Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Quebec City

>

travelingfar

Quebec City
Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 AM

DH and I are thinking about taking a trip to Quebec City and the Charlevoix region in September. I'd like to stay at the Chateau Frontenac in QC but would love recommendations for restaurants and things to do.

travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-14-2018, 11:51 AM

I love love love Quebec City! I liked QC about 3787484784 times more than I did Montreal. It's absolutely gorgeous. I can't remember where we stayed, but I will say I had the best meal there. And nope, don't remember the restaurant, either. I am no help, but oh my gosh have so much fun getting lost there. We got lost a lot even though I spoke French back then.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

CLHS

Qc
Old 06-14-2018, 12:00 PM

I LOVE QC!!! The first thing I have to say is...unless you are dead set on staying at the Frontenac, I would pick a different hotel so you have more $ for shopping and adventures. You can visit the Chateau and look around, but most of the rooms (unless you're forking over a great deal of $$$) are small and not anything special. There are so many beautiful places to stay within the Old City that are much more reasonable. I'd be happy to share some places I've stayed over the years if you're interested.

Walking around the Old City is a must! Bring your sneakers because you will walk a lot and there are lots of hills and stairs in the old city. You can either take a lot of steps or the funicular to go between the upper and lower part of the city. The lower part has cobblestone streets and tons of shopping and restaurants. I would recommend taking the funicular at least once because there are some incredible views from it. If you don't mind walking a little further, there's a lovely public market (Marché du Vieux-Port de Québec) that is fun to walk around and get some yummy treats.

When we visited for an anniversary trip, we spent a little extra to take a horse drawn carriage ride throughout the old city. It was money well spent. Our guide was so much fun and gave us tons of information about the city that I never knew.

The Citadel was something my husband and I both really enjoyed. Plan a trip during the changing of the guards ceremony for the best visit.

Drive a little further out of the city to visit Saint-Anne-de-Beaupre. It's a gorgeous basilica that I have to visit on every trip I've taken. On your way there or back, take a stop at Montmorency Falls.

As far as places to eat - you really can't go wrong in QC. The food there is amazing (if you've never had poutine, now is the time)! If you're a chocolate fan, locate a Chocolats Favoris store. It's chocolate heaven! https://www.chocolatsfavoris.com/en

For a casual, delicious meal with great views of the Chateau Frontenac, have a meal at Le Chic Shack. It's a simple meal but one of my favorite spots.

I really could go on and on. It's such a beautiful city. Enjoy your visit!

P.S. Almost the entire city is fluent in English these days. My first trip there (almost 30 years ago) hardly anyone spoke English, but I haven't had any trouble on the trips I've taken over the last 10 years.

Last edited by CLHS; 06-14-2018 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: forgot to add...
CLHS is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 06-14-2018, 12:15 PM

I loved a very quaint restaurant:
Bistro Sous Le Fort
48 rue Sous-le-Fort
Quebec, Quebec

It was tiny, very French and perfect.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 06-14-2018, 02:44 PM

Quebec City is one of my favourite places! Make sure you set aside lots of time just to wander through the old city- there are so many little shops, buskers and beautiful sites.

I do agree that staying at the Chateau Frontenac might be overrated. Perhaps one night if you are set on it, but it is pretty pricey!

The funicular is must-do! I also love the Citadel and Plains of Abraham, Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre and Montmorency Falls.

Rue du Tresor is an alley near Chateau Frontenac that is full of artists peddling their work. Observatoire de la Capitale gives a great view of the city. If you're looking for more of an adventure, Village Vacances Valcartier is an awesome water park a bit outside the city.

I'm not as familiar with the restaurant scene these days, but we used to enjoy Pub St-Patrick.

As far as shopping - there are tons of wonderful small shops. I would also check out Simons - it's a Quebec chain of department stores that has lovely chic clothes and housewares.

Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

1totravel

Old 06-14-2018, 06:44 PM

I stayed at a small B and B called the Chateau Fleur de Lys. Highly recommend. Central to everything. One block from the Frontenac. I enjoyed the changing of the guard at the fort. The city is a joy to walk and explore!
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Hotels
Old 06-15-2018, 03:34 AM

I appreciate the recommendations and tips. I decided not to say at Chateau Frontenac. There are smaller hotels in the old town that look very nice, and we will probably stay in one of them.

I'm looking forward to this trip.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote