Help

Fifth Grade

protractors

>

ladijen148

protractors
Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching my students how to measure angles for the last week, and I think I am going to jump off a bridge! It seems impossible for the students to understand. I have gone around individually to each student, used my smartboard,and other materials to help them. Does anyone have any other ideas to help them out??? Or is anyone else having this problem or is it just me???

klperry

angles
Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do a quick preassessment and decide who is "beginning" who is "developing"
and who is "secure" Then I get a few kids who are experts to help the others. I use small groupings and try to get them to practice as much as possible. Everyday math has the game Angle Tangle where students estimate then measure the angle. Their opponent scores points when they are off on their estimates.

dmamec

Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a few phrases I use over and over...

"Put the dot on the dot, and the line on the line" (Put the hole of the protractor on the dot of the vertex...and the line of the protractor on the line of the angle)

Before they measure it they have to decide if it is more than 90 or less than 90 so they know what numbers to look at.

If that is still hard...I make sure they start up the line and count 10, 20, 30, etc until they get the angle.

Don't know if that will help...but I'd say that 98% of my 4th graders can measure an angle to the nearest 2 degrees by the time we're done.

Mrs. Panther

Me Too!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am having the same problem! What I found that has worked is that Everyday Math teaches the students to use both a half-circle and whole-circle protractor. (I find the whole-circle one challenging myself.) However, students love having the choice to pick which one to use, and after a few days of practice, they get it.

We also played Angle Tangle a lot this week (mention from a PP). Having students check each other in a game setting makes it fun and gives them the repetition they need.

GOOD LUCK!!!

canteach5

amblesideprimary...
Old 10-31-2009, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

.com is a super website with all sorts of protractor activities. My students have found them interesting, helpful and fun.
Hope that helps!

cjn

Paper Protractors
Old 10-31-2009, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I copy a large semi-circle for the students to cut out. I have them mark 0 at one end, and 180 at the other. We reverse the numbers and mark under the original. Then we fold it in half, mark 90 at the top, and "fit" the folded protractor into square corners (eg the corner of a textbook page), We fold again, mark 45 and 135 on top edge, and reverse the numbers and mark them under the original. We then look for things in the room that are about 45 degrees, testing with our folded protractors. You can fold one more time and make the appropriate marks.

Like a previous poster, I have them decide what type of angle they are measuring, and what the range of numbers can be. There are a couple of smart board lessons with the interactive protractor. I can send those if you need them.

LRRichardson

Angle Tangle
Old 11-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I really like the idea of playing the Angle Tangle. I will be doing my unit in measuring angles in a couple of weeks, and I am going to give it a try!

mjoteach

protractors
Old 11-23-2009, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Laura Candler has a great geometry book on her website with activities available. It is www.lauracandler.com