Help

Fifth Grade

Bulletin Boards that Pop!

>

boysmom

Bulletin Boards that Pop!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am tired of the standard bulletin boards with paper and a border around it. Let's share some ideas. What have you used to make a bulletin board unique and eye-catching?

Some things I have used for a border are:
covers of books(works especially nice in a reading corner)
Rope lights look great(as long as your fire marshall won't check on you)
toulle(sp?) looks good, but again look out for the fire marshal

katfish12

Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I covered all my boards with black felt (doesn't fade) and then used neon letters and border. I had lots of compliments and the kids were attracted to it..hopefully not distracted by it. I have also used wide ribbon as a border. I used a solid color ribbon and overlayed a polkdot ribbon on top.

Inspire

I have...
Old 07-13-2011, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

stapled the top of a bulletin board display and then pushed it up from the bottom and staple it so it "pops" and looks 3-D.

I have used as borders:

bookmarks
postcards of places for a bulletin board saying "What did you do on summer vacation?"
tickets (giving students the corresponding ticket and call a "winner" each day of the new school year for a prize or first in line etc....

timeforbed

Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My favorite bulletin board is....

I put up black fadeless paper. I then graffiti write all the kids names in bright puff paint all over it, along with doodles of kids, trees, books, mountains, dots, hearts, etc. It's tactile and colorful. And I have a fun time doing it.

I make the names all different ways, sometimes cursive, sometimes bubble, etc. Tall, short, fat, squiggly.

I leave it up all year and put their work over it.

This year, just to change it up a bit, I'm going to push all the names and doodles to the edges and leave the middle for drawing a large electric guitar. Then I'm going to write "We're Going to Rock Fourth Grade". (I got the idea when I was singing along to this song.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNpRYfOo_fY

We also do a Spirit Day at our school where all the grade levels pick a song and have the kids learn a dance routine to it. I may want this song. (You should see the kindergarten kids dance to Thriller!)

red_head

Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have seen for a 3D effect also is:
instead of stapling the letters to the board....use pins (sewing) and slide the letter to the head of the pin. I hope that makes sense. It looks really great!

char123

Old 07-14-2011, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have used plastic tablecloths instead of paper. There are so many colorful ones to choose from. I just purchased a tropical themed tablecloth from Target really cheap. I plan to use these to make not only the board pop, but the room as well.

Century46

Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use wallpaper. I bought some for a dining room a few years ago and then changed my mind and put it up at school. It is easy, gorgeous and lasts forever.

I also have a huge wall that I have put up a thick ribbon as a timeline of our year. I made labels with the various themes we will have this year and as the year goes on, it will become a scrapbook with student's work from each theme. I loop and this goes on for the entire two years. It is a great place for reflection. I include coves of books we have read together. Then, on the last day of the year, we dismantle the board (after the kids write new letters to my new kiddos using the board for ideas). The kids love getting their work back to take home with their portfolios.

I also have a large board outside of the room that I let the kids take care of. We divide it, with ribbon into boxes for each student. They are then responsible for decorating it with their work all year. They make name labels on day one and the title on top reads "Look at What We Can Do" and it include pockets for people to put comments about work. They love seeing the comments that others write about their work (at first, other teachers do this, but it is not long before kids are commenting one another's work).

jebrab

Material!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use material that I buy on clearance at JoAnn's fabrics- plus using your teacher reward card, you can get another 15% off!

This year I bought tye dyed batiks with white butterflies. I am going to use black lettering and borders. The material lasts forever and is easy to put up and take down to store! Totally green! No more wasted paper! And, it fits without seams on the bulletin board! I hate the paper seams!

I love the idea of making the bulletin board pop in 3-D! I am going to try that!

TeacherCarrie

Old 07-14-2011, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

A male teacher friend of mine uses baseball cards for his borders.

LoriVincent

Popular Bulletin Board...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

...using the stick-on Make Anything Into a White Board(from Home Depot) paper as the background and allowing students to write quotes, positive messages and sayings, and drawings to decorate this class-owned display

boysmom

other ideas
Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have used flashcards as a border around a math board. The cute kids paper plates that are in the shape of animals make a good border. Old cd's are a pretty cool border too.

WonderWhy

Hobby Lobby letters
Old 07-14-2011, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I just bought a bunch of cardboard letters at Hobby Lobby - they are 50% off. I am going to put those on bulletin boards for a 3-d effect. I painted my bulletin boards last year and LOVED that! This year I am in a new room with new bulletin boards so there will be no painting, so I will use fabric.

krichau

I was
Old 07-14-2011, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Going to say the same thing about the 3D effect using pins rather than staples. I also use material as a background.

mr.pateach

I'm thinking
Old 07-17-2011, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

of using leaf garland & leaves as a border. Our theme is the rainforest. I bought a ton of it for 40 cents each, 6 feet long from Michaels...I think.

I also have fabric as my background. It's been up for 3 years and still looks fresh. If you try, the only tips I can give is get fabric with a stretch & fabric on sale/clearance.

I'm going to try to use the pin idea, sounds interesting. But I was thinking more of push pins & glue the letters to the head

boysmom

Scrapbooking paper
Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Scrapbooking paper works well for borders too.

squared

Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

When I had a sports theme, I used astro turf (indoor outdoor carpet) for the background on my boards.

I am doing a beach/ tropical theme this year and am thinking about using some sandpaper.

I have also used "scene setters" from party stores.

boysmom

another idea
Old 07-19-2011, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have also put up background paper in different ways. I sometimes put it at a slant or overlap two different colors. That looks different too. I used baseball hats as a border too, looked really cute!
cbluitt

cbluitt

Spongebob - Help
Old 07-22-2011, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I realized that I am also using the beach/tropical theme this year and I need your help. I am unable to come up with saying for my math, science, and language arts board using this theme. Do you have any ideas?

boysmom

Sponge Bob
Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Sponge Bob Squared Pants??

Sponge Bob Science Pants

cbluitt

Old 07-23-2011, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Thanks a bunch, these are great ideas!