ARCHIVE

Masters degree

>

Marsha123

Masters degree
Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!
I would like some input on Masters Degree Programs. I am looking into getting my Masters degree in edu. I took a couple of online classes getting my Bachelor degree and I really liked them. I am leaning on getting my entire Masters degree online, possibly going through Walden University. Does anyone have any information about them or on online degrees in general????
Thank you,
Marsha

teach4evr

Universtiy of Phoenix
Old 04-17-2008, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did my Masters through U of Phx. I loved it! It was hard with a family, job, and other commitments, but well worth it! I loved the online experience! Good luck with whomever you choose!

Katrinas20

Walden Univ
Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am currently pursuing my masters in reading and literacy through Walden. You take one course every 8 weeks which is equivalent to 2 courses in a semester. The faculty/staff at Walden are very helpful and responsive to student needs. The professors are top notch and very accommodating/helpful. Each week you have assigned reading, video(s) to watch, discussions in online forums, and one or two short papers to write. The workload varies week by week, but is very manageable. I have learned so much in my program. What you learn in the program, is very applicable in the classroom. Hope this helps!

1gr81ntheus

Go With Walden!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you're looking for practical ideas that can infuse fun into your teaching. Easy, helpful, to the point reading material, easy explanations and insight into how students learn - Walden is what you need. I just graduated two months ago and I would recommend the program to everybody. The discussion board is very similar to this one and was very, extremely reinforcing with everyone participating. As a matter of fact, I miss the discussions. I don't think you can go wrong with Walden!

Marsha123

Thank you
Old 04-17-2008, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I really appreciate all the information you-all have given me!!!!!

Zee

Old 04-17-2008, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I will be finishing my master's degree in May (YAY!). It was an online program. As a full time teacher, the online route was the best way for me because I could do the work on my own time. You have to be self-motivated though with an online program.

KarinT

Walden Question
Old 04-17-2008, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Is a Walden U degree accepted in every state? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't recognized in the state of Washington. Just wondering if anyone knew for sure. Thanks

ms.ally

Masters in MD
Old 04-17-2008, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am currently teaching in Maryland. I start my masters through Walden University on line on April 18th. I am also going with reading and literacy.
I'm excited but nervous at the same time.
Ill let you know how it goes. My co-worker is finishing up the same major with Walden and says its great, not too hard either!

saralara

Old 04-18-2008, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Do you know if it is possible to take online course in Maryland toward certification credits? I have to do 6 credits in the next year and have an unusual work schedule so I'm having trouble pulling it off.

Sara

biyubelle

Check First
Old 04-18-2008, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Before finalizing your plans I would contact my state department of education. Not only do you need the paper saying you have the MEd. You need to make sure that the state will recognize and certify it.

It would be a shame to invest all that time and money without getting something out of it.

You know another option is your state university. I understand that many of them now have online programs.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Another thought for those of you that simply need some additional hours. PBS has a teacher ed program I have used for getting the hours I needed for Highly Qualified. Sometimes your school system will underwrite the "tuition." Mine did.

Sara,

Go online to find out. All the universities now have their own websites.

Marsha123

Old 04-18-2008, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Oh my gosh, I love this web site!!! Everyone has been so helpful in answering my question about Walden University and online classes. Walden sounds like a great way to go. I will check with my state to see what they will accept etc.
Thank you,
Marsha

Marsha123

walden
Old 04-18-2008, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Great! I am currently teaching in Missouri. I am going to contact my state department and make sure Walden is acceptable. I believe it is though. Good Luck and I am looking forward to hearing about it.
Thanks,
Marsha

Marsha123

walden universitly
Old 04-18-2008, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Has anyone in Missouri taken classed with Walden????

flutterbuggy

Old 04-18-2008, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm actually starting my Master's degree at Walden at the end of this month!!! I'm taking it in literacy and mathematics specialization. I am excited but also a little nervous and stressed. I am definitely glad I am able to do it online rather than worrying about traveling back and forth to classes. I first heard about Walden from other teachers on this site!

ms.ally

Maryland certification credits
Old 04-18-2008, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm assuming your working towards your plus 30 or 60.
I am not aware of any online courses that are available, I have only heard of in class courses.
A good way to answer this would be to talk to your staff development.

ogdodie

Yes in Washington
Old 04-18-2008, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Walden U is recognized in the state of Washington. There are a couple teachers currently at my school who have earned their degrees through Walden and they highly recommend it.

KarinT

Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

for the clarification on Walden in WA. I was flipping through the WA State Board of Ed site and must have read something wrong.

Starglo3

I received my masters
Old 06-08-2008, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

from Walden in reading and literacy and I recommend it! I took it with a friend and had a study buddy which helped with the discussion questions and weekly papers. I also liked doing the work on my own time and not having to attend a class somewhere. Good luck with your choice!

cmason

Maryland Dept of Ed
Old 02-27-2016, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Hi Ms. Ally...I just came across you post (I know it is an old one but I thought I would try). I wanted to get more info from you about Walden's MS in Education Program with a focus on Reading/Literacy. I currently have an Elementary Teaching License but want to focus on reading. I am trying to figure out which online program to go with and I am liking Walden's accelerated program. It's only 12months! Did Maryland Dept of Ed (MDE) readily accept your Masters from Walden? I called MDE and asked about online Masters programs and couldn't get a straight answer about which one Maryland accepts. The rep said it has to be "regionally accredited" which can be North, NE, South, SE, E, W... I was thinking she just read off the entire U.S.! When I asked particular online Universities about acceptance in Maryland their reps told me to contact the Dept of Ed. I can't win! No one will give me a straight answer.
Any info you send my way about your Walden experience and Maryland's acceptance is greatly appreciated!