Help

BusyBoard

What are you using to teach math?

>

de'anna

What are you using to teach math?
Old 05-26-2014, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As we switch to common core math next year, we are frantically looking for something to use for 4th and 5th grade math.

What are you using?
Thanks!

crazy4catz

Old 05-26-2014, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are going to be using engageNY. It is online and anyone can use it. Lots of pages to copy.

EllaKate

Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are switching to EngageNY also.

DoxieTeacher

Old 05-27-2014, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I tried engage this year and wasn't a fan. There's so much to copy and I felt it was swung too far the other direction if that makes sense. I think kids need both skill based and application based instruction.

We are supplementing our envision program. I don't know what it looks like just yet.

anna

Old 05-27-2014, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our district just adopted Go Math as it claims it is Common Core aligned and a "committee voted yes on it."

irises

We use Investigations
Old 05-27-2014, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's by Pearson and has been common core aligned. I think it's great for critical thinking. It is NOT your typical math program. I like it and our kids have been getting better and better scores in the state tests!

Munchkins

Envisions
Old 05-27-2014, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We start it next year- it's supposed to be good, and aligned. We've had EM forever, so it will be interesting to have something that addresses one concept per unit instead of jumping all over the place. Looking forward to it!

Sleddog

Georgia
Old 05-27-2014, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We used the Georgia math units and almost all of our grade 1-3 students met or exceeded the math standard. I think less than 5 kids didn't. Engage NY is a TON of copying and it is scripted which we didn't like. I like the Georgia units. I supplement with single digit math fact instruction.

lv2read

Munchkins
Old 05-27-2014, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My district is using EnVision Math too but I personally found that when I supplemented the lessons with Engage NY, my students did better on the CC assessments. EnVision doesn't have the students explain how they got their answers or writing to explain.

The plus side of EnVision math is that they have leveled work (reteach, practice and enrichment).

Munchkins

Thanks, lv2read!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I appreciate the head's up. I don't think I've ever used a series without supplementing, so it's good to know that going in. Thanks!

de'anna

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for the replies! We had thought we would use EngageNY as well, and then two of our teachers started using it to test it out, and don't really care for it. So we've actually found something on TPT that we're going to start with, and then add supplements in as we need them. We don't know when the district will get around to adopting a new curriculum, so we're on our own until then.

Ren

Focus in Math
Old 05-28-2014, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We are using this starting next year. I'm looking forward to having SOMETHING! It's been a year of scrambling and looking for materials.

looteach13

Investigations
Old 05-28-2014, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Investigations
My building is on Year 3 of Investigations - this is my first year in this building so I feel LOST!!! Investigations is definitely a different way of looking at math.

We have several different math components throughout the day including supplemental math. I have seen teachers using daily review skill sheets from the old math series to supplement their current math at the 3 - 5 grade level.

Keltikmom

Envision
Old 05-28-2014, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Jumps all over the place. Some concepts are glossed over and others are beaten to death. It is boring, confusing, repetitive and needs to be highly supplemented.

It has some useful performance based assessments. But for day to day teaching you can't rely solely on the program.

For example, time is taught in two lessons, ending with "and now you know how to completely tell time." Nope, too two weeks of supplementing.

Graphing is 6 lessons, then the chapter test throws in a performance based question that wasn't taught in the unit.

We are looking for a new program.

CheleOh

Old 06-01-2014, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We were in full CCSS implementation mode this year ... with NO resources until we found them. In ELA and Math.

We used a LOT of Georgia's Math lessons, which were GREAT, but as someone else said, required a LOT of copying. Our district offered to copy it for us, but that required a lot of forward thinking and planning, and when you're trying to figure things out minute-to-minute, that was pretty impossible.

At mid-year, we started "piloting" GO Math. I really like it, except for their online support was confusing and a tad weak. My colleague attended an inservice this past Thursday in which they rolled out their NEW online support, and she said it is AWESOME.

This same colleague is also piloting McMillan-McGraw-Hill. She liked the online materials much better, but noticed that the actual student books (consumable, like the GO materials) did not have the rigor that GO Math has and we expect from CCSS.

So, although a few teachers will continue to pilot MMH (I think), it looks as though we'll be sticking with GO. As our Director of Curriculum stated, it will be a long "engagement" -- we won't "get married" to anything soon.

And, I'm still supplementing with Georgia's materials once in a while. ;-)

Chele :-)