Help

ARCHIVE

random question....

>

teacherdani21

random question....
Old 08-01-2007, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Kind of off the topic of lesson plans, classroom ideas, etc. But, I was just thinking how I should probably start setting up my classroom since we do start school in about about 3 weeks ! It got me thinking about how much time teachers take to set up their classrooms. So...how long does it usually take to set up your classrooms? Last year was my first year of teaching, so it took me a solid 2 weeks (maybe even 3) to completely set up my room. I am hoping that it won't take me that long this year! I am trying to avoid it as much as possible right now because it is so HOT and humid here and my school doesn't have air conditioning. There is nothing worse than trying to put up bulletin boards when it is 100 degrees outside!

teach4evr

Forever!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I keep telling myself it should get easier each year. However, it doesn't. I usually regorganize, deep clean, etc. It usually takes me a good week to two weeks depending on how disorganized I was at the end of the last year! I air conditioning has been broken and they have been trying to fix it over the last few weeks. I usually only last about an hour before I die of heat. I have to be back on the 13th of August for meetings and the students return the 21st. I am down to the wire and still have a long ways to go until my room is ready.

Good luck!
Jennifer

dswan

classroom set up
Old 08-01-2007, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, I've been teaching first grade for 20 years, and the previous poster is absolutely right--it doesn't get any easier! Esp. if you are conscientious and want your room to look fresh, with new ideas, etc. I do the same cleaning and organizing as teach4evr does. I agonize every summer on how I can do things better. I'm usually in the room a good 3 weeks before school starts. Of course, I only work a few hours each time (too hot!!!) but it always takes me forever. This year is worse. Our school was closed down, and I had to move to a different school--weeks of unpacking the boxes and setting up class in a different room means my summer hasn't been very relaxing! I started working on that July 5 and I'm still at it.

teachmich

Getting Ready
Old 08-01-2007, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm starting my seventeenth year of teaching, and it still takes me 2-3 weeks to get ready for the beginining of the year.

Here are some tips that you may or may not have thought of yet:

*Try to go as early in the morning as you can, before the hottest time of the day. Bring half frozen water bottles or lemonade.

*Bring nieces/nephews/cousins to help out. It's a win-win situation. Some of them LOVE coming to "play school". The younger ones can be a big help with sorting crayons, sharpening pencils, organzing your game cupboard. The older ones can help out with organizing your book bins, putting up bulletin boards, hanging things in the hallway. And usually, they're very happy to do it if you let them draw on the chalkboard or whiteboards and get them a pop from the teacher's lounge before sending them out to play on the playground! My nieces still beg me to come in and help. My twelve year old daughter is a pro. She can set up or take down a room faster than some veterans! But....have a list of things that you want them to do BEFORE they get there. It's too hectic to try and figure it out when you're already there.

*Do as much as you can at home or in the air conditioned parts of your school. Our teachers lounge and main office are air conditioned. That's where you can cut out your laminating, make name tags, etc.

*Take the time to pack your room up neatly in June. Although it's tempting to get started on summer vacation, make sure that you put things away in an organized way. Saves you time in the fall!

Have a great second year!

JunieB.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I usually start going in about 4 weeks before school, but then it is only an hour or so each day. I like to space it out that way, and I always change my bulletin boards, etc.....I like to switch it up!

new1stteacher

new1stteacher

Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just started today. It will probably take me about 2 weeks, if I pace myself.

stephanie

Classroom setup
Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It usually takes me 2-3 weeks to set up my classroom as well. I always try several new things and that means that my setup changes from year to year.

Mel's1st

I Thought I Was the Only One
Old 08-02-2007, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Day 1 - Unpack, dust (that was not on my priority list the last few weeks of school), place furniture - talk to colleagues

Day 2 - see day 1

Day 3 - decorate - mostly done with masking tape & Elmer's glue - only two bulletin boards in my room - talk to colleagues

Day 4 - see day 3

Day 5 - see day 4

Day 6 - kid stuff - nametags, folders, notebooks, sticks in the can, etc. -talk to colleagues

Day 7 - work on curriculum, but then again I've been fine tuning that all summer - talk to colleagues

If I could close my mouth, I'd probably get it all done much faster, but I wouldn't miss catching up with friends!

Miquell

Ditto Mel
Old 08-02-2007, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I could have written the same response!! But unfortunately my school doesn't like the teachers there too early. I must admit I am not ready by far to start back to school. I just started enjoying my time off as I took 4 classes this summer back to back. But now I am done and it is fun to just sit and relax well sort of I am packing. We will be moving the 2nd week I am back at school! I am packing everything (actually throwing out/recycling) a lot of stuff. But that is another story. I can not even imagine having to unpack my room and set it up but I will have to in a matter of weeks. Thanks to all for sharing

teacherdani21

Mel's1st
Old 08-02-2007, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Your post made me laugh because I spend soooo much of my free time talking to colleagues. It probably wouldn't take me as long either if I just stayed in my room.
Thanks to the rest of you for sharing! I am going back to my room on Monday. I am the type of person that likes to get things done, so I end up being in my classroom for 6-8 hours at a time. So, I figure it won't take me very long if I keep this up everyday, and if I keep my mouth shut!

seuss4me

Old 08-03-2007, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I go in a couple of days a week for an hour or two most of the summer. That way I can take advantage of the cool morning air and think things out gradually.

liketeaching1

Classroom set up
Old 08-03-2007, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I usually spend several days (two to three hours each) to set things up. I try to change things and always get great ideas here on proteacher! I find that if I go when no one is around--I get a lot done. If I go when there are several other teachers "working" we spend our time catching up on things (talking).