Help

BusyBoard

I'm a sitting-down teacher...

>

SoCalTeach

I'm a sitting-down teacher...
Old 09-26-2018, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I realized that I've become the teacher who doesn't walk around. I'm either sitting at my desk using my computer, or sit in front of the room when we do group work. One of the reasons is our classroom is SUPER small... I have 33-39 students (depending on the class), and there's barely enough room to walk in between the chairs with backpacks on them.

Am I a bad teacher? I know its best practice to circulate around the room as students are working.

Mikhail

problem with space
Old 09-27-2018, 01:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that you're going to get more bang out of your buck if you decided to re-arrange your desk so they're in groups more. If you have the desks in your room in rows, yes there will be problems with space. By the way, teacher's performance is not dependent on classroom size but there's a definite correlation between that and the number of students.

MaineSub

Old 09-27-2018, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have tried. I literally can't sit down! That you do, doesn't make you bad, it makes you different. Since it sounds like you'd like to circulate more, I'd suggest figuring out some alternatives as Mikhail has suggested. It might even make sense to ask the class to help with it... can we put all the backpacks in one corner?

I've taught in some tight rooms and it is a challenge. In some cases, I've created spaces I can get to that at least get me closer to groups of students (even if they aren't sitting together) and encourage them to "meet me." When doing group work, I sometimes allow a group or two to work in the hall just outside the door. (It's allowed and I do check on them regularly.)

There is a good aspect to your situation--the kids must (at least we hope) work independently and not be dependent on you... I'm thinking it may be working better than you think. "Proximity" classroom management is about more than where you are physically located. If the kids know you're involved and available... that's what counts the most!

desert flower

Old 09-29-2018, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Nope, I'm in the same situation and do exactly the same thing. My scores are on par with everyone elses. Ideas like Best Practices come and go. Do what's comfortable for you.

Song of Joy

Old 09-30-2018, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have severe hip pain that comes and goes. On good days I circulate. On bad days, I sit on a stool in the front of the room and kids come to me or I sit at the reading table at the back of the room. Every year I teach, I become a stronger and more effective educator and know with certainty that my students are learning deeply despite my sitting.

People with physical limitations need the accommodation of sitting when necessary.

r9miles

Sorry
Old 10-10-2018, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Best Practices do not come and go. If you research evidence-based best practice versus "the practice you're best at".

Renea

Old 10-10-2018, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I have severe hip pain that comes and goes. On good days I circulate. On bad days, I sit on a stool in the front of the room and kids come to me or I sit at the reading table at the back of the room.
When the theory that teachers must be up on their feet and roaming the room emerged I saw older teachers penalized due to their physical limitations. Because these teachers had spent 25 - 35 years on their feet they had weak knees, hips or bad feet that prevented them from standing most of the day. They weren't bad teachers, they were veterans who knew what they were doing and could teach and disregard their limitations. I felt much empathy for those talented teachers who were downgraded their physical limitations.