Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Why cant he see it my way

>

secret22

Why cant he see it my way
Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 PM

We have been in our house about 3 months. We want to get some typical stuff done (i.e. paint, floors, gut bathroom, etc) and then we have some stuff we must get done (i.e. landscaping/slope of the land). We have got some quotes on the above mentioned things. The paint wasnt too bad but the flooring and bathroom is a bit much.

We have been paying for grad school out of pocket for the last year and a half (no loans at all) and have pretty much depleted one of our savings accounts to do so. This savings account was really just saving for the purpose of saving.

The hubby wants to continue to spend money as it comes in on getting the house together. As bad as I want the house together and all done up, I would rather save, save, and save some more so we have something to fall back on and get to where we were before. Not to mention hubby wants to start school in the fall.

What do you think?

secret22 is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM

I would say slow down, do what you actually have to do, and save. Skip the wouldn't it be nice things and even the it would be useful. If your savings are gone and anything goes wrong you have a serious problem.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

queen of renos here
Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM

First, replenish your savings. You should have 6 months worth of expenses saved in case something happens. Do it and then don't touch it unless it is an emergency!

In th emean time keep a close eye on sales at your local do it store. Flooring isn't THAT hard to do yourself or to hire the prep work done. We often do all or portions of our renos ourselves. It saves TONS of money and feels so good when its done. Soemtimes we run into projects we don't know a lot about so we will do the demo, hire the prep work done and advice then do the labor ourselves.

I think now is the perfect time to save. Summer isn't here yet so you hav ea few months to save before you have to work on the lawn. Then NEXT summer you will be caught up and can do some project yoruselves?

just an idea
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM

Do what HAS to be done. Live with the rest.

I don't like the parquet floor from the 70's that's in my kitchen, but it is nice flooring and in great shape. I don't see the need to replace it when there are things that need to be done, like grading the yard to keep water away from the crawl space.

Maintain a healthy "oh, sh!t" fund for those things that you did not plan. They happen. Make a list of all the things you would like to do, and prioritize them.

I bought a fixer-upper house in the summer of 2000. The house was built in 1973, and the last design renovation was in the mid 80's. there was a lot to do! I was not going to borrow money or deplete savings to do it. I alternate big, important projects with inexpensive cosmetic fixes. One of the projects on my original list was a garage. I did not have to have one, and there were plenty of other projects that were more important. I'm just now getting my garage . . . but I'm also getting it while maintaining my emergency fund and savings. I'm also absolutely NOT ignoring things that have to be addressed. If you ignore too many important projects, at some point you have a major issue on your hands. I also save a lot by knowing how to do things myself.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

de'anna

Save first
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
First, replenish your savings. You should have 6 months worth of expenses saved in case something happens. Do it and then don't touch it unless it is an emergency!
I agree. You never know what may happen down the road. My DH had his leg crushed between two cars, not exactly something you plan for. He couldn't walk for 6 months, no work for about 7 months. You MUST have a savings, only repair the dire stuff first, and then the rest slowly...

My two cents,
De'Anna

de'anna is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Men think in terms of doing what you want. We want to provide for our family. After taking FPU I realized what my wife needed the most, security. Talk to your hubby & express that as much as you want the house stuff done you NEED a sense of security and that can only happen if you gain your savings back. Explain the fear of not having that safety net feels to you.
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

secret22

You hit the nail on the
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM

head teachnut. He swears he is putting the rush on it because he knows me and knows I will be talking about how I want to get the house together. He says that I cant say that I want something and expect him not to get it. I totally love him for that, however I would rather wait. Yes I will probably say a few times "I wish the house was together", okay okay a gazillion times but I know better.

De'anna, wow I bet that was tough. We experienced unemployment at one point before and it was definitely rough. Not just the financial side either.

Imateacher, that is what I am trying to get him to understand, we have to prioritize! Fortunately for us and according to the inspector we bought a "good" home with no huge issues. The only thing the inspector said he would get done asap (when weather breaks) is the landscaping (house is built into a hill and not "sloped" right). Most of the stuff we want to fix is cosmetic

Sub, we really dont want to do anything ourselves this time around. Hubby is trying to install a new sink fixture and lets just say it is not looking to hot! I am confident in my abilities to do things, but he thinks we should mostly go professional

Earthmonkey, we have definitely been sacrificing. That is always a great ideal. We will continue to do so. We are not totally a** out yet because we have one more savings account. But that fool wants to start dipping into that!

The bolts will not come off of the copper pipes so the new fixture can go on, and now he is on his way to home depot.........smh

Thanks everyone!

Sue too

landscaping
Old 01-08-2013, 04:29 PM

I am just curious. About how much do you think it will cost to pay someone to grade the soil so the water goes the right way? I have begun to dread rain. The worst was the two hurricanes but now it seems to come in on regular rain too. I have to do something soon.
Sue too is offline   Reply With Quote

secret22

Sue
Old 01-08-2013, 04:36 PM

You will have to get some quotes. From my understanding it will depend on your yard/land (how big, condition, materials used, etc). The inspector (obviously not a landscaper) said we were looking at a few thousand. A friend who does landscaping said it probably will not be that much.

trishg1

Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 PM

I am curious why you are paying someone to paint. It is really a pretty easy job and paint is cheap. I get the time factor, but you can do one room in a weekend.

trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sue too

Secret 22
Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Thank you for the information. At least it gives me an idea. I really appreciate it!
Sue too is offline   Reply With Quote

secret22

trish
Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 PM

We have considered painting ourselves but hubby doesnt want to and to be honest I really would rather not mess with it either. Not to mention we have some foundation/settling issues (nail pops, slight crack) that we need to get taken care of as well.

We did purchase some paint already though that we will use if we go with the painter who doesnt supply paint

Ima Teacher

Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
About how much do you think it will cost to pay someone to grade the soil so the water goes the right way?
I had that done last spring. Grading the soil, laying drain lines, and putting plastic sheeting & gravel under my house was between $4000-$5000. Of course, we uncovered a spring, a broken sewer pipe, and tree root damage in the process. Final project was a little less than $10,000.

Ima Teacher

Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 PM

Might be cheaper to go with a general handyman than a painter if you really don't want to do it. Popped nails, small cracks, and general filling in is easy, too. My dad taught me to spackle when I was 5.

secret22

ima teacher
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM

Holy sh*t!! 10 stacks! Uck! I am hoping ours is not that much!! However we have some land I want to get leveled and have a boat load of trees removed so we will see.I have said it before and I will say it again, this homeowner stuff is not all its cracked up to be

Trish, the hubby attempted to put on a new kitchen sink faucet because the old one was leaking. Almost 4 hours later, 4 different trips to the store, a horrendous kitchen, a soaked floor, and a couple of cracked pipes later or wherever the leak is .......we can barely use the kitchen sink!! Yea thats my baby and I love him to death. He is actually very intelligent. But any kind of handy man?? He is not. We will just stick to the professionals. I am being nice about it though. I think he was trying to show me he is capable of doing something! ?!?

trishg1

Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 AM

I am blessed- my grandpa built the house he lived in. My dad and DH can fix anything. My preacher jokes that his dad taught him to write a check. I'm not judging. Everything in life costs time and money, and in general, they are inversely proportional.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

secret22

Trishg1
Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 AM

You are very lucky!