Help

Second Grade

Exhausted by Behavior

>

fatcat6

Exhausted by Behavior
Old 10-26-2015, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am returning to second grade after a year in fourth. I am really having a hard time adjusting to the immature behaviors, constant talking, etc. They only seem to care about each other, not learning anything. Almost all of my students are the babies in their families. I am trying to use ClassDojo (have used it for two years) but I just can't keep up with it this year. Help! The only think that seems to work is taking away recess minutes, which I hate. I feel like I am becoming a teacher I do not like, scolding and yelling.

fatcat6 is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Feel your pain
Old 10-26-2015, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My class is just like you described
I started giving each student to behavior tickets a day. If they misbehave they bring me a ticket. No ticket to give me results in notebook sign ( my behavior system). At the end of the month we have "behavior bash" and students get to spend tickets.

In addition I give entire class sad faces for loud/disruptive behavior. 3 sad faces and everyone has to pay a ticket.

I do have different colors for each day to keep up with students paying for misbehaviors. When I take a ticket for whole class it can be any color.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 10-26-2015, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Whoa! My class, too, is just like you described. There was not a moment today (other than while we practiced at recess) when they were quiet while working independently. I even had dividers up!

I moved down from 3rd and it has been an adjustment, that is for sure!

I miss 3rd!!
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

tweet

Can I get an AMEN!
Old 10-27-2015, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I moved down to 2nd from 3rd last year. Hated it. Still do, but the move was out of my control...another story for another time. This year's bunch is a LOT more immature than last year's. I use the clip chart system, but I have just today added another system I used with some success last year. I tend to forget/ignore my precious, sweet, quiet, compliant children. So, I am using "I was caught being good" coins to reward those who respond quickly to requests such as getting out materials, or those who are walking quietly down the hall. I keep a handful of coins in my pocket and just hand them out at will. At the end of the day for each coin they've earned, they get to clip up a color. I had some happy campers today! We'll see what tomorrow brings!
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Other direction
Old 10-27-2015, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I moved from first to second a few years ago. I had the opposite reaction. Second is so much easier! I guess perspective makes all the difference.

Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sue too

immature behaviors
Old 10-30-2015, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There are just too many of us feeling the same way. I do want to know how to deal with it, but honestly I am doubting that lasting change will happen, so my next question is why is this happening? I have come up with lots of excuses for them but I'm not sure. Is it because they run the house at home? Is it because they are so young for second graders? Is it the number with split families? Is it the fault of the common core? Is it because we have asked them to talk so much with their think, pair, share partners that they think they have to talk all the time? Why don't they care? Why aren't they upset when we get upset? Are they narcisists? Are they watching something on TV that makes this behavior look normal? Does anyone have an opinion?
Sue too is offline   Reply With Quote

DLP

Constant Talking
Old 10-31-2015, 01:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Having taught 2nd grade for 20 years, I can tell you that the last five years has been a significant decline in concentration and behavior (mostly talking). We have talked about it at our grade level and all think it could be that these kids are on devices all the time. They want instant answers and don't like to stop and think for more than 3 seconds. I, also, don't think that their parents ever give these kids any "quiet" time. They are continuously on the move from place to place and are never encouraged to display any self-control. Our Open Houses have changed. The kids are wild and crazy. Their parents don't even notice. There are critical thinking papers that I did easily with 2nd grade 8 years ago; these kids now cry when given the exact same papers. They have so much trouble being quiet and thinking. It is startling for me to see these changes.
DLP is offline   Reply With Quote

FitTeach

Decline in Behavior!
Old 11-03-2015, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, it is quite startling! This is my 23rd year of teaching. Here are the facts - parents are giving in to many things. Poor diet - more sugar - catering to what they want - allowing them to be consumed with video games and technology - and we are dealing with all of it at school. The diet is so directly affecting their attention span. It's not just 2nd graders. I have taught 1st through 6th - and it is a growing problem.
I am working 5 times as hard as I did in earlier years to keep them motivated and grabbing their attention in as many creative ways as possible. I had a student's aunt who is a topnotch business woman earning a 6-figure income and she said we are truly underpaid as teachers for all we do. Her workload doesn't even touch what we do!
FitTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Declining Behavior
Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree that too much device time is affecting the behavior of kids these days, but the parents are changing too. I've had parents who volunteer for special events so they can be with their kids and they spend more time checking their cell phones than interacting with their own children..
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

crookshanks11

7 years in 2nd
Old 11-07-2015, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

