Help

Daily 5

Classroom Library Books

>

bubbleepink

Classroom Library Books
Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am having a huge problem! I need books in my classroom library! Kids are taking so many for their book boxes (which is great!) that there are literally none left in our library. I teach low grade 1's (who have little to no experiance with books before they come to my class), so I need easy beginner books. Is there something you recommend from scholastic /lakeshore etc so I can get whole sets and build up fast? Imagine you had an unlimited or really high budget: what would you order?

Tia!
Bp

bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

Thriller293

Classroom Library
Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You may want to set a limit of how many books they can have in their book boxes at one time. I allow my students 6 picture books or 2 chapter books at a time. They can also get 2 books from the school library each week. My kids are allowed to go "Book Shopping" twice a week as per our class schedule.
I also, get books from the public library. My public library allows me to check out 30 books at one time. You can keep them for 3 weeks.
You may want to check into that.
Good luck!
Thriller293 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Willbooks
Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check them out- they have very reasonably priced books for lower levels. Scholastic and Lakeshore also have sets of leveled readers. If you are a public school, you may be able to post a project for books on donorschoose. It's very user friendly.

With an unlimited budget, I'd order Sunshine Books and from the Wright Group- they have great books (but not cheap!)
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

kitkat72

Books
Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also take out many books from the public library every two weeks, but just recently I've been buying lots of used books at Savers (like a thrift shop that benefits Boys and Girls Club) -- picture books are 69 cents and so many of them are barely used!
kitkat72 is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

Thank you!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I checked out Willbooks. It doesn't look like they are Canada friendly in terms of shipping or signing up for discounted items. These do look like excellent books, so it is quite disappointing.

As for the sunshine books - those too look excellent. Since I want to fill up my library, I won't need the teacher guides or student work workbooks so that will be cheaper. I am going to try to find them on my ordering network.

Any other suggestions?

Munchkins

Old 04-20-2012, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Rigby has great leveled books. So does Lakeshore Learning. And you checked out Scholastic Books? Were the Sunshine books part of the Wright Group? I'll see if I can remember where else we ordered from.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

twiceblessed

Old 04-20-2012, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I purchased more than half of my books from used book sales. You can get great quality books at cheap prices. If you look at booksalefinder.com you will be able to see upcoming sales in your area. (They cover areas in Canada, too.) I LOVE this site!

You can also give them your email address and tell them how many miles you are willing to travel and they will email you weekly with upcoming sales or you can just check the site weekly. (I have used this site for four years now and I don't receive spam from them.)

I went to a used book sale today and bought 85 picture and chapter books and my total was $31.25.
twiceblessed is offline   Reply With Quote

austeach

My teammate...
Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

doesn't have many books, so she puts similar leveled books in a basket. Then she assigns kids to a basket to read from. I guess all the kids assigned to that basket sit by the basket. (I'm not sure about this.) So they still get some choice from the basket books and you need to have less books. It works for her and could be a temporary solution until you get more books.
austeach is online now   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If I had unlimited money, I would buy ALL of these:

http://www.maryruthbooks.com/Danny-Books-Prodlist.html

http://www.pioneervalleybooks.com/collections.html
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

berkmom

Classroom library
Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

For early readers, Rigby's PM readers are great . Pioneer Valley books are great and you can even read them online before purchasing. Our kids love Bella and Rosie and Gilbert. Also, don't forget Dr. Suess books! Those you can probably get at yard sales.

berkmom is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

ooouuu
Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

these look great!

thanks

TchMe

eBay
Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When I first started, I bought a couple of book lots on eBay. You can find a lot of teachers selling groups of lightly used books. Try a search like "early reader book lot" or "K 1 book lot."
TchMe is offline   Reply With Quote

AnnaCanTeach

magazines
Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I asked parents to donate kid magazines like highlights, etc. Or I laminate old Scholastic newsletters.

They get 5 books on their level, 2 bonus books, and one magazine. We switch every Monday.
AnnaCanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

teaching30

Goodwill
Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would recommend Goodwill. I purchase books from their stores the 1st Saturday ofcthe month which is half price day. That means they are only $0.34 each. Great way to build your library quickly
teaching30 is offline   Reply With Quote

KittyLitter

Classroom Books
Old 06-02-2012, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Do you happen to have a Half Price Books in your area? Thrift stores, garage sales, library sales, and class donations are great starts. Before you know it, you'll be up to your elbows in books! Good luck.
KittyLitter is offline   Reply With Quote

jlfogerty

Thrift stores!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I bought about 1/2 my books from Good Will or St. Vincent du Paul. Back then they did .25 for kids' books.

When I started I had many less than I do now. I've been collecting books for my library for 7 years. So I recommend that you also give yourself a break! It's okay!

Also, maybe tell them they can have 8 books out at a time, use the school and public library, use garage sales and thrift stores. And make a big deal with the parents in the fall to get as many points as possible from Scholastic Book Clubs by making a big September order. I learned this after my first year. If you order a lot in September (like about $200) you can get like 6,000 bonus points and that's really helped me build up my classroom library. I write the parents a letter to go with the book order that encourages them to spend even $1 if they can, which helps me buy more books.
Good luck!
jlfogerty is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

I did get some at Goodwill!
Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I always stop at Goodwill when I can and last week I was able to get quite a few books! Most of them are at their level!