Help

BusyBoard

Classroom materials question

>

whiteturtle

Classroom materials question
Old 06-13-2022, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone had any success selling classroom materials (books, manipulatives, games, etc.)? I am going to be teaching special education next year and really need to pare down my general education classroom materials collection.

Lilbitkm

Old 06-13-2022, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I switched from teaching ESE to general education I sold a bunch of my materials on EBay and locally. I had a ton of success with Lakeshore Learning items.

I would look at comparable sales and see what you could get for what ever it is you want to sell before listing anything.

Haley23

Old 06-13-2022, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have seen some people on Nextdoor and local teacher pages advertising "teacher materials garage sales." I'm not sure how lucrative it ended up being, but that seems like it would be less hassle than trying to sell online and having to deal with people constantly messaging, arranging pick ups/payment, watching out for scammers, etc.

We had a ton of people leaving teaching at my school this past year. They mostly just put their stuff outside of their rooms or in the lounge. One of our new hires came in the last week of school to "shop." I thought that was so smart! We throw away so much stuff every year that new teachers would love to have!

teachnkids

Old 06-13-2022, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Several years ago I sold a lot of my teaching stuff when I switched from elementary to middle.

I have no idea what would sell now with so much on the internet!

I have a corner of the garage that still has too much school stuff!!!

I may go through it and then post on a neighborhood site….new teachers come get teaching materials at a great price

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-14-2022, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sell on FB Marketplace. Some stuff sells well and some just sits. The problem is that to sell, and sell fast, you need to price it LOW.

kahluablast

Old 06-14-2022, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I tried selling some book sets a while back along with some other things that I thought teachers would find useful enough to pay for. Same as GG, people only want it if the price is low. Low. So low that it wasn't worth my time and energy even though I had quite a bit to sell.

I finished cleaning out all my classroom stuff that I can't use in my new position last year. I advertised for new teachers (FB/Nextdoor) and just gave the ones that showed up the rest of my classroom library and other odds and ends I still held on to. It was much less stressful and I felt good about sharing.

I bought a lot of my library when I first started from a retiring teacher. I will admit that I WOULD NOT have done that if not for the fact that teacher contracted a life ending diagnosis. I knew she needed the funds to help care for herself in her last days.

I do think a yard sale would be a good alternative if you are in an area you can do that.

123rabbit

Chapter books
Old 06-18-2022, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Try half priced books. We just sold several sets of chapter books (magic tree house, a to z mysteries, etc). They may even buy teacher resource books. They liked Scholastic materials.

readerleader

Yes
Old 06-19-2022, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I sold tons of stuff on Ebay when I moved to my current position. It does take effort and perseverance though. People bought all kinds of stuff, even my used bulletin board boarders! I sold book sets for guided reading and bundles of books for classroom libraries. Workbooks are a tough sell as just about everything is available online these days. You can look at "sold items" and get an idea whether it will sell and if it is worth your effort. All told, I'd say I made 1K, so worth it to me. This was about 7-8 years ago. Today I would probably use FB marketplace or teacher pages.

Violets2

Old 07-02-2022, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'll second trying FB Marketplace. My former ST looked there for some classroom items but check your prices before posting. She found some wheeled containers online selling for more than what she could buy one new. Keep at it during the summer if you can. You know when school starts up again and people need things immediately because they just got a position, they'll might be looking for used vs brand new online.