Help

ARCHIVE

Moving from 1st to 2nd

>

teach4evr

Moving from 1st to 2nd
Old 03-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know people have asked this before I have been asked to leave 1st for 2nd grade. This is a great leadership opportunity and my principal is not forcing me to move. However, I realize change is good and welcome it. Please tell me what would make me want to choose 2nd over 1st. I do not have to tell my principal until Monday what my decision is!

MrsM79

Old 03-28-2008, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that you would really enjoy it. Second graders are much more independent, and by about late October and early November, you really hit the ground running. The progress that they make in such a short time is amazing!! I teach second so I'm biased but I really think you will like it...much less tattling, too I must say!! Good luck with your decision!!

ABC

Love 2nd!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think the easiest transition between grades I ever made was from 1st to 2nd! Even though I loved the challenge of 1st, I love 2nd even more. The kids are a touch more independent at work time, they are reading "juicier" books with more substance to them, and you can start to go more in depth with comprehension. Level J on up books tend to have more plot to them. Really for all the subjects you can go to the next level. They are still young and love their teacher (most of the time!) and want to please. I think it would be hard for me to go back to 1st! Word of warning: If you do move up, the kids don't look really any different to you as they start 2nd--maybe a little bigger from over the summer. The next year, though, I had forgotten how young the incoming 2nd graders really looked!

teach4evr

Thanks so much for your input!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am really excited! My only trouble now is I have had some of the kids and won't be able to take some of my art/units, etc. to the next level because they have already done that. The positive is gives me a bigger challenge! Thanks for your thoughts!