Second Grade

Child Shuts Down or Refuses to Work

>

Dilllydally

Child Shuts Down or Refuses to Work
Old 09-07-2015, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Amazing and encouraging teachers,

I am struggling. I am a first year teacher and I have about two students that shut down and don't want to do anything if it is something they don't like.
Even after trying to make a more interactive lesson, they don't want to do the practice. I have pulled them aside and spoke to them individually. I tried encouraging them, praising them on the little things, helping them with reteach and letting them know I would be happy to help if they need it.

Responses: Unhappy faces, head down, no participation.

Is there anything more I can do? This is almost a daily thing. One time, I gave them the "tough love" act. I spoke firmly with them that they need to put in effort like the rest of the class or the end up losing points. They unhappily moved and did as I told them. But I didn't feel so good, I felt mean. Was that alright? I am sorry if someone already posted something similar to this. I tried searching but couldn't find it. If you do, could you provide me with the link so that I may read a similar post's replies?

Thank you!

Dilllydally is offline   Reply With Quote

TaffyFL

How old?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it would depend on how old they are. I teach 3rd grade, and I have already encountered children who don't believe they will ever succeed at school. I can't imagine how difficult it is for an older student who has suffered so much failure.

I always tell them it's ok to fail, but it's never ok to not try. I have one who is hard to motivate because he is used to wearing his second grade teacher down until she would take it away. Don't let them wear you down. Tell them they have to try, even if it is a portion of the assignment. Let the assignment follow them around, if you can. They can try now or at recess. Once they try, accept it and congratulate them. Then try to stretch it out a little each day.

I know this is trendy, but I read Growth Mindset in the Classroom and it really helped me emphasize with these students who have it fixed in their mind they will never succeed at school. We learned about the brain and neurons and how it's ok not to be there "yet." It might help!
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Management
Old 09-07-2015, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They are testing your boundaries. Stand firm, and don't take it personally.

I usually quietly ask them if some part of the work is tripping them up. I can help you.

Or tell them to step outside for a few breathes, then come back ready to work.

Then there's the natural consequence, "do it now, or at recess."

Most of all, what I gleaned from your posts, you are a little afraid they won't like you. Trust me, if you are consistent with your boundaries, they will like you.

And seriously, don't take it personally. They are too young to have vendettas!😀
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

Old 09-08-2015, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would first make sure it is work the child is truly capable of doing the work. This early in the school year, I'm going to guess they can make some sort of attempt at completing it.

I'm pretty firm with my students that they don't have to be right, but they have to try. I've had the situation before where a previous year's teacher basically walked them through everything if they said they couldn't do it. I will guide them, but I won't do it for them. For example, if students "can't do" math facts, I may show them the strategy of drawing 4 dots and 3 dots and count the total to add 4+3. If they consistently do this for all of the problems, but only complete half of what the other students do in a reasonable amount of time, I consider them finished.

My students have the choice of when to do the work, but not if they're going to do the work. They can work on in now, or at recess, or at recess or at lunch, etc. They do not get out of it. Later in the year I can tell who's trying their best and there are students who I expect to perform at their capability, but may not complete the quantity of work other students do. Hope this makes sense.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigercat

a couple of ideas
Old 09-09-2015, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just to add to those ideas that were already mentioned:

1. If you are not grading it, send a note home attached to it "not completed in class" and let the parents have fun with it.

2. Start a folder of unfinished work. ... .whenever you have free i pad time, free reading time, computer time, etc. library, etc. . .they can work from their folder.

3. It sounds to me that it is a lack of respect they have. .. not the inability to do the work.

Be tough, consistent, and don't let them get by with it. . .or it will be a year long problem.

Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Sometimes it's just that way
Old 09-09-2015, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am an old gray mare, in my 35th year of teaching. My assistant principal/math interventionist/LONG time coworker covered my math class last week while I had a doctor's appt. After I returned she asked if 2 certain ones of my kids ever pick up a pencil! My reply, in the week and a half we had been in school at that point...rarely. Mainly they breathe the air and take up space. In the week since, I have STILL not been able to motivate one of the two. Today I "relocated" him. We will see if new surroundings and neighbors help tomorrow. HANG IN THERE is about all I can tell you. Some kids are just near impossible to motivate.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

ladykeke20

Old 09-12-2015, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with this, I usually take away some of their time from recess when they don't complete their classwork. Especially since we focus on having many graded assignments.

Great advice!
ladykeke20 is offline   Reply With Quote