Help

ARCHIVE

Rigby Literacy

>

teach4evr

Rigby Literacy
Old 07-31-2007, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year our school bought the Rigby reading program. Has anyone used it? It is very overwhelming and I am not sure I like its layout. For example, it introduces "r" controlled vowels at the very beginning. In our old Basal (scholastic) "r" controlled vowels were not introduced until way after January.

The only plus is it comes with guided reading books that are level with lessons. So has anyone used the program and what has worked for you?

Thanks!

kyteacher1

Overall it is pretty good
Old 07-31-2007, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The guided reading component is very good. My students always seem to really enjoy the books and the teacher's edition tells you explicitly what to do for each lesson. Now, the shared reading component could be better. I've been to Rigby's training twice and without a doubt everyone agrees that it is impossible to spend 10 days on only 1 book. After about 2 or 3 days the kids are sick of the book so I try to teach the most important points first time around and then beginning in January or Feburary I go back and revisit the big books and focus on different strategies. Just like in your example-- I do not introduce r controlled vowels at the beginning - I focus on the strategy and we talk about rhyming words but when we revisit it later in the year I will do the r controled vowel.
Also, the center's recommendations for each big book are unrealistic in my opinion. Like I think for a few of them they recommend kids do a painting or something at a center - Yeah right! NO!! My kids do not paint in a center that is unsupervised. I do my own center stuff and maybe one center might be a response the big book.
also be prepared to run out of big books - I don't think they have enough for 1st grade. I do a big book a week and even revisiting the books I have to use other big books too.
Let me know if you have any questions.
I've found that if you use one copy of each guided reading book as your "teacher's edition" and put post it notes inside the cover the lesson goes much better than trying to keep that bulky teacher's edition in front of you.

Ilvtching

This year...
Old 07-31-2007, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We will begin using it this year! I am feeling VERY EXTREMELY overwhelmed! It supposedly is an 80% re-write and I am hoping some of the problems that Kyteacher stated have been addressed!

We should start a Rigby support group!

Amy

teach4evr

10 shared reading lessons
Old 07-31-2007, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know what you mean about reading the same big book for 10 days. It was definately overkill. I tried at first to follow the program to a tea. But by the 4th time looking at the big book, the students were not interested. Thanks for the idea of using a student book!

I would love to start a Rigby support group!

I am also kind of bugged their isn't a strong spelling component. It is great with phonemic awareness. I didn't do much with the Rigby writing and used my own program used in the past! I am going to try it this year however!

Jennifer

LGL

Rigby
Old 08-01-2007, 02:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We started using the Rigby Assessments a couple of years ago instead of the DRA reading tests. Everything is recorded on a palm pilot. Then it scores everything for you and it is posted on a secure webpage. It is WONDERFUL. It is such a time saver. The first 6 tests are more difficult than DRA's but once a child gets through those tests, you know that child can really read anything on that level. If you have the Rigby reading program, you really need to check into the assessment end of it too.