Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Prince Edward Island

>

SassyTeach

Prince Edward Island
Old 02-16-2019, 06:53 PM

Does anyone have any advice as to where to stay on Prince Edward Island? DH and I are going to be there for about 10 days, and I'd like to split the time in two different areas, 3 at the most.

Any ideas on what areas we should stay?

Thanks so much!

SassyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

benteach

Three places
Old 02-16-2019, 07:35 PM

Many years ago DH and I were there on our honeymoon - stayed at a bed & breakfast near the coast, Charlottetown (with the musical Anne of Green Gables) and Cavendish where Lucy Maud Montgomery's house is in the park - it was through PEI tourism - have you googled this or contact PEI tourism directly?
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

I have
Old 02-16-2019, 08:53 PM

I'm just trying to get a sense of the best 2-3 places to stay, so we can see all of the island without having to drive a lot in one day. I'm not sure why I'm so worried about that, though, because we went to Newfoundland last year where we ended up driving over 3500 miles.. PEI is tiny compared to Newfoundland!

travelingfar

Pei
Old 02-17-2019, 02:44 AM

I have no advice about where to stay because I was there 25 years ago and don't remember our lodgings. There are lots of charming bed and breakfasts, however. You are going to love PEI. It is a peaceful, beautiful place.

Last edited by travelingfar; 02-17-2019 at 01:22 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

akb31

Old 02-17-2019, 04:43 AM

PEI is such a little Island that you could stay in one location and see the whole island with nothing being more than a 90 minute drive away!

akb31 is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 02-17-2019, 06:19 AM

I stayed in 3 different locations during my visit. One was near St Peter’s Bay-the Park with the dunes was amazing. Another was in Kensington-booked the Victorian Inn there, and a 3rd was not too far from Charlottetown, but out in the country. Go to the gift shop and restaurant called the Dune. One of the best dinners I’ve ever had. We biked some. Bring mosquito repellent. The Arcadian museum is interesting. Anne, the musical is worth seeing, but Cavendish was too commercial. We tried to drive the entire coastline, but didn’t quite achieve that. The PEI tourism board is the best! Check out their website.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

No, but...
Old 02-17-2019, 08:15 AM

I can't help because I've never been, but I was (am) a huge Anne of Green Gables fan and always wanted to visit. I hope you will share your experience so I can live vicariously through your adventure. Have a great trip!
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-17-2019, 08:52 AM

I went years ago when I was 6 months pregnant, but it was via a cruise ship. I have no advice on lodging, but wanted to wish you an amazing trip. Anne was my lifeline/heroine as a kid and going to PEI was a bucket list item I checked off in my 20s!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 02-17-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
we went to Newfoundland last year where we ended up driving over 3500 miles
I grew up in Newfoundland. You want to see everything, there’s ton of driving involved. PEI is easy to drive. You can definitely stay in one spot and easily travel wherever you want to go. I haven’t been in several years so I have no soecific recommendations but there are lovely hotels or bed & breakfasts if you prefer. Enjoy your trip!
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2read10

Tell us about it.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:26 AM

Please post about the trip after you get back. The eastern part of Canada is on my bucket list.

teach2read10 is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:55 AM

I appreciate all the kind words and ideas!

I think we're going to stay in Summerside and Charlottetown and maybe one other place (North Rustico?). As of now that's what we have planned, but that could change in the next week or so as we get our reservations narrowed down.

Thank you!

ily

Old 02-17-2019, 03:08 PM

There really isn't much in Summerside, maybe go a little outside or it like Kensington or North Rustico, they are close to Cavendish where all the Anne house is. St. Peters Bay or Murray River/ Montague area if you want to stay down east. You could stay at just two places and easily drive anywhere you want to go. PEI is beautiful in the summer ( I assume that is when you are going) We camp so no real suggestions on actual places to stay.
ily is offline   Reply With Quote

CZMOM

Old 02-17-2019, 07:21 PM

We were there about 4 years ago. We stayed at a bed and breakfast in Charlottetown. We had a great time. We ate at some very nice restaurants in town. I don't recall the names of the bed and breakfast where we stayed but there are many of them. We took a bus tour to Anne of Green Gables home and the tour made many stops around the Island. It was very informative and our driver was quite entertaining. PEI was just as described in the books. The locals were very welcoming and so much fun.
CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

CLHS

Pei
Old 02-18-2019, 02:42 PM

My family and I spend a week in PEI every summer and have done so for the last 7 years. Itís my absolute favorite place to visit. Weíve stayed all over the island and itís very easy to travel. For a central location, New Glasgow is lovely (visit the PEI Preserve Co.) and itís a little outside of Cavendish (which is a great spot to visit, but itís where all the tourists land!). Charlottetown is a must! Theatre and delicious food (make sure you get Cows Ice Cream). We stayed in the cutest little town a few years ago called Victoria-by-the-Sea and I would highly recommend checking it out. The west coast is much more rural, but if you want peace and quiet, itís the place to go. The Murray Harbour area allows you to focus on the eastern side of the island if you want to explore there.
Feel free to ask any questions!
CLHS is offline   Reply With Quote