Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Road trip - Grand Teton to Glacier+ ideas

>

KC14

Road trip - Grand Teton to Glacier+ ideas
Old 03-20-2020, 05:48 PM

Since my tour through Germany, Austria and Switzerland is canceled for July, I am working on Plan B. Of course, I have no idea if this will happen either but I need something fun to occupy my mind.

We are considering flying to near the Grand Tetons, spend a few days there, a few at Yellowstone and then head up to Glacier National Park, spend some time there and then fly home from there. What is the best to do at each place? What other places may be close by or on the way by adjusting the trip a little? And what other suggestions can you offer? I would love to drive further north and add in Banff but I am not sure if they is another whole trip in itself.

Again, I have no idea if this will work out for this year but I love planning trips so am using this to concentrate on when things return to normal - whatever that may be.

KC14 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Tetons are beautiful!
Old 03-20-2020, 05:59 PM

We really enjoyed out guided tour boat ride on Lake Jenny in the Tetons.

https://jennylakeboating.com
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Gypsy guide
Old 03-20-2020, 06:24 PM

We downloaded the Gypsy guide for Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. We loved it. Can't remember the price, but it knows where you are and gives directions history, and tips. Definitely worth the money. There are other, more expensive guides, but this was fine. Just put it on your phone. With others you have to pick up a unit and turn it in and they are are way more expensive.
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

CLHS

Enjoy!
Old 03-20-2020, 07:00 PM

My family and I spent 2 weeks out west traveling through Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier. Hands down one of the best trips ever! Such a beautiful part of the country.

Someone told me before we went that Yellowstone was like the “Disney of National Parks” and I would have to agree. It was my least favorite of the 3 parks because of the crazy amount of people at every turn. Don’t get me wrong, Yellowstone is gorgeous! Artist's Point and the “Grand Canyon of Yellowstone” were our two favorite spots.

Grand Teton was probably my favorite park. I loved everything about it! The old Mormon barns were one of my favorite stops.

Glacier was my second favorite. Definitely take the wild 18 mile dirt road to the Polebridge Mercantile. The huckleberry bear claws they sell are delicious!

In Montana we stopped at Virginia City - an old ghost town which truly feels like you’re stepping back in time.

We stayed at Airbnb’s for our entire trip and I’d be happy to recommend some if you’re interested. We met some of the absolute nicest people traveling this way!

I could go on forever...feel free to pm me with any questions.
CLHS is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I think I read
Old 03-20-2020, 07:17 PM

that Glacier National Park is doing some road work at the beginning of summer and end of summer this year. You might want to avoid those dates.

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

KC14

Old 03-21-2020, 11:55 AM

Thank you for the suggestions and the warning about road construction. I was just looking at Jenny Lake - it looks gorgeous! CLHS - I will PM you once we get a few thoughts together!
KC14 is offline   Reply With Quote