Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

psychiatrist question

>

mom23kids

psychiatrist question
Old 03-12-2022, 09:32 AM

Do you remember last week I told you about my dd 23? Or did I? My life is so difficult now, I don't remember what I did an hour ago. She sees a therapist weekly and needs medication because she's depressed and full of anxiety. Yesterday we went to psychiatrist rec by her therapist. Not in our plan so I paid out of pocket but I am okay with that. Anyway, I did like him. She liked him. I went in with her because she said it was okay and I'm glad because she always leaves stuff out. Next time she'll be on her own. This is my question. Do psychiatrists talk about what the problem is or do they just ask about how you're feeling and what your ups and downs are like? This guy didn't ask about whats goinng on in her life. He only wanted to know how she feels. He knows she sees a therapist and actually asked for her number. He said he will speak to her too. Is this the way a psychiatrist works?

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Yes
Old 03-12-2022, 10:06 AM

I lack personal experience, but my understanding is that most psychiatrists basically fill the role of managing drugs and treatments for mental health issues. The therapist (who may be a psychologist or social worker, etc.) is the one who talks with the individual about what is going on and discusses how they might manage their issues.

Definitely a good sign that the psychiatrist plans to coordinate with the therapist. They need to know whether prescribed meds are working.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

eeza

psychiatrist
Old 03-12-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Do psychiatrists talk about what the problem is or do they just ask about how you're feeling and what your ups and downs are like?
The first time I saw my psychiatrist, he got a general sense of what was going on, but after that it was all about the meds. My therapist was the one who dug deep into my feelings and such. I hope that helps!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 03-12-2022, 12:16 PM

Thank you Eeza and TAOEP! That makes me feel much better. Exactly what I wanted to know.

kidsrterrific

Mom23kids
Old 03-12-2022, 01:22 PM

Hi! My psychiatrist and I talk about the issues that are going on in my life. At the end we discuss meds (which I have worked off). I saw her for anxiety (very real with my P at school for 8 years before I retired early), loss of family, and then depression because of that loss within a short time. The last few years it has been more of a check in plus she has helped with other medical issues my regular intern missed such as low iron and low vitamin D.

My guess is that DD ‘s psychiatrist did not discuss her life just because this is what her regular therapist would be doing during their sessions - Especially since he plans on coordinating with her therapist. Remember this was also her first session. Since dad is also on meds her ups and downs would be exactly would he would be should be going over.

I hope that dad is adjusting to her Lexapro well.

You sure have an enormous plate full right now. Just know from someone who WAS in a VERY dark place, IT WILL get better. (Can’t find the picture for hug that everyone uses, so HUG)

kidsrterrific is online now   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 03-12-2022, 01:36 PM

Thank you Kidsrterrific.. I appreciate your input and sharing your own personal experience. Yes, lots going on here.. dh surgery is Tuesday he went for pre op thurs and its not close to us. Then he had to go back Fri cause they didn't take enough blood It's never ending here right now. But I know things will get better. Thank you