After 6 years of kiddos making me nuts I took a team members idea: Friendship Time. I don't have to keep up with Dojo, handing out stickers, or anything else. So, what is this? Well, my students earn 15-20 each day of free activity time. They start off the day with it, everyday. If work is not complete, they have to finish it during this time and may just get 5 minutes. If they don't follow directions, act out, whatever, they lose it. Period. I have several activities on a shelf that includes: snap cubes, dominoes, drawing pencils/books, beads (for sorting), puzzles, Highlights magazines, balance scales, blocks, and Legos. They choose an activity on the sign up sheet-they are encouraged to choose what they WANT to play with not WHO they want to play with. They are not allowed to switch activities and once there are 2 people per activity that activity closes. My students cherish this time, they want to work hard for it and they do. If they miss out for misbehavior they have to sit at their desk, head down, no talking, no reading, nothing. They will only miss it once! It takes practice to make it work, but after a week or so, they are pros! I hope this helps!

crookshanks11 is offline   Reply With Quote

fatcat6

Friendship TIme Questions
Old 11-09-2015, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love the idea of Friendship Time! Do you have it everyday? How do you keep track of the minutes lost and sign-ups? I think something like this might work since the only thing they seem to care about outside of talking to each other is recess! Thank you of your help!
fatcat6 is offline   Reply With Quote

wadswob

I share your pain
Old 11-09-2015, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I feel exactly the same way!! And the parents don't seem to get it. I'm at my wit's end this year.
wadswob is offline   Reply With Quote

totallycrazy

Friendship Time
Old 11-10-2015, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Friendship time sounds great! I'm going to try it very soon.
totallycrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

CatGal

Old 11-11-2015, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thank you for this idea. I have a clip system, but I was just thinking the same as you - I am ignoring the positive behaviors too often and this is a good and easy idea to try.
CatGal is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 11-11-2015, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I use smelly stickers and mechanical pencils as rewards for positive behavior. I agree with all of the comments. My colleagues and I have had the same discussions. We think it's a combination of devices, busy schedules, busy parents, and not enough responsibility or accountability. Throw in the common core and no one wants to think.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 11-12-2015, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I love your idea JavaMamma
Wish I could use it subbing
I agree about the behavior. I loved teaching and interacting with the students but the behavior really burned me out
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 12-01-2015, 12:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We have time last me that called a Fun Friday... However if Inhad it everyday Id probably get in trouble
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAMASUZE

Friendship Time....
Old 12-06-2015, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

This sounds like something I'd like to try after Christmas break. I've been wanting to do way with my clip chart consequences for winter, but didn't quite know what to do. Thanks for the suggestion!--gingerbreadw-->
MAMASUZE is offline   Reply With Quote

LP-teri

Tickets or Tallies classroom management
Old 01-02-2016, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

This is also my first year at 2nd after teaching 7 years of 5th grade. Although I taught many years of early primary early in my career, kids are different and the dynamics of my current school are very different than former ones.

I also use tickets (the ones on a roll that you can buy at WalMart.) However, I hand them out randomly and often to students for positive behavior. There are days (usually when they are struggling) that I hand out many tickets. The week before Christmas break, I went through a LOT of tickets. They get one, put their name on it, and put it in the jar for Friday's drawing. On Friday afternoon, I give away 8-10 passes, with prizes like Trade Chairs with the Teacher for the Day, Lunch Buddy Pass, Choose from the Prize Box, Sit by a Friend for the Day, etc. (No candy or gum allowed at my school.) After the drawing I dump the tickets and start over for the next week. For the first semester, my class chose to only allow 1 prize per student so if someone gets drawn twice another name is drawn.

For my friends that might be less motivated by this system and need an occasional negative consequence, earn tallies on my clipboard (after a couple reminders of course.) Each tally earns them a lap around the soccer field at recess. So ultimately, they aren't "losing" recess time, just the choice of free play for a bit. I haven't had any students do a whole walking recess, but some of my colleagues have.

What I am really hoping is that they all matured an exceptional amount over the holiday break and that I can eliminate the tally option next semester. ... Dreaming is always important, right?
LP-teri is offline   Reply With Quote

groovychic

Who are these kids?
Old 01-03-2016, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I believe that the common core has something to do with this. Our K's are subjected o material that is not developmentally appropriate for them and not enough material that teaches then basic social skills. Add to this households with both parents working and trying to 'appease' the child out of guilt.
groovychic is offline   Reply With Quote

carrieSAtoUSA

ESL 2nd grade
Old 02-02-2016, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I had to move to Paraguay because our visa / Green card application was having difficulties (loooong story and bad lawyer lol), but I ended up teaching 2nd grade after being in 5th for the last 8 years. Not only am I happy to see that my kids are like all the other classes I've been reading about, but I also have to deal with the fact that 16 out of the 18 speak Spanish as a first language, so I have that difficulty too. The talking and doing what they please drives me crazy. I use Class Dojo and a clip system, but I've seen some great ideas here too. Love this website!
carrieSAtoUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

carrieSAtoUSA

Thanks
Old 02-07-2016, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

My 1st grade colleague does tickets too. It's a great idea. I think, though, that I would have to make my own tickets because I haven't seen rolls of tickets here. Thanks!
carrieSAtoUSA is offline   Reply With Quote