. I feel great now and NEVER cheat because I remember how sick I was. Here's a tip- 100 percent corn tortillas make great wraps for turkey sandwiches, almond butter sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers, etc. Just warm and double them up.
DRV is offline   Reply With Quote

ritabook2

gluten free
Old 09-24-2014, 05:20 PM

My friend has celiac disease, so she can't have any gluten ever. She eats pretty well anyway and had a pretty good knowledge about food, nutrients, etc. but she said it was really hard at first. The thing she misses the most is pizza and sandwiches. She says it's not even the sandwich so much as the ease of just throwing stuff on bread and eating it! She was diagnosed over 10 years ago and back then it was much more difficult to find gluten alternatives. She had to research on the internet to find the hidden ingredients that contain gluten because products weren't marked gluten free like they are now. She had to buy a lot of her things at health food stores because they weren't available at regular grocery stores like they are now too. We were talking about it the other day and she told me she's actually glad because it forced her to really learn about it herself and essentially be her own advocate. She also learned to eat alternatives to bread on her own and got used to it, rather than substituting so much with the gluten free products that are everywhere now. Now she would much rather have a lettuce wrap than any kind of gluten free bread. She doesn't miss it much anymore, and she now can make her own pizza crust that tastes just as good!
ritabook2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmkteacher

Old 09-24-2014, 08:05 PM

I have celiac, so I have no choice but to avoid gluten. If there is any cross contamination, I am horrible sick for a long time. I discovered many issues I had were related to my celiac, so in many ways I feel so much better. If you feel as though you may have celiac, work with your doctor to do the biopsy. The blood test isn't as accurate as it needs to be. I tested negative 3 times, but was diagnosed with the biopsy.
There are many restaurants/foods I must avoid, but I would rather deal with the disappointment than being sick. There are a couple gluten free items I purchase, mainly to make my life easier, but I tend to avoid those as well. Some are ok and all are expensive. I do miss fried chicken and yes I do have an occasional pity party about it, but then I remember how sick it makes me and I get over it. There is a local pizza place that has a separate kitchen to prepare gluten free pizza, so I do get my pizza fix.
tmkteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bookhound

Gf
Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 PM

It has gotten better during the last 3 yrs. I try to eat clean and sometimes eat the packaged stuff even though it is expensive. The packaged food is more often not as good. The sweets are usually filled with sugar and do not have as much fiber in them. Fiber is often lacking in the packaged breads as well. It has been a big adjustment, but at least I don't get sick. I do bake to make everyone happy.
I guess that I am somewhat spoiled since I became gf at a time when people understand more or less what it is and will be accommodating in many restaurants. There is more and more available in regular grocery stores as time goes by.
I do, however, get frustrated when I go out to a restaurant and when I mention gluten free to the server and they say, "What's that?".....Also, when I go to someone's home for dinner or to a special celebration meal and there are no gf choices.... or the gluten free alternative at a wedding consists of a broiled piece of meat with no seasoning accompanied by something else equally bland.... no effort having been made to make it interesting.
After venting, on a positive note, I no longer miss sampling the bread basket placed on a table...or regular pizza which in the past was my #1love before I became gf....That transition in itself is a miracle.
bookhound is offline   Reply With Quote