Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Non-sulfate shampoo. Let's talk.

>

GraceKrispy

Non-sulfate shampoo. Let's talk.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:02 PM

I know the curly girl method (I think Miller gave me that info, and others have shared it on PT before) looks for shampoo with no sulfates. Should be making your hair better and all that. Well, I realized my shampoo had sulfates in it, got myself some shampoo without sulfates... and my hair is nasty! What have I done wrong??

Here's the scene: thick, naturally somewhat dry (but not quite coarse) hair that has considerable wave/big curls (not tight curls, but not just wavy either- think 70s perm ). My hair is on the shorter side currently, after having been long forever. it's just around shoulder length, so I straighten it because I look like a clown or crazy hair lady when I leave it to its own devices. I wash it twice a week.

So I used this no-sulfate shampoo & (separate) conditioner about 3 weeks worth (6 times) and I do not like what it does to my hair It feels heavier, thicker, and duller. It doesn't have any shine, it feels not quite greasy, but not "clean" and filmy I just don't like it. I'm using this. I see it has great and terrible reviews. I hadn't read any of this before, I just picked it up at the store one day. For now, I'm going back to my usual shampoo/conditioner

Are all non-sulfate shampoos like this? Am I doing something wrong?

eta: my hair looks a lot like this (but brownish/auburn) when I don't straighten it. It looks more wavy and less curly when it's longer (pulls it down).

Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-04-2014, 08:16 PM

Have you tried curly girl with no shampoo at all, just conditioner? I use the herbal essences conditioner only and it's great. My curls stay in but don't get frizzy or crazy. I've never tried the no-sulphate shampoo.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 11-04-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Have you tried curly girl with no shampoo at all, just conditioner?
That is what I do, just wash with conditioner and have been doing it for years now.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 11-04-2014, 08:50 PM

I love the retro picture. Amazing!
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 11-05-2014, 03:00 AM

Those you that wash with just conditioner…..do you use product in your hair?

Grace: I really like the Live Clean brand a shampoos with no sulphates. I got mine at Target. I know exactly what you mean by the heavy feeling that some can give you.

CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

anngirl

Old 11-05-2014, 05:20 AM

Make sure that if you go sulfate free, you also ditch anything with ingredients ending in -cone.

You have to have sulfate shampoo to wash out the silicone. If you don't, it builds up and makes your hair dull and nasty. Check your conditioner, gel, mousse, etc. you can google to find lists of acceptable sulfate/silicone free products. Here's one http://makeupandbeauty.com/list-sulf...ling-products/

I now use TreSemme Naturals and a delicious natural gel from Target- Kinky Curly Curling Custard.
anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 11-05-2014, 05:22 AM

I, too, just use conditioner for washing my hair. It doesn't strip the tiny bit of moisture that my hair naturally has. When I shampoo, it leaves it frizzier. I also use products in my hair (mousse and hair spray) The more often I use products, the more often I have to wash otherwise it weighs it down too much and looks drab.
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-05-2014, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the advice! I haven't tried just conditioner, I'm a little afraid to for some reason (won't feel clean?) but sounds like it's definitely a good option. Anngirl- I didn't realize about the -cone stuff- I'm guessing the product I use on my hair has some silicone or whatnot in it. Catlove- I'll look for that line! I was so bummed that my hair was feeling so gross.

I washed my hair last night with my old Herbal Essences and it looks - and feels- so much better now I use Neutrogena clarifying shampoo every so often as well, to get rid of any buildup. It has no ingredients list on the bottle. I have to figure out what's in it.

(kermit- dh actually thinks my hair looks fine when it's that retro looking ball of curl, but I can't stand it. I am fascinated by how nicely the curls lay together so neatly, like a puzzle of curls )

Miller

Old 11-05-2014, 02:48 PM

I ditto everything anngirl said.

I also use TreSemme Naturals and the Kinky Curly Custard. I also use Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner. Maybe once a week or once every 5 days I'll use Yes To Carrots shampoo...on roots ONLY. Do not put shampoo on your hair. Conditioner for hair, shampoo for roots.

To spruce up my hair on 2nd day I use Shea Moisture Kids detangler spray. On day 3 I put it half back. Day 4 is aponytail or I just wash it and start over.

My mousse is either Pantene Curls, or Herbal Essence Totally Twisted...it's actually the exact same ingredients, different smell.

-one, -ane are silicones. It's going to take a month or so for your hair to adjust to no sulfates or silicones. Your hair will look flat and gross until you get all the junk out of it. Don't use a clairifying, it's stripping your hair more. REsearch ACV rinse (apple cider vinegar) and see if it's right for you.

BTW, the Renpure has silicone in it.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Hifiman
Old 11-05-2014, 04:19 PM
This message has been deleted by Hifiman.

Ima Spedtcher

Old 11-05-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Those you that wash with just conditioner…..do you use product in your hair?
I use conditioner as product, I leave in a ton of it and it defines and holds my curls. I think it only works for really kinky curly hair though. I follow this method for my hair.

Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Winn-Dixie

Old 11-05-2014, 07:49 PM

I don't have curly hair. But use sulfate free shampoo. I'm not a fan. I don't ever feel clean. I don't like using it, but I know it's better. It makes my color last longer!
Winn-Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote

tmkteacher

Rennpure
Old 11-05-2014, 08:15 PM

I started using Rennpure as well, because it is Gluten free. My hair has never looked worse. It is so dry and the breakage is awful. I need to use GF products, but I am at a loss.
tmkteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 11-06-2014, 03:15 PM

yes, the key to using products in your hair is to use products without silicones and alcohol.

The silicones don't come out with conditioner only. That's why sulfate shampoos are necessary.

Don't use silicones in your hair, then you can wash with conditioner!
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Got it- no silicones. No wonder that renpure stuff was so horrid! I hope dh likes it

MAsped

Old 11-07-2014, 07:46 AM

Did anyone mention WEN products here yet? If not, I'm surprised since they've been popular for a while now.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote