Poll: Textbooks...inside desks or on a shelf? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Poll: Textbooks...inside desks or on a shelf?

>

TeacherCarrie

Poll: Textbooks...inside desks or on a shelf?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My new classroom doesn't have those cubbies/mailboxes that my old room did and that I LOVED so so so very much!

I don't necessarily like kids keeping their textbooks in their desks b/c of how trashed they get. But I'm also going to work on teaching them how to keep their desks organized this year as well as reward students who keep their desks nice and orderly...so maybe it wouldn't be a big deal to have them keep their texts in their desks this year.

But my question to you PTers first before I make the final decision is, how many of you like to have your kids put their textbooks on a shelf rather than inside their desk...and why? If you don't mind them keeping them in their desks...why? How do you monitor it?

BamaBabe

In the
Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

cubbies. Just call me OCD, but I cannot stand to see books, papers, notebooks, pencils, etc hanging out of desks. UGH!! I even have the students only get out the book(s) they will need for the morning and swap for afternoon books at lunch. Am I the only one?

1956BD

Text book Storage
Old 07-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My students keep their math, social studies, math, spelling and science text books in their desk cubby because we use these books daily.

I store the two basals for reading, health and the language-grammar text book, as we do not use these as often. Plus their desk will not hold this many text books.

trishg1

I don't have desks
Old 07-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

so everything is on the shelf. Spelling book, writing journal, reading response journal and AR book(s) are in the Daily 5 box. Math books are in the math center, science books with science, social studies with social studies, Bible workbooks with their journals on a shelf....

The only thing that gets used every day is the D5 box. Bible would be the next most frequent, 2 or 3 days/week.

I quit using desks a few years ago. I was so tired of the "shove" that happens with half completed work. With no desk, those students are FORCED to get up and put it in their backpack to take it home for homework, or get up and turn it in, or even get up and throw it away.

Sam5

Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My students' desks will not fit all their books, folders, and notebooks. I use to have them keep half their books in their lockers and then switch at lunch time. We have since moved to a different school and the lockers are inconvenient so I have my students store half their books in cubbies that were built by a friend of mine. They are really low shelves with dividers. The kids store half their books in the cubbies. They swithc books in the morning and after lunch.

houstoes

cubbies
Old 07-11-2011, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

textbooks in cubbies, folders, binders, and pencil box in desk.

florida

Textbooks
Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I prefer that the textbooks are kept in the cubbies. The students have too many to keep in the desk. Everything else can goes in their desks such as pencil box, folders, spirals, and agenda.

twiceblessed

Old 07-11-2011, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My students only keep their Math and Grammar/Writing textbooks inside their desk. Social Studies and Science are kept on a shelf.

Century46

Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have round tables for 4 students rather than desks, so books must be kept in separate locations. I have chair packs for folders, notebooks and such, and a crate under each table for the textbooks we use each day (or ones that we are using for several days). Other textbooks are keps on bookshelves and students get them during a transition.

rillaGurl

I don't have desks
Old 07-12-2011, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I actually have 2 desks, a coffee table, a regular rectangular table (with 4 chairs), bean bag chairs, some video rockers, camping chairs, etc. That said, we just got cubbies this summer. Previous to this I just had a spot on shelves for book boxes and supply boxes. All textbooks were in one area. Then our math workbooks and making meaning workbooks were in file trays for easy access. This years we will have cubbies for the first time, so each student will have their book box, supply box, and 2 workbooks we frequently use.

I do my whole class instruction on the carpet at the front of the room, so it works better to have the texts on a shelf near there.

J.Elaine

Old 07-12-2011, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We have trapezoid tables - no desks.

All our textbooks are stored on a book truck (like a library uses).

We have plastic storage boxes (from Really Good Stuff) to hold folders, spiral notebooks, agendas, dry erase boards, clipboards, etc.

On the tables, students may have a pencil box, an independent reading book, and a composition book (called our Netbook Notebook).

I get kids to keep their places neat because they can't have their netbook out on a pile of debris, and they ALL want to get their netbooks out!

mstasha08

Milk Crates
Old 07-12-2011, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Maybe you could use milk crates to store textbooks since you don't have cubbies.

TeacherCarrie

Old 07-12-2011, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
Maybe you could use milk crates to store textbooks since you don't have cubbies.
It's so funny that you shared this b/c I was just clicking on this thread to let everyone know that they helped me figure it all out. I actually decided I am going to put a crate at the end of each table group row for them to put to put their books in!

Niki

desks vs. shelves
Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I do a combination of both. I have them keep their reading and math book in their desks and their science and social studies books are on a shelf. That way their desk isn't as crammed full of textbooks. Also, every Friday I give the students a SuperCat ticket if their desk is clean. This is the all school ticket system. The students who do not receive one have to clean their desk out in their free time or at recess on Friday. I also found the "Clean Desk Fairy" coupon on proteacher and sometimes give them that with a small treat.
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=16625

aksuz

Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've put them lots of places over the years.

Lined up against the wall on the floor.
In book boxes
Currently I have them all on a rolling library book cart----this is my favorite because I can move them to the kids and tuck them in a corner when we are done.

marmar

Old 07-13-2011, 12:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I keep the books in their desk. It's just much easier for time management to do that. I have 34 students.

catgirl79

Old 07-13-2011, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have my students keep the textbooks on a shelf. I'm lucky that under the set of windows on the wall are shelving units. I have tried having the students keep the books at their desks, but then the desks overflow with all sorts of things ! I also tried having milk crates one year, but kept tripping over them- or the crates would then become dumping grounds for all sorts of odd papers, school supplies, and no one could find anything quickly.

jhwkr

Desk Fairies...
Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I think the less students have in their desks, the better!! One of the things I like about having students keep their things in cubbies was that it gives them a chance for movement between subjects. It also requires them to think about being prepared and organized... They had a certain amount of time to 'get ready' or they tried to 'beat the teacher' and get ready before me. I gave the class tokens if everyone was able to get ready quickly.. or I had 'repeat offenders' pay tokens when they had to go back and get something they forgot. The only thing they are allowed to have in their desks are a book to read, an "unfinished work" folder, and planner.

I have a "Desk Fairy" and "Cubbie Fairy." Every now and then I go around the room and leave a note from the Fairy if their desk/cubby area is clean. I created a tiny note from the fairy... sometimes I leave a tiny piece of candy or token with the note (and of course a TINY trace of fairy dust.) I was amazed to find that even the older kids liked the desk & cubbie fairies!!

boelensa

Textbooks
Old 07-13-2011, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have limited space in my room, but even so, I keep textbooks on shelves. My room is incredibly small (portable) and the desks are even smaller so that I can cram in 28-29 of them. I have gotten creative over the years, and have found bookshelves that are love enough to fit under white boards and bulletin boards. The texts live there!