Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Bar Harbour-New England cruise

>

Jackie

Bar Harbour-New England cruise
Old 08-15-2018, 03:26 PM

Dh and I are taking a 7 day New England/Canada Cruise this coming October for our ten year anniversary. We are stopping in Bar Harbour for the day. We definitely want to eat seafood while in Bar Harbour. Can anyone recommend a restaurant in Bar Harbour that canít be missed?

Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Burning Tree
Old 08-15-2018, 04:31 PM

If it were me, I'd choose Burning Tree. (Not actually in Bar Harbor, but close) I haven't actually ever eaten there, but a nephew and his bride-to-be have. I've eaten their food--and it's good. It's an upscale restaurant with good ambiance.

I haven't been to Maine since I found out about this restaurant and I really would like to go back.

There are also many much more informal "restaurants" where you can get very good lobster, but for a special anniversary, I'd go more formal.

One thing to check regarding any of your choices is whether they are open in October. Once Labor Day arrives and the big tourist season ends, some of them close for the season.

Last edited by TAOEP; 08-15-2018 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Added detail
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 08-15-2018, 05:06 PM

I had a blast in Bar Harbor about 100 years ago..as I recall, all the food was good everywhere! Have so much fun celebrating!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

CLHS

Bar Harbor
Old 08-15-2018, 05:23 PM

Youíll be able to get seafood at just about any restaurant in Bar Harbor! If youíre looking for something ďfancyĒ for an anniversary dinner, I would suggest the Reading Room...pricey, but great food and excellent views! A different choice thatís not nearly as fancy, but has been around for what seems like forever is Geddyís.

Depending on how much time you have, I would highly suggest taking the Island Explorer to spend some time in Acadia National Park. Schoodic Point is one of the stops and a favorite spot of mine (Iím a Mainer!). I believe it runs right through Columbus Day weekend.

Have fun! I hope you enjoy your time!
CLHS is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-15-2018, 05:46 PM

sounds like a great trip I bookmarked this idea for travel ideas in the future!

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

The fall is tourist season
Old 08-15-2018, 06:27 PM

Fall is HUGE in bar harbor. Everything will be open. That is foliage season. We are trying to get reservations for three nights and everything is booked. Have a great time...the hiking is incredible. My favorite National Park!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 08-15-2018, 07:21 PM

A friend almost did that itinerary. When you stop in PEI have mussels! And coleslaw.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 08-16-2018, 04:01 AM

If you want a fancier, more refined dining experience, The Reading Room Restaurant is very good! It is a bit expensive, but worth it.

Stewman's Lobster Pound, Jordan's Restaurant, The Chart Room, Rose Eden, are also great choices.

Most places around Bar Harbor will have sea food - they are everywhere!

Many of the shops and restaurants will be open until late October (after foliage season).
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 08-16-2018, 06:02 AM

My husband and I went on that cruise about 11 years ago.

Our ports were, Portland, Bar Harbor, St. John New Brunswick, Halifax Nova Scocia, and Boston.

Is that where you are going?

I donít remember where we ate in Bar Harbor, but everything was good. I think there is a nice restaurant right by the water.

In Canada, we had excursions that took us out to these little towns outside of St. John and Halifax and had a lobster lunch, a clam chowder and biscuit lunch, and tours of the area. We still had time to walk around St. John and Halifax after the tours were over. In Halifax, the end of the tour took us to the graveyard where the people who drowned in the sinking of the Titanac were buried.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 08-16-2018, 08:08 AM

Thank you for the recommendations! We donít care if itís someplace fancy or a hole in the wall joint. As long as the seafood is good, Iím there. Best crab legs Iíve ever had was in Juneau Alaska. It was basically a hole in the wall place, no seats, and they had the freshest crab legs Iíve ever tasted. I am hoping to find something similar in Bar Harbour!

Jazzer, our cruise is similar! We are going on Princess Cruises round trip out of NYC. Iím excited because we wonít have to fly out to get the boat. We are stopping in Newport, Boston, Bar Harbour, Saint John, and Halifax. We are planning on seeing the Titanic museum!

Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

Firefly_7777

Cruise
Old 08-16-2018, 09:09 AM

That sounds like an incredible trip! Have a wonderful time!
Firefly_7777 is offline   Reply With Quote