Help

ARCHIVE

They just keep asking!!!

>

Teacher Bean

They just keep asking!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do with students who constantly ask you how to spell words. I have some students that won't even try, even if I give them resources to help them out - Word Wall, Sound/Spelling Cards, etc.

Suezie

Usually
Old 08-22-2008, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Usually I answer with, "How would you start it?"

teach4evr

Sound Spell
Old 08-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I tell them they have to sound spell. If it is a word we have on the word wall I direct towards that!

Bertie

try cards
Old 08-22-2008, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My favorite! Cut up recycled paper into recipe sized pieces. When they want help with a word they have to "try" first, on the Try Card. When when I come to them I check off every letter they got right, with lots of praise, and scribe the correct spelling below. They're allowed up to 4 words on a try card. If the word is on the word wall (we look up at it together) I won't spell it but they've used one of their spaces up. If the word they want has the same spelling pattern as one on the word wall I point that out...."bike isn't on the word wall but like is. How would you change like into bike? I love try cards. I save them after the writing lesson to get a good fix on their phonics skill levels.
TeacherTim

TeacherTim

I say. . .
Old 08-22-2008, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"Try your best and if I can't figure it out, I'll ask what you meant."

or

"I'm not worried about your spelling, just get your ideas down and we'll fix it later."

aam_84

Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I write it on the board for them but make them then add it to their My Word Book!

ladydi

Tell them
Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't know either... try your best.

Caralala

Good use for scrap paper
Old 08-22-2008, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love the "try card" idea. I love that it reinforces the use of the class word wall. So often I feel it is a large unused space. I am never that successful in having them utilize it fully. Better yet, it can be a good way to recycle paper.

Tiki

spelling
Old 08-22-2008, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Do a mini lesson and model what you want them to do.

This is usually my second min lesson of the year. I write in front of my students and when I come to a word that I "don't know how to spell" I model using best guess spelling and circling the word so I can come back to it later.

Later when a child asks me to spell for them I remind them that I am not going to spell for them. I want to see their best guess spelling and it is OK if it is not dictionary spelling right now.

Marie2

Old 08-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I LOVE the try card idea! I'm going to use that this year! Thanks

imafive

ask the expert
Old 08-22-2008, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Usually there is a child in the class who knows how to spell it. I say "Who's the expert?" and that student will raise their hand. The one who needs help will go to the expert.

Mamahen

How do you spell?...
Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I always tell kids to do the best they can and then circle it. If they are working on a piece they are going to publish then I will be able to help them when I conference with them. For journal writing I don't correct their writing or spelling but circling the word keeps them from getting stuck on a word and lets them keep writing.

PS LOVE the try cards idea. I think I may try that too.

Tchn4fun

Old 08-22-2008, 11:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My students have those primary personal dictionaries, you know the ones with some frequently used words and lines to add more words? (I can't remember right now exactly what they're called. I remember reading a recent post from someone else who uses them.)

Anyways, if a student wants a word that is not in the dictionary, they need to try to spell it first, then I'll print the correct spelling beside their try. They know this is the only way to get it from me - try first, then I'll help. It makes the lazier (for lack of a better term) students stop asking for help so often.

mmw

Old 08-23-2008, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've been having them bring me their personal dictionary (it's like a word wall in book form..no walls in my room) opened to the correct page and I will write the word in. I'm going to use the try cards with that! Thanks so much for that idea!

luvmycat

Try again sheet
Old 08-23-2008, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My kids have a sheet in their writing folder where they follow the same sequence of steps as the try card above. They try on their own, then can ask a friend or try again, then I give them the standard spelling and compliment their knowledge of the sounds and letters in the word. (erath, you had all the letters right, you knew there was an 'a' in there and it goes before the 'r'). I ask them if they think they will be using that word again this year, if so, they copy it into their personal dictionary. I collect the try agians every now and then to look for grade level appropriate spelling patterns that seem to missing among my spellers.

If it is a word that may be relevant to other student's writing I put it on the board.

The sheet has three columns First try, second try, and standard spelling.

Oh yeah, they can't follow me around even if the sheet is done, they leave it on the corner of their desk and I fill in the standard spelling for them as I am circulating during their writing. I may ask if there is anyone who has a try again ready for me to provide them with the correct spelling.

jbkz

keep writing
Old 08-23-2008, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Like one poster stated, my main reason for not helping with spelling is that I want my students to do their best and just keep writing. I don't want them to get hung up on one word and forget their entire idea or run out of time. I also model constantly re-reading as they write so they remember what the words are, even if they are misspelled.

When I have a student ask me for help, I ask them what sound do they hear at the beginning and then I help them stretch it out. I hope I am teaching them how to do it on their own. On Friday I had an ELL student ask me how to spell "ride" and she got all the letters, but had them in the wrong order (ried) so I helped her correct it by pointing out long i, silent e. Then, while I was still there she asked me how to spell "bike", so I went through the same process of sounding it out and noticing the spelling pattern. We will see if it carries over to the next time she needs a word with this pattern.

After a student sounds it out I ask them if that "looks" right. If not, I help them fix it. For me, it all depends on the student. For my high level spellers who really want to know the correct spelling, I help them fix it to look right. Also, for ELL students, I will usually help them to make sure it is correct after they have tried. For most kids though, I just applaud their efforts to sound out the word to the best of their ability and they are happy and so am I.

If it is a word I know they will use over and over again, such as their brother's name or for example "castle" because they are always writing stories about castles, then I help them write it in their personal dictionary having them once again do their best to sound it out before I help them with the correct spelling.

T-Rex

Journal writing
Old 08-23-2008, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We start each day writing to a prompt in their journals. They have a little dictionary that I run off with words to add and also a special dictionary with pages of words associated with our units of study and fun, juicy words. I tell them to do the best they can and that I will help them later. I underline words mispelled and write them in the margin if I know they are not in the little dictionaries. I star the ones they can find in their dictionaries. It may seem like a lot of work at first, but there is a big pay-off. The children start to turn to their dictionaries first and request that I add a new word in their personal dictionary. As time goes on, they become more independent in dictionary skills and also have the satisfaction of knowing that all their words ae spelled correctly. Great leap in spelling high frequency words correctly, too.

Gopherbrain

Words I Use When I Write
Old 08-24-2008, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

In first and second grade we order "Words I Use When I Write" for each student. These booklets contain lots of frequently used words for these two grade levels. If a child needs a word spelled for them that isn't in the booklet, we spell it for them and they write it in for future reference. Last year was my first year using these and I loved them!

Jennypie

spelling
Old 08-24-2008, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I love the "try cards" idea. I will definitely use this in my classroom this year. Thanks!