Help

Daily 5

Daily 5 in 5th grade

>

berea79

Daily 5 in 5th grade
Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone using the Daily 5 in 5th grade? I had read up on it when I was going to teach 2nd, but I was moved to 5th grade the week before school started. Just wanted to hear if this strategy was working out in the intermediate grades.

MrsCroak

Old 10-25-2009, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i taught 5th last year and did daily 5. i have moved into a middle school position, so things are starting even slower for me this year, but i do have some information on my class website at www.mrscroak.com -- the photo album has pictures of last year's daily 5. i also have a lot of information under "Teachers"/

twomore

daily 2 or 3
Old 10-25-2009, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I am using both D5 and Cafe, although I don't have time for all 5. I also cannot do mini-lessons as fast as the sisters. I am new at it though so maybe I will get better with time. I think it is a good management system for reader's workshop which our system says we must do so we can differentiate. I am most worried about my good readers, but again, maybe I will get better in time. I can get to my weaker readers but it's easy to let the good readers slide. I would love to hear more from 5th grade who are experts.

cjn

Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also teach 5th grade. I use three of the components: read to self, word work, and writing every day. Sometimes the word work or writing may be a part of science or social studies. When appropreate, my students partner read, but not everyday--again maybe in sci or ss. I have just tiptoed into Cafe. I am reading a lot of picture books ( thereby adding listening to someone read)to reference the strategies--some of which only need a quick review for my class. Conferencing, ala CAFE, is a challenge for me--getting them in and feeling that they are effective. Hopefully this will get easier as my comfort level increases.