Help

ARCHIVE

getting a student teacher

>

annek

getting a student teacher
Old 04-14-2008, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I found out that I will be getting a student teacher next year in the fall. I still consider myself a "new" teacher as next year will only be my fifth year. Does anyone have suggestions about what I can do now to help get things ready for next year for her? I haven't talked to her yet. Also I will have an inclusion classroom next year so I'm nervous about that as well. What have you done to prepare your room, yourself, and your student teacher?
Thanks!

teach4evr

Good Luck
Old 04-14-2008, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had one when I was just in my 4th year of teaching. I just had to keep reminding myself how I felt as a student teacher which wasn't that long ago. What would have helped me be better prepared for my own room? I made copies of everything we did for her so she would have her own start up collection and lesson plans. Good luck and have fun!

sheltieinks

Welcome gift
Old 04-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I gave my student teacher a welcome basket full of school supplies and our school's spirit day shirt. I also made a notebook which had letters from my students to her, lesson plans, school procedures, schedule, and names of staff members. Something that helped, is that I made a schedule for her to follow so she would know what she was expected to teach each week.

missibrown

Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi,

I'm a student teacher this semester... make sure you tell her everything! Give her a copy of the schedule and let her look through the kids folders so she can get to know the students. Also, give her some freedom and make sure she's running the class by herself at least halfway through. My teachers didn't do this for me, but it might be nice to have your students write her a letter welcoming her and telling her about themselves. GOOD LUCK!

mmnj

student teacher
Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had a ST last year...my 7th year. My suggestion is to, of course, be welcoming but don't be too friendly too quick. I talked to my student teacher several times over the summer and she seemed nice enough. In the classroom, it was a different story...she was a disaster! I had a hard time laying down expectations and giving her negative feedback because she thought we were buddy-buddy. Things My ST was much older than I am and had a hard time respecting me. SO....be explicit with your instructions and expectations, give lots of encouragement and praise, but lay down the law as well...it's still your classroom. Good luck.

justeducator

Student Teacher
Old 04-26-2008, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I was ST my Mentor was the best!!! She had a very hard time at first sharing her classroom but once she got to know me it got easier. She was very helpful and was always positive. Good Luck!