Help

The VENT

Changes

>

ICrazyTeach

Changes
Old 03-15-2022, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This isn't the board I would normally post this on, but it's the one I can get to. And I guess it is a vent. We were told the plan for next year's teaching assignments. It's a change from what I have been teaching (we're changing our whole structure). And there is an opening for my 1st choice, but they're getting a transfer or new hire instead. It also will likely mean a classroom change. Like moving from the best room in the building that I have had for 20 years to the crappiest one that shouldn't even be a classroom. I thought I was OK with it. The tears that came out of nowhere while laying in bed tell me I'm not.
I don't know if it is the intended message, but it makes me feel unvalued and unwanted. I've spent 23 years at this school and now I'm wondering if it's time to move on. I can't imagine going through interviews at this point in my career. And I probably won't. I will suck it up and deal with it. I'm having quite the pity party for myself at the moment.

Ima Teacher

Old 03-15-2022, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That stinks! Maybe things will change.

123rabbit

Change
Old 03-15-2022, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hopefully things will change and you will get to stay where you want. Maybe some staff will move or want to change grade levels.

kahluablast

Old 03-16-2022, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That does suck.

Can you ask to not have to move?

KetchupChips

Speak up
Old 03-16-2022, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

An incoming transferred member or new hire would get last choice for anything. At least that is how it works anywhere I've been. When I transferred to my present school, I was in an old portable with no AC. It had been used for special ed and therefore didn't even have regular classroom supplies. But I made it work and actually came to love being way out there.

Can you bring your concerns to your Principal? Having worked there so long, you are a valued teacher with a good reputation. It's time to speak up for yourself. Believe me, plenty of people do that. Have a heart to heart. Your principal isn't thinking through all the details that would affect each person if they made a change. They are looking at the big picture. You'll at least know that you've tried everything before making a decision to transfer. With covid, transferring now is complicated. Every school is doing their best but who knows how things really are. I transferred, pre-covid, and it was the best thing I did. But YMMV.

Thinking back, teachers have asked to remain in their rooms in spite of a change of assignment. I've done it, and it was no big deal. And a teacher asking for a different assignment doesn't have to go through the interview process. You're a known entity, and you're already on staff.

Your tears are a message. Heed the message but take time to calmly figure out your next steps. Wishing you the best!

Angelo

Old 03-16-2022, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

“And there is an opening for my 1st choice, but they're getting a transfer or new hire instead.”

Just wait until it turns out the new hire or transfer is an old friend of the principal’s or the niece of the superintendent.

Not sure if this is your principal’s attitude, but I’ve witnessed a lot of cases where they hold out on someone’s preferred assignment and make the existing staff member suck it up in their third or fourth choice because they take the existing staff member for granted and think having a “plum assignment” on offer will attract better candidates and will be less likely to get them stuck with an idiot who will need endless oversight, coaching, and handholding. A principal who cares more about themself than their staff is always going to stuff someone in a harder-to-fill assignment and save the attractive posting in the hope they will get a “bidding war” for the job among high-performing candidates. However, they will almost always rationalize this by claiming they “have to do what’s best for the school.”

I’ve also seen cases where principals come in and want to gradually overhaul the staff by poaching their buddies from other schools and can only coax the people to move schools by dangling attractive grade assignments.

I had a friend who taught Spanish and Theater. She wanted to move exclusively into Theater and was awesome at it but kept getting slotted back into a Spanish timetable because the P knew there would always be a ton of applications by qualified Theater teachers whereas you are lucky to get one or two applications for a Spanish opening and may get stuck with the one dolt who just graduated, has no teaching experience, and whose only attractive quality is that he speaks and can (in theory) teach Spanish. They ended up losing my friend in the end (she teaches acting and elocution at the university level now) in their short-sightedness.

Principals don’t always appreciate the cost (in morale, buy-in, etc.) when they treat staffing like a jigsaw puzzle rather than as a collegial exercise involving living, breathing, feeling human beings who realize that the easiest solution (on paper) that creates the least work for admin isn’t automatically the best option. They sometimes need to be reminded that a bird in the hand really is worth two in the bush.

FLSun

Agree!
Old 03-16-2022, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with Ketchup. You need to speak up! If you have to move classrooms AND subjects, then it’s not MUCH worse to just change buildings (in terms of the work involved in getting set up). Once you are out of the room it will be too late. Maybe hint around at this (a veiled threat of looking elsewhere)? Schools don’t want to lose teachers right now, especially good ones. They are assuming you simply won’t leave after so long. My last classroom was HORRIBLE and it made all the difference. I ended up leaving to the asynchronous building, and couldn’t get away fast enough. There were other factors, but your daily environment matters and the best room shouldn’t be used as a recruitment tool.

2teach2

Old 03-16-2022, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Check your contract. There should be language about moving grades and classrooms. And definitely speak with your principal. If there are a lot of changes, you are probably not the only one who is not happy with what is coming up.

readerleader

Old 03-19-2022, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with 2teach2. Hopefully you have a union and are a member. Principals have broad powers when it comes to placing teachers, but your contract probably has some rules that work in your favor.

At the very least, I would have a discussion. Approach it from "I'm trying to understand" perspective. Try not to show anger or get upset. That can be very hard when you feel you are being treated unfairly.
She may have valid reasons (doubtful, but you never know). In my experience, when principals make drastic changes, it is an attempt to get people to move on. I hope that's not the case.

broomrider

It might be time
Old 03-19-2022, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

to ask your principal for an updated letter of recommendation. You can explain that you may well be able to get your preferred assignment in another setting, even though you will be extremely sorry to have to leave your home to get it.

I expect just asking for a letter will trigger a conversation about why you might be considering some sort of change. That can lead into your disappointment at having your request for your preferred assignment being disregarded after such long and loyal service in your school. The preference for a new person over a known has made you question just how valued your service has been.

That kind of conversation is very difficult, but likely necessary for your self-respect.
Those who don't ask/object don't get. And it costs nothing to say the new position should come with your current room. Best to say what you need.

If you are like me, you may need to practice some statements both to introduce the topic and to respond to what the prince may say.

kidsrterrific

Broomrider
Old 03-22-2022, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Well said. It would be hard for to this conversation without practice, but the very best way to approach the situation at hand.