Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Gel/No-Chip manicures?

>

PEPteach

Gel/No-Chip manicures?
Old 02-14-2015, 07:59 AM

I'm thinking of getting my first no-chip manicure! I just want to know what I can expect in terms of how long it stays, and also how it comes off. I've heard some bad stories about it ruining nails. This isn't something I will keep up...kind of a one time special treat. Is it hard to get off?

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

Old 02-14-2015, 08:09 AM

You should make an appt in about 2-3 weeks to have the polish removed. I use gel all the time, and you can peel it off, but it's much harder on your nails that way.
Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 02-14-2015, 08:16 AM

I had a gel manicure at a reputable shop. They looked great, only lasted one week and my nails have NEVER been the same since. They chip, break, grow weird. Might be coincidence - but I wouldn't do it again.
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 02-14-2015, 08:30 AM

While it looks very pretty, unless you plan on keeping up with it through the salon I wouldn't do it. It took forever for my nails get back to normal.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Maestra

Old 02-14-2015, 08:45 AM

I did shellac nails which is a name brand of gel nails. Supposed to be easier on your nails. When I had mine done French manicures were popular and because the base of the nail was clear, I think I got longer wear out of them. About 2 weeks. I think with color you would notice the growth more. I would only get them removed professionally. My nails were a mess when I finally quit, but I don't have really good nails to begin with which is one reason I did the shellac. I think if you were just going to do a one time manicure, though, your nails would be ok.

Maestra is offline   Reply With Quote

CLHS

Old 02-14-2015, 08:52 AM

The gel manicure looked nice, but my nails were RUINED after the removal process. It took quite a bit of time before they went back to "normal". The only no-chip manicure that I have found that I absolutely LOVE are my Jamberry nail wraps. I'd be happy to share more with you...just send me a pm.
CLHS is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I Like For Short Term
Old 02-14-2015, 09:31 AM

I like to get gels before vacation. They look good the entire time we are gone! I have had them last three weeks before, but at least two. When they lasted three weeks you could see the new nail growth, so it was time for another manicure.

I got hooked of gels because they lasted longer but my natural nails began to look a little yellow, so I gave it a rest. My nails were weaker as well, so I stopped getting gel manicures on a regular basis. It did take about six months for my nails to return to normal. I had no longer term damage.

I say go for it! One time can't hurt. When your hands look pretty, you feel prettier.
Enjoy!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 02-14-2015, 11:20 AM

I wear gel nails all the time. I actually bought a kit and learned to do it at home for myself. I remove them myself also, and so long as I remove them properly and don't peel my nails are in good condition (no better or worse than before gel). If you want to remove them yourself, lightly buff the nail to break the gel seal, soak a cotton ball in acetone polish remover and place it over the nail, wrapping it with tin foil. Leave it for 10-15 minutes. Most of mine comes off on the cotton ball and the rest I scape gently with an orangewood stick.
Mine last between 10 days and two weeks. Regular polish last for less than a day on me so gel is fantastic. Enjoy your treat!
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 02-14-2015, 12:34 PM

Thanks everyone! Still undecided! It'll be a spur of the moment decision at the salon.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote