Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Pregnancy Woes...TMI

>

Mrs. Bea

Pregnancy Woes...TMI
Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Oh for those of you who have been reading my posts, know that this pregnancy had not been easy. I have had one issue after another but the one that has surfaced is constipation. YES, it is awful. I am just curious as to what some of you have done to help with this. I drink at least a liter of water everyday. My doctor's office does a print out for new moms for remedies and one of the things that it says it lists certain stool softeners, colace and one other one and then if you have 3 days without one (BM) then it lists pericolace and senekot to help. Would you follow this? I am just a little wary of it because I don't like taking meds while pregnant but I figure if that print it and give it to all their patients then it must be safe right?? Just wondering what you guys think about this???

Illini Teacher

prescription prenatal
Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I remember my OB giving me a sample of a prescription prenatal that also had a stool softener. It was very easy on the tummy and did not cost all that much. I did not end up filling the prescription because I didn't really deal with that, but my friends that did alternated between the prescription one and their regular one.

Good luck to you. If you are concerned it never hurts to call the nurse or doctor and talk about your concerns. That is what they are there for!!

Illini

cnngirl

Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I never liked taking meds when I was pregnant either, but I did take Colace. It worked great for me. I would think that any medicine your doctor put on that list would be just fine to take during pregnancy. But I totally understand being nervous about it. Good luck to you!

Keep Going

Prunes
Old 03-12-2011, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How about prunes? They are natural and tend to get things "moving". Colace seems safe, but if you can go all natural, then all the better!

Mrs. Bea

Thanks for the input
Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am glad that someone understands that I am not over thinking this but rather trying to do what is best for my baby! Thanks again!

ladykeke20

Old 03-12-2011, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm also preg and also know that this is not the easiest journey...because you have to be extremely careful not to harm yourself and your unborn child.
Whenever a problem arises, I don't like taking meds....Im stubborn ( which can be good or bad). I agree with the PP who mentioned taking prunes, as it is all natural. You can even get the prune juice, which is extremely YUCKY by the way, but both of these are natural.

Take on me

Apple juice
Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I too experience constipation with my pregnancy. My docotor said Coalce also, but I am so iffy about taking meds. My SIL is a nurse and she told me apple juice and appple sauce. The juice works! I had a large glass one morning and felt a lot better by the end of the day if you know what I mean.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

Alicia G

Old 03-12-2011, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Also, don't forget to up the fiber.

SLOWLY

There are so many yummy fiber bars and just good ol' fruits and vegetables. Beware that some fruits (bananas pop into my mind) are binding but most are just the opposite.

Eat a fresh green salad (dark green) each day and some fruit. Dried fruit is high-fiber but also high calorie.

Old-fashioned oats are cheap and good to loosen things up. So is Raisin Bran. If you don't like cereal, find recipes to make bars and cookies out of oats and bran.

Kashi has some high fiber bars that I saw at Costco and Quaker makes "breakfast cookies."

Just ramp up slowly. Otherwise you'll be a real stinker. And it could work a little TOO well and you'd then get a little runny.

Also, as simple as it may seem, be sure to drink LOTS of water. Tea counts too, but aim for most of it being decaf (and nothing "odd" -- only ordinary things as some of the stranger teas are not safe in pregnancy. Basically, green and black teas are fine as are teas made out of things you usually eat such as raspberry, ginger, orange, lemon, etc.)

klperry

same problem
Old 03-12-2011, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

this was awful for me too, only I was drinking more like a gallon of water a day. I ate fiber, all the fiber I could have on my carb-controlled diet. I took Colace and it didn't work. After way too many days, I would finally go. My doctor first said cherry juice, but I couldn't have the carbs, but then suggested I try a dose of milk of magnesia. I swear it was all the granny smith apples I ate that finally helped!

NKOTBFan

Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In addition to drinking lots of water each day I would also eat a ton of high fiber fruits & veggies.
Hope you find relief soon!