Help

ARCHIVE

prep for maternity leave mid-year

>

Mrs. B

prep for maternity leave mid-year
Old 08-05-2007, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am pregnant with my first baby and am due January 10th. I will have a sub coming in the first week of January to take over for me full time. I will probably be out for about 4 months. I have been trying to spend my summer thinking of ways to make the prep work for myself being out easy enough.

I have made lists of the content that I teach during Jan, Feb. March and April. I listed assessments that need to be given. I will have to go through report cards, discipline, etc in person with whoever will be subbing.

For those of you that have been though this....what made it easy for you? My heart honestly isn't in it right now but I want to give my class my all, make sure the sub will be prepared to take over and prepare for being a first time mom. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

ballerina0318

Old 08-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congrats! My first baby was born Jan. 11 (2004) so I understand your situation completely. I came back for one week after winter break but I was really, really, praying to go into labor over Christmas because I was so big and tired! That week back, I don't even know what I did.

Anyway, what worked for me was to get a big tub for each month and put everything in it that the sub would need- read alouds, calendar supplies, resource books for content and seasonal, supplies for the math unit (manuals and copies run ahead), listening center books, spelling lists, just everything I could think of, because I knew she wouldn't know where to look in my room to find things. So, I had a Jan. tub, a Feb. tub, and a March tub.

I made lists of everything- it was probably overwhelming- but I wanted her to know all my procedures, so the kids wouldn't try to use the electric pencil sharpener, etc. I was really worried about it, but honestly, after you have that baby you won't think about your class at all!

I would say try to be as organized as possible. I never got to meet the sub beforehand because I went into labor early, so if you can get an early meeting with him/her, I would recommend it.

Good luck!

lovebug422

Ditto
Old 08-05-2007, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had my second in January and did the tub thing for each month. I pulled all of my files that she *might* want to use and placed them in the individual tubs. I was clear though that she could use the stuff, or come up with her own it was entirely up to her. Then I had a file of *must do's* for curriculum/assessments/etc. Like the pp said, I typed up EVERYTHING (and got made fun of for it ). My long-term asked me if I was going to let her know when *she* could use the restrooms - . In the end, I think it made the transition easier on everyone. I made plans for her first week and then she was on her own. She was so sweet and made plans for my first week back - which was a blessing. Although much of the stuff wasn't what I would have chosen, it was a Godsend.

Ask any specific questions you might think of - I'd be happy to help.

teach4evr

Congratulations!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am due January 17th. I did not plan this one well. My third one was born on field day and it was great!

I am only taking 6 weeks leave when the baby comes. I have been looking for someone to come in for the whole 6 weeks for consistency. I too have wondered how to plan for this. I have thought about crates and having things done according to weeks. The sub I have coming in I think is very organized and I will be in close contact with her. I do not like having to give up my students for that long. Making plans for a sub just for one day is a pain let alone 6 or more weeks.

I also have great colleagues that will help the sub out as well! I think that is going to be the thing that really helps and makes it easier for me!

You will love being a mother. Cherish every moment because they grow up to fast! My oldest is 13 and I get sad at the thought I only have him 5 more years in my home! This baby will be my last! I know I am gong to cherish all the baby moments that I can!

Good luck!

Jen

ambr79

Pg-mid year
Old 08-06-2007, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi, I just had my first child this past October. There were only 3 of us teaching first grade and 2 of us went on maternity leave within 2 weeks of one another!

Fortunately we did a lot of collaborating during July & August. We knew basically what lessons would be missed (in my case, Oct until the return of school after Christmas break) and tried to pull the topics we wanted to stress.

I also talked with my sub before leaving -- which turned out to be a good thing, because my water broke 2 wks early. I provided her with a binder of the general classroom rules/operations & info about the students... maybe allergies or who to watch for behavioral problems. She also was kind enough to sit in my room for a day to observe the class about a week before I left.

To be honest, I basically turned the room over to her. After having my son, I really enjoyed being able to focus on just him. I had planned to meet with the sub every couple of weeks to talk with her/discuss plans, but all of that went out the window as soon as I gave birth! :-)

Maybe you should contact the sub ahead of time & kind of let him/her know what's important to you & what you expect your class to know.

Good Luck & I hope you have a great delivery!
Amber