Help

Second Grade

Failing miserably at second grade

>

Lawndart

Failing miserably at second grade
Old 09-27-2016, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I'm failing, badly, at teaching second grade.

My classroom management isn't working. There are a few kids who act out every single day, pretty much all day, and I have no effective strategy to deal with them or give them consequences that will change their behavior. Then there are the bulk of the other kids in the class who, when they see those few kids getting away with it, act out or talk to their friends instead of listening.

My lessons are also not very engaging. The kids seem bored and listless, which I'm sure is why talking and acting out seem much more appealing. I've been trying to make my lessons more interesting and faster paced, but I can't seem to spark any student interest outside of 2-3 students.

Just got another warning that if I don't turn the classroom around, I'll be replaced. So I'm not sure I even have the time to implement any changes to either of these two failings, but I would still love some advice on how to change things, if indeed they still can be.

Lawndart is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 09-27-2016, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry you're having a rough time.

I don't know how tough your group is, but some of these ideas might help.

*Set the tone for the day from the first moment students walk through the door. Have bell work on the desks and ready to go. Greet the child at the door. Show an interest in them and comment positively.

* Own the room. Watch your posture, demeanor, and positive vibe.

*Write your schedule on the board and act excited about the wonderful day ahead of them.

*Have an activity planned every day. Switch them from desks to carpets, to on their feet, to turn and share.....just add as much variety as possible. Check out Whole Brain Teaching. I like it, use it, and have great success with it, but it fits my personality.

*Praise the kids on one side of room, or group or person who pays attention, then watch for those who don't normally participate and praise them when they do.

If you let us know what units you're currently teaching in reading/writing/and math, then the many great posters here on PT could probably come up with some suggestions for engaging activities!

Good luck!
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 09-28-2016, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just read an article about Whole Brain Teaching
http://ashleytipton.weebly.com/whole...-teaching.html

I love everything I have seen involving WBT, but my confidence level in myself is not there yet. I am afraid of not being able to do it, but I plan to try to incorporate some of this into my teaching.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 09-28-2016, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

All of the above that Song of Joy mentioned, PLUS... Start calling parents. If you've given a warning and the behavior (I'm guessing it's continuous talking while you are teaching) doesn't stop, get on the phone right then and call Dad. Don't just save it for the really bad ones. Do it to the first person who violates your rule after one warning. If it's a usually nice kid, even better. They'll know you aren't just saving it for the really bad behaviors. You're going to have to make an example out of someone. It won't kill them, and the rest of the class will know you mean business. You might have to do it for two or three kids in the first hour, but things should quickly get better after that.

Having said that, it's only fair to do that if you've given them very clear expectations about what they are to be doing, and don't have any down time. If you're not prepared with your materials and they are just sitting there waiting for you, they are going to get restless - that's second graders for you. Every lesson doesn't have to be a dog and pony show, but you do have to keep things moving. Make sure they know exactly what they are to do when they finish an assignment. If they decide to talk or goof off instead, pick up the phone.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 09-28-2016, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm a big believer in positive behavior management. I use a packet I bought on Teachers Pay Teachers where you laminate strips of yellow paper and call them gold tags. Students receive a tag for making good choices. I put mine in a pail and I walk around the room giving them out to students who are following directions. The off-task students see this and immediately do what they are supposed to do. These tags are them used for free time on Friday afternoon. If students are still making bad choices, I assign a logical consequence.

To control the chattiness, I use a jack in the box. If students are too loud (I have a traffic light on my board and change the colors to indicate the current voice level), I turn the handle and music plays. If the box is closed at the end of the day they can play on the iPads for ten minutes.

To make lessons engaging, turn it into a game or craftivity. In math we are working on addition. I assigned 8 math problems today. Once students had been checked, they were allowed to make a bat and glue their math problems onto the wings. It made it more existing than just doing the math problems alone.

Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

hopealope

Pbis
Old 09-28-2016, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Try www.pbisworld.com it is a great website that will give you strategies that you can use with the misbehaving students. The site is user friendly. you select the behavior you want to work on and it gives you strategies to try. I also think you need to try a ticket system to promote the behaviors you want to see. When you see a student doing what you want them to do give them a ticket and say something like- I like the way you respected learning by getting started right away or I like the way you respected others by working quietly. Then you could allow students to cash their tickets in for things like write with a pen, sit by a friend, lunch with teacher, have a stuffed animal at your desk 10 minutes drawing time, free homework or homework help where they get to pick one problem that you go over with the whole class. Also set a positive tone in the room that we are a community and we need to work together as a team to be successful. Don't give up I think if you show you are trying and willing to work on it they will come around. Good luck, please keep us posted on you success.
hopealope is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

behavior management
Old 09-30-2016, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For a while at least, try an old method like a clip chart or similar. I still use one and it works well for me. Have the children clip up or down on the chart according to behavior. Those who clip up get rewards, those who clip down get consequences, BUT they can redeem themselves and clip up for starting to behave. I also carry "caught being good" coins in my pocket to hand out when we are walking in the hall, etc. Each coin lets the child clip up one time.

Go on pinterest and find free printable games and activities to match what skills you are teaching. Print off copies and make your learning fun that way. My kids LOVE doing this!

Hang in there! Some classes are just more challenging than others to reach. I should know...I've had some DOOZIES! Just 2 years ago I cried every day for the first 6 weeks...and I had been teaching 34 years at that point!!!!!
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

I just want to let you know
Old 09-30-2016, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

that I am thinking about you. You received some great suggestions. Make sure you take care of yourself as well. Sometimes keeping a routine and things simple helps. In your math have certain components you do each time...problem-solving, a lesson, an activity to support basic math facts. There is a game called "Bump" that is easy and there are many fun card games. One of my classes favorites is "Make10 Go Fish." Take out the 10 and face cards and they are to make pairs with sums of ten. Teaching is hard, I hope that things look up for you.
calumetteach is online now   Reply With Quote

Deer01

Old 10-02-2016, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

What great advice everyone has given. One thing that has worked well for me is for the students acting out, have a leadership role for them. For example, have them pass out papers, be the line leader, hold the door, etc. I know my second graders love to help out and it makes them feel good. I am going to attach a behavior sheet that I have used in the past. You can make changes based on the behavior in your class. Every day, the kids earn money based on their behavior. Then every Friday, they go to our classroom store. It works like a charm for my difficult students. Being consistent is critical when it comes to classroom management.

If you find the lessons not engaging, then you need to change things up. If you find the lessons boring, then they are. Music is a great way to spark things up in your lesson!

Another piece of advice is Enrichment time on Fridays if time allows. My students who are well behaved throughout the week are able to participate on Enrichment time...computer time, legos, art (construction paper, markers, tapes, glue), experiment, etc.

Lastly, hook up with another teacher at your school. When I was new to my grade level, my principal allowed me to observe another second grade teacher at the school.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2Behaviorsheet.doc (31.5 KB, 87 views)
Deer01 is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Glad you're here
Old 10-02-2016, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I taught second grade for 9 years but I'm currently teaching a different grade level. I just wanted to say that all of the wonderful advice shared is spot on. You came to the right board. The second grade teachers here are fabulous. I hope that you will continue to keep them updated and post often. Welcome to PT!

pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

justdc5

It's never too late
Old 10-08-2016, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It is a 3 day weekend, so get ready to have the first day of school over again. I spent weeks teaching my procedures and expectations. I had some moments in the first couple weeks thinking they just weren't getting it. But, now they have finally adjusted to how 2nd grade is. They know the routines, and can do them even without me initiating.

A lot of people posted a lot of great things. I would choose only the things you can follow through with. In my class I use the card system. The students have to keep a daily behavior journal if they flip their card and have it signed. I also started using brag tags. I have a ceremony every Friday for them to "show off" their tags. Friday is the day I also give out a lot of "My teacher likes it tags" throughout the day.

You can do it! Choose what you want to do. Don't worry if they are bored, not everything in life is going to be fun and exciting.

Last edited by justdc5; 10-08-2016 at 03:04 PM..
justdc5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Management
Old 10-17-2016, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have had a miserable time with classroom management this year. I started Class dojo last week. It seems to be helping. I have been teaching nearly 30 years. This group is really hard. Hang in there!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Challenging Class
Old 10-25-2016, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm struggling myself. Thanks to all who shared ideas.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 10-26-2016, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

You could make a chart with a list of behaviors and their names. Keep a tally of behaviors. Have a Reward like Fun Friday. If they get more than X marks, they don't participate.
okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-27-2016, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I would also recommend looking into Love and Logic and Class Dojo. I love them both.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsK2008

How are things going?
Old 03-10-2017, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I just came across your message and wanted to check in to see how the year is progressing?
MrsK2008 is offline   Reply With Quote